Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

GoodReads Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) I'm not sure how many of you have noticed, but there's a new feature on GoodReads! It's a challenge setter that'll keep track of your goal for you!

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/2...

You set as many books as you would like, however many you want to read in 2011 and that's it! It's pretty neat I think even if it is simple.

I was thinking we could keep chat about our challenge with one another. Just talk about progress or what books you've read, etc.

So! I've set my goal at 50 books... I'm hoping to be able to read that many. I get distracted a lot though.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My goal is 25 but i'm a slow reader so idk how i'll do...

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) yeah I noticed it yesterday. LOVE IT!

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments My goal is 70. Audiobooks count...right?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

idk...

message 6: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) Here on Goodreads any book counts. Short stories, graphic novels, and audiobooks count. They don't count re-reads though. Maybe if you change your date it will be counted.

I set mine for 150 books, but the challenge for myself I set this year before this was 50,000 pages. I will still count my pages to see.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I found the challenge setter as well - I was really excited by it. I have set a goal of 104 books to read in 2011. I'm a little scared.... but a lot excited, I've never tracked the books I have read before, so this will be new to me. Good luck everyone on all of your goals!!!!

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison I have set mine for 50 books...I've always wanted to read 52 books a year....closest I have ever come is 45...so this is the year to make it to 50!

message 9: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 34 comments I set my goal for 75. That might be over doing it a bit.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) My goal this year will be 100 books, I'd like to beat my 90 books read in 2010!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I hit 83 books last year, and that was while I was still in school, so I set my challenge for 100 books this year. I don't know how realistic that is, especially since I'm starting the year out by reading War & Peace!

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I set my goal for 100. But I completed 2 books so far this year and it has only counted one of them...not sure why.

message 13: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 414 comments Mod
I'm not interested in a numerical goal, wish there was a different way of setting one.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) ★Meghan★ wrote: "I set my goal for 100. But I completed 2 books so far this year and it has only counted one of them...not sure why."

Sometimes you have to refresh the page or log back in to see the change, this happened to me to today.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I set mine goal to 50. :)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments I set mine as 50. My goal last year was 100 and I failed miserably. So im setting a more realistic goal this year.

message 17: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Lori wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "I set my goal for 100. But I completed 2 books so far this year and it has only counted one of them...not sure why."

Sometimes you have to refresh the page or log back in to see ..."

I have logged off and back on since I filled it our and it still says 1 book. Oh well. I know that I have completed two books since at least.

message 18: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Have you clicked on the little 1 of 100 Books link for your challenge? When I did that it updated for me. I was having the same thing where it only showed one completed.

I'm glad to see all the participation in this! Once it gets a little more attention I think I'll total up our goals as a group and we can keep track of that as well. =]

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) ★Meghan★ wrote: "Lori wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "I set my goal for 100. But I completed 2 books so far this year and it has only counted one of them...not sure why."

Sometimes you have to refresh the page or log b..."

I'd go back to the book that isn't showing up and double check that it's marked as read Meghan. Other than that I don't know why it wouldn't show. Hope this helps.

message 20: by Tai (new)

Tai (msglam) ★Meghan★ wrote: "Lori wrote: "★Meghan★ wrote: "I set my goal for 100. But I completed 2 books so far this year and it has only counted one of them...not sure why."

Sometimes you have to refresh the page or log b..."

Check the date read if you marked it as read on Jan 1 it won't count it. I had to changed the date read to Jan 2 for it to count all of my books I have this year. Hope this helps.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthab1984) | 2 comments I set mine to 100, I've already read 6 this year (I have no life) so I should be able to make it. I just hope the library can keep up with me!

message 22: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Well it looks like all of a sudden today it updated. Like you said Tai it wasn't counting the 1st. Today it showed up though.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Strohschein | 2 comments I set my goal at 52 books this year. I hope I can make that.

message 24: by Archer (new)

Archer Wish it had been around last year.. My goal for 2010 was a 100, turns out I read 113.. Set my goal this year for 125..

It also keeps tracks of how many pages if you look at the stats as well.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthab1984) | 2 comments Mark wrote: "I'm new to Goodreads but I'm not sure I understand the challenge concept. I mean is this a new sport? Competitive reading? I read for enjoyment not to simply run up stats. Am I missing something?"

I'm new here too, for me the challenge is just to see if I can do it. I'm not going to actively try, but if I can hit my goal I'll be happy about it. Also it's a way to remind myself to add books I've read to my book list here, especially if I'm re-reading a book, I might not add it or mark it with the new date otherwise.

message 26: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) It's not for competition... it's just a goal you set for yourself. I only read for enjoyment, this is just something fun to do over the year. It's not about stats or anything like that, it's just for fun.

message 27: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Jan 09, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Oh, there's probably just a lot right now because the feature was added last week or so. It's a very new feature to the site so it's hot material.

message 28: by Archer (new)

Archer I think the reasons for doing a challenge is A. finding the right book that meets the requirements.. (Which I might add isn't always that easy) and B. just to see if you can..

message 29: by Archer (new)

Archer Mark wrote: "JK wrote: "It's not for competition... it's just a goal you set for yourself. I only read for enjoyment, this is just something fun to do over the year. It's not about stats or anything like that, ..."

