Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > DEAD RECKINING (possible spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacywells) | 45 comments The next book in the Sookie books is DEAD RECKONING and the first chapter is posted on Charlaine's site...http://www.charlaineharris.com/DeadRe...

What are yalls thoughts on the first chapter?

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) Well, there should be more than one chapter. :P It's pretty good. I already want to know why someone threw a Molotov cocktail in Merlotte's. And, as always, I like how Sookie thinks when Eric is around. She loves him, but he can be a pain in the... neck. But if he wasn't, he wouldn't totally be himself!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments pretty good start, I'd say. I'm the most curious about Eric, he's not usually so moody and whatnot…. interesting….well, looking forward to the whole book…...

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) I also wonder why Eric is like this... Can't wait!!!! When is the due date for this book?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W. | 26 comments Amazon is showing release date of May 3 2011. It's gonna be a loooong wait. Glad to know there are others who share my obsession with Sookie and her world. What a tease Charlaine is with her one chapter ;)

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacywells) | 45 comments Okay, I want to know what's going on with Eric too...wasnt he a little like that also in the last couple of books? I think he is distracted by Sookie.

Harris is a tease! At least we got that one chapter, now the wait is only 4 months away. Im hoping this book is better than the last.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) 4 months... not too bad... better than 2012... (the 8th book of another serie I love is due in 2012!) so 4 months is good!! lol

message 8: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (nat_ethereal) | 13 comments I am sooo hooked, but was it just me or did the style of writing seem different in the first couple pages to the way Harris wrote the rest of the chapter and the book series???

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments Natalia wrote: "I am sooo hooked, but was it just me or did the style of writing seem different in the first couple pages to the way Harris wrote the rest of the chapter and the book series???"

I think you're right….or maybe it's just been awhile since I've read a sookie book, but yeah, the it didn't seem to flow for the first few pages, but by the end of the chapter, I was in an ready for more

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W. | 26 comments Funny you mention that Natalia, I actually re-clicked to make sure i didn't load something else LOL

message 11: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (nat_ethereal) | 13 comments Stephanie wrote: "Funny you mention that Natalia, I actually re-clicked to make sure i didn't load something else LOL"

Haha, Yeah I don't know why but it was just weird for me at the beginning, didn't flow like it usually does...

message 12: by Siempre (new)

Siempre (josiehaustin) | 91 comments Oh man I am so mad I can't wait I NEED to know more :(

message 13: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle (nicolleg1992) | 4 comments Hmm... I love this series but I was disappointed with the last book. I have no clue how Harris is going to end the series and what will happen to the characters... I hope this series starts to wrap up know because I don't see how there is much else to work with... Without milking it. I hope this book is gd and by what I read on her website it looks promising... Hopefully this novel will revive the series :(

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) This book was not available on Nook yet :(

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia | 58 comments Jayme, why would it be available on Nook now when it's being published in May?

It's a good tease for the book. Maybe she'll release a chapter each month until the book comes out...

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Julia wrote: "Jayme, why would it be available on Nook now when it's being published in May?

It's a good tease for the book. Maybe she'll release a chapter each month until the book comes out..."

That would be complete torture~! LOL

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (susannaf88) | 1 comments Nicolle wrote: "Hmm... I love this series but I was disappointed with the last book. I have no clue how Harris is going to end the series and what will happen to the characters... I hope this series starts to wrap..."

I totally agree with you Nicolle. I think it is becoming very obvious that she is running out of material to keep it going. I wish that she would just end this on a good note while it's still pretty descent.

message 18: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) It was a bit boring...I hope the other subsequent parts are more exciting.

message 19: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (roberta88) | 2 comments I think it was a good openning for the book. Lets face it...Chapter one's are never to exciting.

I am lovin eric as always but i def interested to see what the queen is like what is going on in Bon Temp.

message 20: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments Chapter three is awesome and it's posted on Penguin's website.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments Cindy wrote: "Chapter three is awesome and it's posted on Penguin's website."

awesome, is chapter 2 around somewhere?

message 22: by Soluus (new)

Soluus I did like the first chapter but I have this horrible feeling Sookie and Eric aren't going to stay together - and with only one or two (?) more books until the end of the series, it looks like a very real possibility. Who knows, maybe Sookie ends up happy by herself. Maybe she dies. I secretly wish Eric would turn her into a vampire, though.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments So, this is a whole different side note, but I’ve been re-reading the books, and I gotta say, I miss Quinn, I am sorta secretly hoping that Quinn makes an appearance…..I was all about the weretiger, I felt like he never got a fair shot…...

message 24: by Julia (new)

Julia | 58 comments I agree totally Heather. Sookie's reaction to Quinn being devoted to his family, when a family is what she says she wants, is to dump him?!

Is his family "baggage?" What adult doesn't have baggage? Did he handle it badly by not calling her? Yes, he did. Sookie needs to give Quinn another chance.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments exactly Julie, thats what I’m saying….

message 26: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) It wasn't so much that Quinn's family had "baggage" as it was that Sookie recognized that with his mother being mentally ill and his sister also somewhat so Quinn would not have the time--and probably not the mental/physical resources--to devote to any kind of "love life". Speaking from experience (altho MY Mum's is Alzheimers) you really don't have much of a capacity for "other things" than taking care of them. Even when they are in a facility (my Mum is in a Nursing Home that is only 8 miles away from where I live--even tho, with the traffic, it can take me up to 45 minutes to get to her) its still a LOT of effort and energy. Thankfully I already HAD/HAVE a husband to help with this. And we've been through it once before with my father-in-law. But I KNOW that if we weren't already married neither of us would have had the time or energy to invest in getting to know someone we'd just met. Oh, we we don't have the added disadvantage of having to "pay off" vampires who have been forced to hide the damage that my Mum and/or father-in-law have done.

