The 104 Book Challenge - 2011 discussion

Marie's 2011 Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments Here will hopefully follow a massive list of all the books I've read in 2011. ;-)

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 104 comments There's optimism for you!

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments That's half the battle won, right? ;-)

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments 1. City of Ashes January 1, 2011

I actually started this book last summer, but got distracted by some other book, and haven't picked it up again until now. I didn't manage to finish it on New Year's Eve, so even if I had almost read the entire book, I actually finished it this year! :D

I also keep getting City of Bones and City of Ashes mixed up, so I've been saying that I'm reading CoB, when it's really CoA. Too many cities...

I thought CoB was okay, liked CoA much better (even though I put it down for several months), and I'm currently reading City of Glass, but with work and a persistent cold, I've only read a third of it.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments Yay! Marie! I love this series...you also need to read Clockwork Angel too! I thought it was better than the Mortal Insturments series.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 104 comments Marie wrote: "That's half the battle won, right? ;-)"

Definitely!

message 7: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments 2. City of Glass January 8, 2011

I was actually a bit surprised, but I ended up loving this series. :-) At times I found it frustrating, because I read slowly, and I want to do that to savor everything. But in this series you desperatly want to find out what'll happen next, so that makes it frustrating.

One thing I love about The Mortal Instruments, is the world building. When I started City of Bones I wasn't sure where it was going, and all of it felt very convoluted, but by the end of City of Glass it all feels very real.

Nikki,
I definitely plan to read Clockwork Angel. And it's higher on my TBR list after reading CoG, but I still have quite a few books to get through before I get to that. ;-)

I think I'll tackle Storm Born by Richelle Mead next. It's one of those books I've been wanting to read for a long time.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments 3. Accustomed to His Fangs by December Quinn January 20, 2011

I really loved this book!! I've read other books by Stacia Kane (December Quinn is her erotic romance pseudonym, as Stacia Kane she writes urban fantasy.). I really love her as an author, so I was very excited when I won this e-book in a twitter contest she did around Christmas.

It's an erotic romance, so there are quite a few sex scenes, but Stacia is such an amazing author that it all feels part of the story in a way that it doesn't always in these kind of books. (She's even written a book/blog post series on how to write good sex scenes!)

It's kind of a Pygmalion/Can't buy me love, but with an Eastern European vampire. It's really fun, and Stacia does what she's amazing at; that is, getting you emotionally involved in the story.

This is a good example of why I should never say what book I'm planning to read next, because that is so dependent on my mood at the moment. I started reading Storm Born, but couldn't get into it. Finally, I decided I needed a break with something more "fun", and I read this book instead, which was just what I needed to get excited about reading again. So, I think I might tackle Storm Born now, and work on finishing it, but who knows?

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments Dang I thought I was bad at keeping up!! lol I know you're read City of Fallen Angels :)

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments Nikki wrote: "Dang I thought I was bad at keeping up!! lol I know you're read City of Fallen Angels :)"

Hahaha I know!!! I'm free tomorrow too, so I'll try to do an update then. I've actually read a few books within the past month. ;D (I've added them to Goodreads, so you can view them there/here for now.)

As you said, I've been really bad at adding my books here. First I had trouble getting into a book. Too many distractions with work and trying to maintain several websites. The websites are kind of on the backburner right now, with me reading quite a lot (after I finally found a book that got me going again). And now I'm in that almost dizzying phase when I just want to read all the time, like it's a drug. lol So things get pushed even further back. (Also, summer is here at the moment, and nobody wants to sit inside, in front of the computer. :-)