[asmb] Book Club discussion

Archives > Do Androids Dream... Spoiler Free Edition

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
Synopsis:
World War Terminus had left the Earth devastated. Through its ruins, bounty hunter Rick Deckard stalked, in search of the renegade replicants who were his prey. When he wasn't `retiring' them with his laser weapon, he dreamed of owning a live animal--the ultimate status symbol in a world all but bereft of animal life. Then Rick got his chance: the assignment to kill six Nexus-6 targets, for a huge reward. But in Deckard's world things were never that simple. His assignment quickly turned into a nightmare kaleidoscope of subterfuge & deceit--& the threat of death for the hunter rather than the hunted...

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

--------------------
Stats

Book: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Author: Phillip K Dick
Pages: 244
Genre: SciFi
Nominator: JK
Month: January 2011
BotM Number: 6

message 2: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

So most people probably know, or have read by now, that this is the book that inspired the film Blade Runner. How does that affect the way you go into this book?

(can't really answer myself cause i've never watched the movie)

message 3: by Jingai (new)

Jingai | 56 comments I saw this and my initial thought was that people
were going to be confused by the movie and the book.

The movie is a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel,
and to be honest I liked it more than the novel, but
I'll give the novel another go, because I haven't read
it in a long time.

message 4: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I'm have faith in the members of this group to understand it. =]

Started reading the book last night. Pretty sure I only read the first chapter, but I don't really pay attention to those so I can't be sure.

The mood machine is interesting and Deckard's wife raised an interesting point about not really living while having every single emotion (and only positive ones at that) planned out for you.

I mean, once events and whatnot stop influencing your life, when you are having no reaction to anything happening... you really aren't living. You're just a machine. Which I'm assuming will be an issue in the story - whether the androids are living and what rights they have, yadda yadda. An android may not have feelings generated by something other than a machine, but at this point in the book... neither do the humans. They're really the same thing.

message 5: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments JK wrote: "So most people probably know, or have read by now, that this is the book that inspired the film Blade Runner. How does that affect the way you go into this book? "

First thought was "god dammit, where the hell is this book?" because it's not on the shelves as "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" [so word of advice for anyone trying to find the paperback at B&N - look for the book "Blade Runner". Not kidding. ]

Second thought was "lol. 'Blade Runner'." :D

It has been so long since I saw even a hint of the movie that I don't foresee it affecting my reading in anyway. Unless it runs on AMC or TMC or something while I'm going through the book because then I'll probably end up watching the movie too.

message 6: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I think I saw something for a new edition of the DVD not too long ago. Something like that at least... haven't seen it on TV lately though.

I think I'm 2/3 done with the book now... and it's pretty boring. >.<

Oh! So this book first cam out in 68 right... I got an absolute kick out of the book when it was mentioned that someone watching a 3-D movie on their TV. Like it was crazy future technology that would only be seen when we have androids so far advanced that they really are humans. We've got those TVs now, but certainly no androids like those in the book. :D

message 7: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Yeah, but this setting is in 2021, right? So it's possible to have something close to a working android by then although I'd hazard it would be more like the robots in "I, Robot" than passable human-like. Japan has done some wild things so far though...and we already have 'Fur-Real' pets out there. :D

message 8: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Well, the structural system may be well on it's way, but the AI is nowhere close. The book does take place then, I just thought the 3D TV thing was amusing to no end really.

message 9: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Uhg, much to my dismay, I finished the book. It was just absolutely stupid. I don't know how this is so popular and if, like Jingai said, the movie is very similar to the book I have no idea how that's a classic.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I like the movie. I dislike the book. I could try to explain why but a lot of the appeal of the movie is visual. I don't really find the movie to be a great deal like the book. Blade Runner takes a kernel of the book and expands it. That's my feeling anyway. If you're interested, give the movie a try. Don't hold the book against it.

message 11: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Yeah, I'll still try that out... the book was definitely lacking in the visual department. People were detailed, but that's about it. Nothing else.

I was also hoping for a more... I don't know, sophisticated?, look at ethics concerning such advanced AI and rights. Didn't really get that here though.

message 12: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments I haven't started reading this, but for my computer club back in high school we got together for movie night and watched blade runner and it was a pretty awesome movie for it's times. I think most of the Matrix movies are kinna based on Blade Runner, can't wait to start reading it.

message 13: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I'm eager to read what you have to say about it. =]

message 14: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Really I dont think the movie will have an effect on what i think of the book, mainly because its been forever since i've seen the movie. But more likely because when I first thought of blade runner I thought of Arnold Swartanager's head exploding on Mars cause he fell outside the dome, but that was a scene from total recall and not blade runner. Random i know, but its true.

I haven't really gotten that far in the book, but i can see why people say its boring, cause lets face it, it is. I dont get a lot of they stuff with the weird religion and them all holding on to some machine while they experience this together. Very odd. But Im only to the part where the main character finds out his assignment, so im really not that far in. I think what bugs me most about this book more than the things i just dont get(which im sure will come to play later in the book) is the horrible grammar and punctuation in the book. I am far a grammar nazi, anyone who reads my posts can tell I dont adhere to it; however I am just writing my thoughts and feeling not a book. When I read a book I expect the grammar to be done properly, the punctuation is seriously irking me for some reason when i read it mainly cause sentences will just stop before they need to. Maybe I am just nitpicking, but I keep wanting to take a red pen and make corrections.

message 15: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I don't snort often, but you being reminded of Total Recall when thinking of Blade Runner is hilarious.

The religion thing... it's supposed to illustrate what makes people and androids different. I'm pretty sure people hook up to that machine at the same time as others - or just are on at the same time like how there's lots of people on GoodReads at a time - and they go through the little simulation together. They see one another struggle with the task of climbing the hill or falling down. They experience what one another experience. It's that empathy that makes them human, what sets them apart from everything else.

That was my take on it at least.

Didn't notice the grammar so much... probably because I was practically brain dead while reading it. I understand the grammar thing. I have horrible grammar, but hate seeing the smallest typo or just grammar oddity in professional writing.

message 16: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah my brain does odd things and comes up with weird visual images and recollections all the time.

But their religion is just odd. I mean why do you want to be a part of something where you get beat up by imaginary things. And ill have to find a excerpt of the grammar to show you

message 17: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I think it has to do with the way they live their lives at this point. So much of their life is just fake - from the way they interact with one another to the way they see each other's pets as status items. Heck, they have machines that make them feel a certain way whenever they want. With the religion, they come to feel empathy on their own with one another. It's one of the few genuine things left in their life I think.

message 18: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Hmmm good point. I really didn't think of it that way but it makes sense in the fact that a twisted world their religion is also slightly twisted in the sense that they have to go through pain to prove to themselves that they are still human.