The African American Book Critics discussion

Hello Everyone!!!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chappell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Chappell Grant-Willis (cagwillis) | 4 comments Mod
Let's start by listing a couple of our favorite books.

I have one that I buy and give as a gift often that that is

Sapphires and Other Precious Jewels: Discover and Celebrate the Beauty of Women of African Descent (Paperback)
by Terri Mcfaddin

This book was so inspirational to me that i started a women's group here called Sapphire Sisters (we have a website and everything) I think it just puts such a unique positive outlook on the female condition (for lack of a better word today). Very uplifting.

Have any of you read it?

I have others but this one sticks out right now.

message 2: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Margaret | 1 comments a couple of my favorite books are The River Where Blood was Born by Sandra Jackson Opuku
and Sugar by Bernice McFadden and another is their eye's were watching God by Zora Neal Hurston.

message 3: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 1 comments Several favorites of mine are:

Lucy, by Jamaica Kincaid, Sula by Toni Morrison, Sugar & This Bitter Earth by Bernice McFadden, The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips, Jonah's Gourd Vine by Zora Neale Hurston, Homeade Love by J. California Cooper, Kindred by Octavia E. Butler, Casting The First Stone By Kimberla Lawson-Rowby, Mama by Terry Mc Millan, The Hand I Fan With by Tina Mc Elroy-Ansa, and finally Sapphire's Grave by Hilda Gurley Highgate.

I have made it a point to introduce one of these authors/books to my loved ones and friends as a gift during the holidays or special occasions.

message 4: by Adriane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Adriane (justbooks4me) | 2 comments I've never heard of it but after what you've said about it I am definitely going to read it.

message 5: by Chappell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

OOO you have marvelous taste in books. Those are some of my favs as well!

message 6: by Chappell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

You will not regret it! You can get on amazon.com for about 0.50!!!

message 7: by Ebony (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Ebony Farashuu (ebonyfarashuu) | 1 comments So far, my favorite read has been MY SOUL TO KEEP by Tananarive Due.

message 8: by Adriane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

Adriane (justbooks4me) | 2 comments Hey Ebony, I just brought My Soul to Keep since I loved Voodoo Dreams, I wanted to check out some more of her books, glad to know its a keeper.

message 9: by TheStoryBrooks (new)

TheStoryBrooks (blackliterati) | 1 comments hello all...i would have to say some of my faves are:

some love, some pain, sometime- j. california cooper
mama- terry mcmillan
always outnumbered, always outgunned and walkin' the dog- walter moseley
sugar- bernice mcfadden
the complete short stories of zora neale hurston

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Frankenstein (other topics)