And it's not like it's a requirement for membership to goups. To each their own right??

message 30: by Archer (new)

Archer Mark wrote: "Sure, as I said it doesn't matter to me either way just thought it a strange concept. As you say though, to each his own."

:)

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie (re121258) I like a good challenge. I set my for 100 which is 20 more that I read last year.

message 32: by Jessika (new)

Jessika | 2 comments I set mine for 500.

I know, that's huge compared to what everyone else here has theirs set at. And maybe it'll be totally unreachable (so I may just change it later), but I tend to read atleast 4 books at a time. Books are my obsession, and so I'm always looking for new ones. Because of that, I'll always start a book and then put it down when I've found a new one to add to my collection..and then possibly another..and then come back to the one that I already was reading.

Some people don't like reading that way, but I'm very good at remembering the story/plot even after a month of being away from a book. :]

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (ladyval) | 13 comments I set my goal for 52. I'll be happy with half of that, as I haven't been reading much the past few years.

message 34: by Archer (new)

Archer I went with 125 for this year.. Last year was 100 and I read 113.

message 35: by KimWin (new)

KimWin | 34 comments My goal this year is 130. I read 123 in 2010. I am on my 4th book of the year now.

message 36: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments I set my goal for 104 for 2011, this is the first time I have done this type of thing. I have completed 1 book so far towards my goal - currently reading 2 on my Nook - I better get busy!!!! :)

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) | 8 comments I set my goal at 50 this year. For the past two years I've read between 45 and 46. I'm working on my 4th book for the year. I like challenges. But I don't wanna stress myself out cause then I won't reach my goal. haha. Someone posted they wanted to count pages. I may try that too! Sounds interesting.

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason | 6 comments I set a goal of 50 for the year. I figure that's just about 4 books a month. The last couple years my reading has been very touch-and-go with health problems and what-not. I think this should be realistic enough for me right now.

message 39: by Konnie (new)

Konnie (mrsnaz) I set my goal for 36 books. I am a mother of 3 and I am in college. Even though I love to read I am forced to spend a lot of my reading time on textbooks and professional journals. I am sure that number is totally possible for me as I am currently on my third book for the year. ;)

message 40: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I set mine for 150 last year I set it for 144 for only made 136 or 137. I know my summer reading wasn't as many as the winter so this year I know where I did wrong and didn't want to set it lower. So will hope to hit 150 or more.
I've already finished 6 books this year.

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (heyhay24) Wow! People have some awesome goals! I set mine at 11, simply because I think I read maybe 5 last year, but with a new Nook, I'm hoping I meet and exceed my goal!

message 42: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 14 comments I set my goal for 150 books. Last year I read 115 books.

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott | 292 comments Heather wrote: "Wow! People have some awesome goals! I set mine at 11, simply because I think I read maybe 5 last year, but with a new Nook, I'm hoping I meet and exceed my goal!"

Now that you have a Nook, you always have a library with you. My reading has increased tremendously since I got mine last May.

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie (kater07) My goal is 100 books by Christmas. I'd like most of those to be on my Nook, whether Audio or Text.

Katie

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie (kater07) ★Meghan★ wrote: "I set my goal for 100. But I completed 2 books so far this year and it has only counted one of them...not sure why."

Don't forget that you have to go in and set your date read for it to count on the ticker.

message 46: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments They were set. It was just a gap in the set up by Goodreads. It now is picking up the book. It wasn't picking up peoples books read on January 1st.

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasoncostello42) | 9 comments wow, I set mine for 12, lol. is there a "kids table" for this group i can go sit at?

message 48: by Jane (new)

Jane (daggerjane) Jason wrote: "wow, I set mine for 12, lol. is there a "kids table" for this group i can go sit at?"

haha I think 12 is fine, that's one a month which is all most people have time for anyway! I think if I had a job that didn't allow me so much free time, I'd probably be aiming for around 12 as well. But as it is, I'm sooo bored while working if I don't read.

That being said, I have mine set for 100 lol. It's the same goal I have in another group. It'll be easier to keep track since Goodreads is doing it for me.

message 49: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I set my goal for 52 books this year. I'm going to give it my best shot. I completed about 30 last year so I think with a little extra push I can do it. Every book I read is a bonus so it's all good!

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (tazlina) | 10 comments I set mine for 36.

I got my Nook at the beginning of June last year and read 20 books between then and December. I wanted to set a realistic goal. Before I got my Nook, I hadn't read much at all after high school or so.

« previous 1