Business Startups discussion

Top 3 motivating books for business owners

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Jan 03, 2011 08:56PM) (new)

Dan Graham (dan_graham) | 5 comments Mod
What are your top 3 motivating books as a business owner/leader? Which books have you found that really impassion you to succeed?

message 2: by Mike (last edited Jan 11, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Mike Ogilvie (ogey) | 3 comments Made to Stick Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath or Switch How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath
Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson
The E-Myth Revisited Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber

Made to Stick or Switch by Chip and Dan Heath. I'm torn on which is better.
Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson. I was surprised at how good this was.
The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. Perfect read for someone starting or growing a business.

What are yours Dan?

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Graham (dan_graham) | 5 comments Mod
You picked great books! I haven't read The E-Myth yet but I really enjoyed the other 3 you posted. I would probably pick:

The Fountainhead - I read this before I started my business and found it to be incredibly internally motivating in a "get out there and make something of yourself" kind of way. I've read it a few times since and it always gets me going.

Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way - I really enjoy this book because it shows the crazy side of entrepreneurship and points out over and over how you can make up your own rules to do what you want to do in business, although I definitely avoid endangering my life as frequently as Branson.

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die or Rainbows End - These sit on opposite sides of the time-usefulness spectrum for me. I think Made to Stick is a great book with a lot of immediately applicable ideas to business whereas Rainbows End paints a fantastic picture of the world twenty years out and is a great reminder of the speed of technological change and the forward thinking you need to maintain success in business through the years.

message 4: by Chandan (new)

Chandan Aribam | 1 comments 1.I would say Peter Church's book Added Value-the life stories of Indian business leaders. Amazing insight on some truly inspirational people. The book is an excellent primer for anyone seeking to do business.
http://www.amazon.com/Added-Value-sto...
2. Rework by Jason Fried
3. E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber

message 5: by Joel (new)

Joel Meek | 8 comments 1) E-Myth (Michael Gerber) is such a great overview of entrepreneurship
2) The One Thing You Need to Know (Marcus Buckingham) provides so much wonderful info on managing, leading, and producing
3) get More Referrals Now (Bill Cates) explains how to build and run a business that warrants referrals, and then helps plan to get them
3a) Good to Great (Jim Collins) is a classic for most any business people

message 6: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Manu | 1 comments God owns my business by Stanley Tam and understanding financial prosperity by David Oyedepo as are great books that helped me create a billion dollar business.

message 7: by Joel (new)

Joel Meek | 8 comments Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey is another great read that I've read (actually listened to) 3 times over the past several weeks...

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Smith (therobertd) | 1 comments Joel wrote: "Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey is another great read that I've read (actually listened to) 3 times over the past several weeks..."

Joel, EntreLeadership is fantastic!! I second that suggestion.

Two more books with great business AND life principles are:
The Greatest Salesman in the World, by Og Mandino
The Traveler's Gift, by Andy Andrews

message 9: by Joel (new)

Joel Meek | 8 comments I actually own "The Greatest Salesman in the World," but I've not had (or made) the time to read it yet. I've not heard of the other, but I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the suggestions...

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (Kevin_Louis) | 1 comments I read a book "How To Start An HR Consultancy Company?" by Sanita Singh. People who want to start a business (HR business most preferred) can be really beneficial. Several topics covered in this book are common for any business and not just HR Recruitment Firm. Hope it might be helpful.

message 11: by Roger (new)

Roger Reid | 2 comments So many authors and books have offered inspiration and motivation - here are a few:

The Greatest Salesman in the World - Og Mandino (seems to be popular within the group)

No Ordinary Moments - Dan Millman

Real Magic - Wayne Dyer

Roger Reid

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick Marquet (Nickmarquet) | 1 comments Hey,
Late to the party...but thought I'd add my 3 Top motivating books for business owners:

The Thank You Economy - Gary Vaynerchuk
The 4 Hour Workweek - Tim Ferriss
Delivering Happiness A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose - Tony Hsieh

Some great ones here I have been looking at prior and will now try.

Nick Marquet

message 13: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 2 comments Thanks for your input. I really want to read the 4 hour work week.

message 14: by Erin (last edited Aug 19, 2014 07:21PM) (new)

Erin Baebler (erinbaebler) | 2 comments Wow--there are so many books mentioned that I need to add to my list to read.

I've just read a pretty great new book called Dream Year: Make the Leap from a Job You Hate to a Life You Love for those interested in making the leap into entrepreneurship.

The E-Myth Revisited is a great one.
The Four Hour Work Week was very motivating to me as well.