Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Moning, Karen Marie - Shadowfever (Fever, #5) January 2011

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is for discussion of Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Release Date of January 18th.

message 2: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Karen Marie Moning has made the first two chapters of Shadowfever available on her website.

Read them here.

But be warned, there are HUGE spoilers in this excerpt!

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments One of these years I'm going to go to one of the conventions or a book launch kickoff party. Moning is having a launch party (I believe) in New Orleans for this book. How fun would that be to go to. I both excited and saddened about this book coming out. I hope there is a spin off series from it.

message 4: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Lisarenee wrote: "One of these years I'm going to go to one of the conventions or a book launch kickoff party. Moning is having a launch party (I believe) in New Orleans for this book. How fun would that be to go to..."

That would actually be really fun! Somehow, too, I've never made it to New Orleans, though it's a reasonably quick drive from where I live (a suburb of Houston, TX). Katrina happened right after we moved here, and we just haven't revived NOLA plans since then. I do periodically wish my husband's company had been based in Austin instead of Houston, lol.

Have you read the first two chapters yet? Holy smokes. I think it's the best writing I've seen from her yet.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I kind of try not to do that sort of stuff because it's like torture. I'll be first in line at the store for the book on Tuesday. I'll check Wal-Mart first, they are surprisingly good at stocking new releases. If I don't see it out I'll flag down the head of the book department and they usually go searching for it. Since I've seen other Moning books out recently I'm betting they'll have it. If not, Target will be next on my list and finally the last resort will be B&N or Borders. I've got a plan. LOL Can you tell I'm a little obsessed with some books? On the 28th I'll repeat the process for Rivermarked. I love Patricia Briggs' Mercy series.

message 6: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments That's some serious legwork, Lisa! I totally admire your persistence in hunting things down, but I freely admit I'm of the "order it and let it come to me" camp, lol! I bet you actually get some of these books in hand well before I do, though.

Side note: a Twitter friend recently revealed the pitfalls of walking into Target as a shopper who's made the mistake of wearing a red polo shirt. It was hilarious.

message 7: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Oh, I can just imagine. lol

message 8: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Just finished this one. Whew!

*wipes brow*

This one's going to be almost impossible to talk about without major spoilers. The whole big is a giant spoiler.

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Beyers (mandybeyers) | 173 comments Galla wrote: "Just finished this one. Whew!

*wipes brow*

This one's going to be almost impossible to talk about without major spoilers. The whole big is a giant spoiler."

But it sure is GOOOOOD! I loved the HEA

message 10: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments I feel like KMM waved a big wand and conjured up as many ways as possible to blow people's minds, lol.

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I have a little over a hundred pages left. So good. I'm torn between wanting to know what happens and not wanting it to end. :)

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Done! OMG! How can anyone devise so many twists and turns? Loved it. Also loved the "For Now". More Barrons please. *giggle*

message 13: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I was so super impressed that Moning totally had me guessing through all the books. I usually guess the twists and culprits way before the end of books. But she throws out so many red herrings and possibilities that I couldn't do it. I totally didn't see the Alina murder culprit coming. I'm so glad it ended HEA. ('cause that's just the kind of girl I am.) I was SO sure that it wasn't going to be HEA.

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 19, 2011 01:19PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Any ideas of how she'd do a spin off on this one? What did you thing V'lane's plans for her would have been? Did anyone see him as being the fifth prince?

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) My guess would be Moning's going follow Dani and the cleaning up of the world for the next series. I think V'lane was just using her to get to the Sinsar and wouldn't care what happened after he achieved his goals. What do you think? I was 50/50 on whether the 5th prince was V'lane or Ryodan. Anyone plan on reading the graphic novel?

message 16: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I just noticed that a good chunk of my GR friends are reading this book.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yes, Sashana you need to get with the program, er, series? lol

message 18: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What things are you still wondering about at the end of this book?

What things did you like most about the book?

message 19: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 19, 2011 05:16PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What things are you still wondering about at the end of this book?

Did anyone else notice that V'lane sounds an awful lot like Villain? Does anyone think that Moning did this on purpose?

