Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Games! > Whats that scene?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 221 (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Thanks Sharon for the fun game idea!!!

1. This game involves selecting your favorite scene from a BR you have read. The scene must be one that knocked your socks off, or ripped at your heart, or rocked your world (get the picture?)
2. Write out the scene, then members must discover which Title that scene comes from.
3. The first member who gives the right answer is next to write out their favorite scene.

Ok Sharon... Go!

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Thanks Jennifer, this thread ought to be easier for me to find again :) Here is my clue for the scene that absolutely took my breath and almost broke my heart...

The heroine has returned to the room she and her husband are staying at....

"She pushed the door open with a sensation like plunging head long into a mill-brace and was about to look back to beckon the lawyer into the room ahead of her when some charged quality in the silence within crossed the threshold to meet her.

the hero "________ had been standing facing the wall with arms outspread, his head had been resting against the cracked plaster, his hands were clenched fists, but instead of straightening fully when the door opened he still stood where he was, rigidly tense as though he had been about to tear down the walls with his bare hands and his slanting eyes blank with disbelief."...

the heroine "_______ felt herself begin to tremble, an uncontrollable shivering that started deep within her and spread through her whole body. Shock had set that strange face into the chilling impassivity that was his shield, but for that one instant she thought she had seen beneath the harshness, the dry cynicism, to something that had looked like utter despair"....

message 3: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments No clue... but I wish I knew!!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "No clue... but I wish I knew!!"

Hopefully someone will guess it pretty quick. I read this story a while back and many books ago, but it stuck like cement in my mind and still has the power to melt my heart and want to shed a tear every time I think of it.

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
Oooh, was it Devil's Deception? I know you were really loving that one when you read it.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Karla wrote: "Oooh, was it Devil's Deception? I know you were really loving that one when you read it."

Sorry babe, but here's a clue

DEVIL is in the title

message 7: by Karla (new)

Hmmm, I hope it's not the book that I've chosen my scene from! :P

Another guess....The Silver Devil?

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments You are VERY hot, but no potato yet

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Karla wrote: "Hmmm, I hope it's not the book that I've chosen my scene from! :P

Another guess....The Silver Devil?"

BTW, if your scene is from the same book, write it and I'll probably recognize it and either not guess or guess lame. :)

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments YOU ARE THE WINNER! Jeanine

STORMFIRE, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL, THE SILVER DEVIL all ran neck in neck for my favorites in 2010. Highly recommend these 3 to all.

Your turn woman

message 11: by Karla (new)

Caress and Conquer!!!!!!!!! :D (That is on my TBR shortlist for the month. Must read it soooooooon!)

message 12: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments Aw shucks!! 26 minutes late on this one and I actually knew the answer!! I knew I should have logged on to goodreads as soon as I got to work this morning!!

Good job Karla :)

message 13: by Karla (new)

OK, my scene...it's a bit long & I've shortened it, but I LOVED it and the rest of the book was awesome too.

"Poor frightened virgin." His tone was caustic. "What is it that revolts you? Is it this?"

His free hand caught hers, pressing her fingers hard against his blemished cheek. Beneath her fingertips was the faint roughness of shaven skin, then the harder smoothness of his scar. She had thought it would be cold, like a snake's skin, but it was warm, a pitiless indentation in the ravaged flesh that was the width of one of her slight fingers. She gave a cry of protest as his hand impelled hers, tracing the brutal disfigurement to his mouth, and his lips brushed her palm in a mocking caress. ....

Now there was hardness against her, forcing a yielding that made her gasp and cry; then within her, painful and inexorable. She moved futilely, like a shot bird, and then was tremblingly, pantingly still.

"Please--" her voice was ragged and breathless with panic -- "please, I cannot. I cannot!"

She opened her tear-wet eyes to find him watching her levelly, as if his mind and emotions had no part in his merciless ravaging of her body. Then he said in a voice she barely recognized, "Can you not?" and moved.

Her body convulsed, doubling to meet the pain as if she had taken a lance-thrust. She had no knowledge that the instinctive movement jerked her into a lover's embrace with the man she hated, only that the arms that held her were safe and strong, and rocked her as though to soothe away the pain.

But the rocking was not soothing at all. It was fire and ice and raging torrents rushing through her, and she clung gasping to his broad shoulders as if she feared to lose her hold.

message 14: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I feel like I've read this scene before, but I'm not sure.... here is my wild guess: Forever My Love

message 15: by Karla (new)

Nope! It's a HTF book, if that's a clue.

message 16: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments Is it from the one you read recently? Bitter Passion, Sweet Love

message 17: by Karla (last edited Jan 05, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Nope....try again. :)

ETA: The author wasn't that prolific. Another clue!

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Oh
I LOVE that scene Karla!

message 19: by Karla (new)

Sharon wrote: "Oh
I LOVE that scene Karla!"

*shivers* I know, right? :D

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Hum, is the hero's name Tristan, or Felipe, or possibly Phillip?

message 21: by Karla (new)

Oh, I think so. :) Correct! The scene's also from The Flesh and the Devil by Teresa Denys.

You want another turn, Sharon? :P

message 22: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I guess I've got to read that book now! I've had it for about a year, just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Yippee!
I have got to get my hands on this book...keep hoping I'll run across it at a reasonable price. Until then, I'll bide my time...impatiently while I re-read the e-version.

Ok, I'll go next - again - unless someone else is burnin to get their scene on the screen. I will wait , but not long... :) So, anybody - go for it

message 24: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I've got a scene ready to go, but I want to "earn" my rights first. :P

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "I guess I've got to read that book now! I've had it for about a year, just haven't gotten around to reading it yet."

