75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Challenge) > Darya's 75 in 2011

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darya (last edited Jan 08, 2011 08:52PM) (new)

Darya Conmigo (conmigo) I read 65 books last year (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...), so maybe it's time to raise the bar and give it a taste of a real challenge :) Or simply see where it takes me - it's still more about reading than about results, although competing with yourself is always tempting.

Last year was extremely fruitful for me: I discovered several great authors and read a few books that made it to my favorites list. Even more importantly, I generally I enjoyed the majority of my reads. The only thing I've missed over the last few months was good academic nonfiction, mostly ethnographies and anthro/social sciences theory, so I'm going to try and read more of those now, even though I'm not in college anymore.

Oh wait, I actually am in college - it's just that I work there this time :)

Choo-choo!

message 2: by Darya (last edited Dec 19, 2011 06:46AM) (new)

Darya Conmigo (conmigo) 1) January 4 - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
2) January 7 - Квест. Роман-компьютерная игра by Boris Akunin (Rus)
3) January 8 - Slaughterhouse 5: Or, the Children's Crusade, A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut
4) January 29 - Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
5) January 31 - Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee*
6) February 12 - The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter*
7) February 18 - The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (Rus translation)
8) February 19 - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
9) February 26 - The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk (Rus translation)
10) March 5 - Emma by Jane Austin
11) March 7 - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Rus translation)
12) March 11 - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Rus translation)*
13) March 13 - Polyglot: How I Learn Languages by Kato Lomb (nonfiction; language learning, interpreting)
14) March 20 - The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (Rus translation)
15) March 21 - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (Rus translation)
16) March 30 - Same-Sex Cultures and Sexualities: An Anthropological Reader (nonfiction; anthro, sexuality)
17) April 3 - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
18) April 7 - Emily the Strange: The Lost Days by Rob Reger
19) April 13 - Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf*
20) April 23 - Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
21) May 08 - The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
22) May 15 - Beloved by Toni Morrison*
23) June 06 - White Teeth by Zadie Smith
24) June 30 - Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg (Rus translation)*
25) July 17 - The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (Rus translation)*
26) July 24 - The Princess Bride by William Goldman/S.Morgenstern
27) July 27 - Radio Murakami by Haruki Murakami (Rus translation)
28) August 21 - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
29) August 24 - 1Q84, #1 by Haruki Murakami (Rus translation)
30) August 28 - 1Q84, #2 by Haruki Murakami (Rus translation)
31) September 5 - Дом, в котором... by Mariam Petrosyan (Rus)
32) September 18 - 1984 by George Orwell*
33) September 24 - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
34) September 30 - G. by John Berger
35) October 1 - Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote*
36) October 5 - Kitchen by Banana Yosimoto (Rus translation)
37) October 20 - What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami (Rus translaton; non-fiction, running and memoirs)
38) October 30 - Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (Rus translation; reread from long time ago)*
39) November 9 - Snow by Orhan Pamuk
40) November 12 - Amsterdam by Ian McEwan*
41) November 22 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by Joan Rowling
42) December 14 - Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (Rus translation)
43) December 17 - The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes*
44) December 19 - Дар Шаванахолы by Max Frei*

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Oxford World's Classics) by James Joyce Квест. Роман-компьютерная игра by Boris Akunin Slaughterhouse 5 Or, the Children's Crusade, A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut Catch-22 by Joseph Heller The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter Disgrace  by J.M. Coetzee The Name of the Rose (Vintage Classics) by Umberto Eco The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon Музей невинности by Orhan Pamuk Emma by Jane Austen The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez Polyglot How I Learn Languages by Kató Lomb The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson Same-Sex Cultures and Sexualities An Anthropoligical Reader by Jennifer Robertson Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke Emily the Strange The Lost Days (Emily the Strange Novels, #1) by Rob Reger Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa Beloved by Toni Morrison White Teeth by Zadie Smith Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera The Princess Bride by William Goldman Radio Murakami by Haruki Murakami Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 1Q84, #1 by Haruki Murakami 1Q84, #2 by Haruki Murakami Дом, в котором... by Mariam Petrosyan 1984 by George Orwell Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie G. by John Berger Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami Snow by Orhan Pamuk Amsterdam by Ian McEwan Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) What a great start to the year! Some great reading on the list so far. I can't wait to see what's next.

message 4: by Darya (new)

Darya Conmigo (conmigo) Christy wrote: "What a great start to the year! Some great reading on the list so far. I can't wait to see what's next."

Christy, yes, I am curious myself :)

message 5: by Darya (new)

Darya Conmigo (conmigo) Summary: 44 books, 15 of them in Russian, 3 of them non-fiction.
Discoveries of the year: Ian McEwan, Julian Barnes, Milan Kundera, J.M. Coetzee.
Re-discovery of the year: Haruki Murakami.

message 6: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
Darya, I had fun looking through your list!

message 7: by Darya (new)

Darya Conmigo (conmigo) Andrea, yes, it was a good reading year even though I haven't even approached my goal.