I'm wondering about how Dani and Mac will make up.

Ryodan seems to have some hidden agenda. Is he the Ry-O Dani was talking too?

Christian was described by Barrons as being Fae Royalty. Could Mac via the book have recreated the song that creates the Fae?

The book inside of Mac seemed to do a lot of good. Do you think maybe Mac shouldn't have frozen the lake inside her? What if all the book really wanted was to be accepted by someone and Mac is that someone.

What things did you like most about the book?

V'lane being frozen in the block of ice naked. Does anyone else think this is going to lead to trouble? I laughed at this one.

The HEA as I stated before, but is it truly HEA?

I loved that Moning made it so I couldn't predict the outcome. This one's going into my list of top 10 Gotcha books. If anyone one says they predicted this ending they are a BIG FAT LIAR.LOL

message 20: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lisarenee wrote: "Yes, Sashana you need to get with the program, er, series? lol"

I will, but the good books keep piling up on me.

message 21: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I loved that Moning made it so I couldn't predict the outcome. This one's going into my list of top 10 Gotcha books. If anyone one says they predicted this ending they are a BIG FAT LIAR.LOL"

LOL! Yeah, I was pretty sure Mac would think Barrons would be dead, but that KMM would find a way to bring him back. I also thought Dani (on Rowena's orders) might have had some involvement in Alina's death.

What I was wrong about? Everything else. ;)

I really did love the book. The world KMM has created is truly amazing, and I suspect she has more surprises in store for us. Focusing on Dani next seems like a logical way to go. She also left herself a really big opening at the end by implying that, in the vacuum created by the UK's removal of the Seelie Queen/concubine, fae power seems to seek out strong females to wield it--and Mac was possibly in a position to be the one who inherits that power. I can't see her wanting the job, but fae power doesn't really seem to take personal preferences into account, lol.

I haven't written a review yet, largely because I feel like I sort of need processing time on this book (so much going on), but a couple of things about it bumped it down from five to four stars for me.

One was all the talk about Mac's "bipolarity." For one thing, "bipolar" to me has specific clinical connotations, and that's not how KMM's using the term here. The other, more important point is that Mac talks about her "lifelong feeling of bipolarity" in this novel, but where was it in the previous installments? I certainly didn't see that sense of hidden Cold Places and depths in Mac 1.0--and it's a shame. I suspect I would have liked Darkfever a whole lot more if Mac had been more layered as a character from the very beginning.

My other issue is that I can't fully get behind Barrons's death and subsequent reappearance as a plot device. It was emotionally effective, but it's also emotionally manipulative on an author's part, just like evil cliffhangers, and--in other stories--amnesia episodes, "it was all a dream" sequences, and "surprise! You're siblings!" storylines. Here, the device also served to stretch out the Barrons/Mac angst in a way that seemed a little manufactured to me, though I'm of course delighted that they made it through to the other side.

message 22: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 19, 2011 11:08PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Galla, Good point. I had actually forgotten about the bipolar mentioning in the book. When I read it I remember kind of questioning it as well, but with everything else going on kind of put it on a shelf and forgot about it. I agree I don't quite see anything that would suggest that Mac was bipolar. She seemed fairly content with her life prior to everything that happened. It did strike me that Moning may have used the term incorrectly. I actually knew 2 people with the condition and had looked into the it when they confessed they had it. Even in this book I really didn't see anything that would suggest Mac was bipolar. I saw no signs of depression or moodiness beyond that of the norm, quite the opposite. I wonder if the term she was searching for was duality. Since Mac is part human and in a way part fae. Even so it almost seemed Mac didn't make the connection with the book until she drank the potion. Kind of like the book had lain dormant in her because, like you said, we didn't hear about the Cold Place in any of the previous books.

As for the emotionally manipulative death device used in the book. I loved it even though I figured there was no way she'd kill off Barrons for good. I thought maybe it would have been some kind of allusion that the silvers projected on her. I mean I didn't expect most of that world to be what it seemed.

I must say that I truly do wonder what does the man eat? Maybe I should let that one go, but if you were dating the man wouldn't you want to know?

message 23: by Galla (last edited Jan 19, 2011 11:28PM) (new)

Galla | 110 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I wonder if the term she was searching for was duality..."