There is so much in this story - not to give a SPOILER, ha, but there is a small portion that refers to the INQUISITION. If you are not familiar with that Period I don't believe the reader will get the full impact of scars that child is forever tormented and marred by. This is not really brought out in detail, it's just a small nugget dropped, but as I earlier said, if you are familiar at all with the horrors of the Inquisition, that nugget is actually an atom bomb.

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments OK time's up
Here's my scene

One of the Indians had built a small, smokeless fire that illuminated the area well enough that _______ (heroine) could not help but see what was happening, and if ever she prayed to go deaf it was now.

Not one of her friends had a stitch of clothing on, and each was being raped by a different savage. Not a sound came from ___________ (one of the women) as a grunting, sweating savage rutted over her. __________ (another woman) was sobbing loudly and crying out, and _______ (another woman) was screaming at the top of her limitless lungs...
Her eyes zeroed in on ________ (the youngest 15 yr. old woman) struggling beneath her grotesque captor. The ugly beast was thrusting himself into ___ (her) tender flesh with a malicious vengeance, while he kneaded and bit at her bruised breasts.

message 27: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments (*speechless*)

I'm curious, but in a can't-stop-looking-at-the-car-accident way.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Tammy wrote: "(*speechless*)

I'm curious, but in a can't-stop-looking-at-the-car-accident way."

Hahaha

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Silken Savage by Catherine Hart?

message 30: by Karla (new)

Crikey! O__o

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Okay that actualy sounds alot like your opening for your "write your own BR""

Yep, it does. I realized that while I was writing this scene. But at the time of writing "Let's write a BR together", it never occurred to me. Shame on me.

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Yes, the title is Silken Savage SILKEN SAVAGE by Catherine Hart.

Congrats Creeker! Your turn ;)

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Thanks Sharon!
Okay here's mine...

Hero picked her up imprisoning her wildly flailing fists and feet. Rage thundered in his ears as he pinned her across his lap and brought his broad strong hand down hard across her buttocks.

Hero hit Heroine. He rained slap after heavy slap as she lay imprisoned across his knees. At first the feel of her body pressed to him made his passion flare, but that only increased his rage, so he hit her as much to beat the passion from himself as to punish her. He'd lost count of the times his hand descended.

message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments That scene sounds very familiar...was the scene in Devil's Desire by Laurie McBain

message 35: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 06, 2011 10:46AM) (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Nope Neither :)

message 36: by Karla (new)

Is it Stormfire by Christine Monson ?

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Nope :)

message 38: by Karla (new)

Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers ? Haven't read it, but sounds like a good choice!

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments I know I must have read your scene recently this year because it sounds sooo familiar. I'll check my stack for the the ones where the H was at his wits end with his little spitfire h...

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Nope Karla but you really do need to read that lol :)

message 41: by Karla (new)

*sigh* My TBR "shortlist" is growing pretty long. :P

message 42: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 06, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments heres some more...

As Hero rage ebbed, the pounding of blood no longer echoing in his ears, he stared down in horror at the prone girl across his lap.

What have I done? What is the matter with me? The shock of his own lack of control and brutality shook him to his very core. He sat still not knowing what to do or how to undo the hurt he had afflicted.

I know I know not a very good hint :P
I gotta run errands, be back later

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments I'd guess Dangerous Obsession by Natasha Peters but I read that one too many years ago to remember correctly. I know the H never would have felt disgust with himself for his actions.
So, out of my recent spitfires, is it The Taming (Cameron, #1) by Aleen Malcolm ?

message 44: by Karla (new)

Taming is a great choice...and now that I think about it, I think you're right. :)

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Taming is a great choice...and now that I think about it, I think you're right. :)"

I did a quick search for THE TAMING in my books, but can't find it. I hope I didn't get rid of it:/

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments You got it Sharon :) I loved that book.

message 47: by Riccarla Roman (new)

Riccarla Roman | 19 comments Is the spanking scene from "Whitney, My Love"?

Riccarla

message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments Riccarla wrote: "Is the spanking scene from "Whitney, My Love"?

Riccarla"

It's from The Taming by Aleen Malcolm.

message 49: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Ok

I don't think I'll do another "looks like a car wreck that you don't want to look away from" scene after this one - I promise :) It's just that the writing is so superb, which makes it one of my favs..

So, here it is:

I'm going to give a bit of set up before the scene

A white girl has been taken by a band of Comancheros, now 30 Comanche warriors have entered their camp...

"An unnatural stillness fell over them when they spied the Comanches. One man (comanchero) who had been scratching his crotch, froze with his hand clamped to his groin...

His (Comanche warrior) gaze riveted to the 3rd wagon on his right. Something blue & white hung from the rear wheel...he saw it was the girl, her thin arms lashed to the spikes, head hanging to her chest. All that remained of her blue dress was the tattered skirt...

The Comancheros, about 20, showed the proper respect & moved aside to let _____(warrior) pass as he strode toward the 3rd wagon....

Rage. It hit him like a well-placed blow to his diaphragm, cutting off his air...swallowing the roar of anger that tried to crawl up his throat. This was the spirited child who had confronted him with a rifle? Her thin white arms were peppered with black-and-blue marks where cruel fingers had dug into her flesh. Her chemise had been torn away, baring her chest, and through the curtains of her tangled gold hair, her small breasts protruded, swollen & purple. Her tattered skirt rode high, and he saw that the milky skin of her inner thighs was caked with blood and dried semen...

_____(warrior) knelt on one knee, the toe of his moccasin nearly touching her bare foot. In the dust he could see that other men had knelt there. Many times, judging by the disturbed earth."

« previous 1 3 4 5