Having said all that--I too really LOVED Quinn. And am hoping that he might make a re-appearance and this time be able to have a relationship with Sookie. And yes, I DO realize that that means that his Mum would have to die. And that he'd h ave to have gotten out from under the debt to the vampires. (And can we say--they really do make the Mob look like also rans when it comes to paying protection.)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it was good for the first chapter. I found myself not as interested in the fire itself though but my favorite part was Pam. I love her sense of humor.

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber | 63 comments Susan wrote: "Nicolle wrote: "Hmm... I love this series but I was disappointed with the last book. I have no clue how Harris is going to end the series and what will happen to the characters... I hope this serie..."

I get the feeling that she is setting the stage in this last book. There was a lot of information rather than action...it is a build up book.

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Finally read the first chapter! Darn show and lack of a recent book had me all messed up. I forgot that Eric and Sookie are a couple!

And Heather, Anna, Julia, I too am hoping for a Quinn reunion! I really liked him and his hotness!

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments Nicole wrote: "Finally read the first chapter! Darn show and lack of a recent book had me all messed up. I forgot that Eric and Sookie are a couple!

And Heather, Anna, Julia, I too am hoping for a Quinn reunion!..."

Maybe we should petition Charlaine harris for a Quinn cameo, or spin off at least...

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) Soluus wrote: "I did like the first chapter but I have this horrible feeling Sookie and Eric aren't going to stay together - and with only one or two (?) more books until the end of the series, it looks like a ve..."

I can tell you almost unequivocally that they will not. I saw Charlaine Harris speak after the last book came out, and she stated very clearly that she does not like Eric and never intended for him to be a hero in the books. Unless she changed her mind (or was engaged in some plot line misdirection) I don't think they will stay together. Personally, I hope she was lying. Because I really like him and want him to be with Sookie. Unless he was replaced by Quinn, who I liked more than any of her other boyfriends (even with his family drama/baggage).

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments I am all for Quinn getting another shot, I know I’ve already stated, but here’s to wishful thinking….

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Has anyone read the last book lately? I'm going to start reading Dead Reckoning in a couple days but I honestly can't really remember what was going on???

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) I believe that at the end of the last book (view spoiler)

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Thanks!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) @ Rachel - That was book 9 Dead and Gone, book 10 was Dead in the Family that dealt in the aftermath of 9...

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) Thanks Nichole. Clearly that one did not stick with me at all... Perhaps I would benefit from a re-read before I move on to the next Sookie. lol

message 38: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I bought my copy today. :)

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Nichole wrote: "@ Rachel - That was book 9 Dead and Gone, book 10 was Dead in the Family that dealt in the aftermath of 9..."

Wow, apparently I REALLY don't remember what was going on!

message 40: by Amber (last edited May 03, 2011 11:21PM) (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 7 comments Dead in the family is based around Sookie getting over her injuries from book 9 & Eric getting into the new regime with Felipe & Victor. Victor gets some vamps to try and kill Sookie & Pam & Eric's maker comes into the book with his brother who goes on a killing spree & they end up dying near the end. Sookie & Claude also figure out that Dermot had a spell put on him & the book ended with Sookie & Claude breaking the spell on him. I only finished reading it last week :)hope this makes sense was just trying to summarise without boring everyone :)

I started reading Dead Reckoning yesterday.

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Did anyone plow through it yet? DETAILS!! LOL!

message 42: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I just read the summary.

message 43: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacywells) | 45 comments I just read DEAD RECKONING and all I can do is a facepalm and head shaking.

message 44: by Nicole (new)

face palm and head shaking!! doesn't sound good...

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambermay_5) | 7 comments I flicked through pages last night while I was reading & a few things I read I wasn't overly happy about, so I will agree to the facepalm & head shaking & I haven't even finished it!!

message 46: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I finished it off. And, well, (view spoiler)

Oh--and for all us Bubba fans--he's back in this book. YYAAAYYYYYYYY.

message 47: by Stacy (last edited May 04, 2011 08:50PM) (new)

Stacy (stacywells) | 45 comments Anna I agree with you 100% and I would add Bill to that list as well.

I would go further and say something about Sam, but I dont know how to do that cool "view spoiler" thing like you, haha.

message 48: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Little Spoiler
Of what I read from the summary, I was sad to hear that Merlotte's burned to the ground. My poor Sammy and Sookie.

message 49: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Ok Jayme--you will be relieved to know--Merlotte's did NOT burn to the ground.

And in order to do the "hide the spoiler thing" what you do is type <$poiler> only using an S instead of the dollar sign. To end your spoiler hiding, you'd type $poiler> (again, S instead of $) and that's all there is to it.

They added this feature not too long ago (maybe 3 or 4 months) and I've LOVED it ever since.

message 50: by Nicole (new)

I loved the part with Bubba. A definite highlight as well as the ONLY sex scene with Sookie and Eric! Needed more sexin'! I *almost* wanted her and Bill to do the nasty in the hidey hole! And Alcide when he was all naked up in her bed! More sexin' Charlaine!

Oh and didn't the story of her Gram and her Fairy Grandfather remind you of the Heart song All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You?

-It was a rainy night. When he came into sight. Standing in the woods. No umbrella and no coat...

-Please please understand! I'm in love with another man! And what he couldn't give was the one (or two) little things that you caaaaaaan!!

LOL

« previous 1