That would have been a much better term for it, I think! It's just difficult to appropriate a term from a well-known psychiatric disorder and then use it in a different way. Duality would have made more sense--and how interesting would it have been to have some of those dark moments when Mac was still obsessed with suntanning and the color pink? It would have actually hooked me more as a reader.

As for what he eats, yeah, I'm not sure I want to know, either. He certainly didn't seem to be happy when he was grilling steaks. Maybe I'll just stay happily in denial and pretend he eats a whole lot of sushi. Even if it's raw cow sushi, or occasionally people sushi... no! Not going there. :P

message 24: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So I was looking at Moning's website and found the following:
"KMM SIGNS NEW THREE-BOOK CONTRACT Random House acquires the rights to the next three novels set in the Fever World! Fun fact: KMM hid the title of the next series somewhere in Shadowfever. Can you find it?"

Any ideas what the name for the next book is?

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments I loved this book. Moning is definitely the queen of plot twists and keeps you guessing all the way to the end of the book. I was also extremely happy that Barrons was not killed off for good. I probably would have thrown the book at the wall if that was the case. I also loved seeing more of Dani in this book because she cracks me up. Overall I was satisfied with how the series ended, yet was left open enough for a spinoff.

As a new series I really hope that we will get to find out more about Christian and what happened to him in the Unseelie prison. I also hope to see more of Dani as the Mega. I'm not sure about what the name for the next could be, but I'm sure it will probably be obvious once it is announced.

message 26: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm guessing the next series may be called The Dark Zone or Dark Zone. It's the only thing I could see that had a nice ring.

message 27: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I could never get through the first book, but everyone is raving about this one. I think I'm going to have to try again. Since everyone here's read them all, can I skip the first if I absolutely have to? I'd really like to give this series a try.

message 28: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shay, How far did you get into the first book?

message 29: by Shay (last edited Jan 27, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Shay, How far did you get into the first book?"

Maybe 50 pages. It's not that I ever officially quit and got disgusted with it so much as it's a book I would just put down and forget about. Then, eventually it was due at the library and I'd return it. So, it wasn't a book thrown across the room in disgust kind of not finishing.

message 30: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I believe I own the first book. I'll try to get it out on Sunday and write you a synopsis here about what happened in the first book.

message 31: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I believe I own the first book. I'll try to get it out on Sunday and write you a synopsis here about what happened in the first book."

Thank you. Does that mean I can probably skip it. Quite a few people have said it's the weakest book and that once you're "into" the series, it's easier to read. Kind of skip it then treat it like a prequel.

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Go ahead and reserve the second book. I'll try to extract the important stuff from the first book. I'm just going to be busy until after Saturday.

message 33: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Go ahead and reserve the second book. I'll try to extract the important stuff from the first book. I'm just going to be busy until after Saturday."

Thanks. I just picked up 7 books from the library so I have reserve spots free.

message 34: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments Shay wrote: "Does that mean I can probably skip it. Quite a few people have said it's the weakest book and that once you're "into" the series, it's easier to read. Kind of skip it then treat it like a prequel"

Shay, you can absolutely skip the first book. The second book does quite a bit of recapping; I think I even said in my (very short) review of the second book that I wished I had started there, since the characterization in the first book bugged me.

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shay, I will try to create a new heading under Moning tomorrow and call it something like Darkfever Spoilers. I've been checking out the book again so that I can write it all down for you. It'll kind end up looking like a Guide book to the Fever series.

message 36: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Shay, I will try to create a new heading under Moning tomorrow and call it something like Darkfever Spoilers. I've been checking out the book again so that I can write it all down for you. It'll ki..."

Thank you. I got the book from the library.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I'm a little late to the party. I just finished Shadowfever and I must say I loved it. The middle lagged just a bit, but in all it was brilliant. This might sound retarded, but I am still having a little trouble wrapping my head around what Barrons is. I don't know if it said and went right over my head or if I am just to dumb to piece all the evidence together. Help, please?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shadowfever (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Marie Moning (other topics)