50 Books in 2011 for my friends around the world discussion

Danielle's 50

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments American Gods

Just finished this one. Its a bit strange but entertaining. The multiple stories involved in the main storyline was the most interesting.

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Mlot | 8 comments i didn't know they taught reading in Georgia?!

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Insults from the days of yore.

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Mlot | 8 comments I should probably spend more time reading, and less time antagonizing, no?

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Spoken like a true teacher :)

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

People have been recommending these books to me for years so I finally thought I would read them. I love the movies and so after seeing Deathly Hallows I gave it a shot. First let me say I understand this was a kids book and although the story is awesome and is a quick read I had one issue, the book lacked detail. For the first time ever I preferred seeing the movie before reading the book. I never say that! I like my books to paint a detailed picture for me especially with as much that is going on and the surroundings being so new and fantastical as they are in this world. Kids would grow bored quickly with such description, but I like it. I did like the book and am going to continue with the series.

message 7: by Brook (new)

Brook Jadczak | 30 comments i'm also hoping to finally read the harry potter books this year.... i was EXPECTING a lot of descriptive writing in the series. hmmm.....

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Brook, I still cant put them down and am half way through the second one. I was so irritable when the library was closed and I couldn't get my hands on that second one when I wanted. Give them a shot regardless.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling

4/5

Im hooked. I can't put them down.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait until you get to the last two.

message 11: by Brook (new)

Brook Jadczak | 30 comments alright! i'm totally reading them next. danielle, if you were angry at the library, they've got to be good! :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

They are really good books.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling

4/5

When I finish a book we watch the corresponding movie. So good!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Prisoner of Azkaban is when the movies start getting good.

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Mastering the Zone The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss by Barry Sears

I recently got into CrossFit and The Zone seems to go hand in hand with this work out regime. I decided to read and try this because my brother has been doing it for a few years and is the most fit person I know. Also I am constantly striving for super health. Its not a diet but rather a lifestyle change that promotes a hormone balance in your body by eating a specific ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fat based on your body type. I'll let you know how it goes.

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 6/50

Enter the Zone by Barry Sears

Good. More of the scientifics than the other one. I feel like I understand more of the effects certain foods, and their amounts, have on my body.

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 7/50
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling

Holy crap this book was amazing, my favorite thus far.

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 8/50

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling

It took hundreds of pages for this one to start getting really good. Cant wait for the next!!
3/5

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 9/50

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Remarkable story and an incredibly brave man but not a great book. 2/5 rating. The climbing jargon was lost on me and I wasn't really interested in his background. The chapter about the amputation was the most interesting of course. I definitely did a lot of skimming. Curious what the movie is like.

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 10/50
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling

Holy shit, awesome! I admit there were tears but this book was great and I have already started the next.
5/5

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 11/50
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

5/5

I can't believe its over, these books were so damn fun. Love love love them. Read them if you haven't. Excellent!

message 22: by Brook (new)

Brook Jadczak | 30 comments Danielle wrote: "Brook, I still cant put them down and am half way through the second one. I was so irritable when the library was closed and I couldn't get my hands on that second one when I wanted. Give them a sh..."

i'm doing what you're doing with the Harry Potter books & movies. i just watched the first movie again and seeing it again for the first time in years was interesting. the book was pretty good, but the movie was not so good. the directing was awful and the special effects were sub-par. i just finished the second book last week and really enjoyed it and will probably watch the second movie tonight. i seem to remember the third movie being the best..... we'll see once i get there.....

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The first two movies and the last 4 have diff directors. From the 3rd one on they are way darker

message 24: by Brook (new)

Brook Jadczak | 30 comments i know!!! i just didn't remember the first one being SO BAD!!!!

message 25: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments I agree with Evan, they get progressively better. I am really looking forward to seeing the last movie and going to Hogwarts at Universal, someday.

I love Mrs. Weasley.

A friend recommended another fantasy series that I will start soon called A song of Ice and Fire, Ill keep you posted on those.

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 12/50
Shattered Dreams My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer
1.5/5

Not Harry Potter.
I had to force myself to finish this one, not that interesting. I do love a polygamous memoir but this one I would not recommend.

message 27: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 13/50
Lost Boy by Brent W. Jeffs
2.5/5

Cant stop reading polygamist memoirs. When you grow up on an FLDS compound with very little contact with the outside world and no formal education you usually are not a good writer. This does not mean the story is not powerful, but I have picked up on a pattern here.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe the book would have been better if his 5 moms helped proofread it.

message 29: by Brook (new)

Brook Jadczak | 30 comments Evan wrote: "Maybe the book would have been better if his 5 moms helped proofread it."

ahahaaaaaaa!

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 14/50
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

4.5/5

This book was so good. It's the first book I have not been able to put down since Harry Potter. It's a little hard at times to get get used to reading the southern dialect of some of the characters, slows me down a bit. I had seen the trailer for the movie and it made me a little misty so I went out to get the book and was not disappointed at all.

message 31: by Brook (new)

Brook Jadczak | 30 comments Danielle wrote: "14/50
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

4.5/5

This book was so good. It's the first book I have not been able to put down since Harry Potter. It's a little hard at times to get get used to reading the..."

uh oh.... now i'll have to read it when i'm through all the HPs.... i've taken a break from HP for another book in the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series.....

message 32: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 15/50

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

Explains why we crave/eat what we do and how the food industry is screwing us. Great information but gets really repetitive after awhile, pushed myself to finish it. Still pretty eye opening though.

2.5/5

message 33: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 16/50

I spent so much time trying to get through Jane Eyre I have really fallen behind. I gave up on you Jane!!

Orange is the New Black My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman

This was a really fast read. There weren't any gory violent parts, just a good story about how time in prison sucks but the people around you can make it better. So ladies if you have to go to prison I suggest Danbury.
3/5

message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 17/50

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

The human interest part of this book was more interesting than the science aspect. Its split between a Lacks family history/story and the HeLa cell story. It was OK, kinda dragged at the end.
2.5/5

message 35: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 18/50
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

The first book I read on my Kindle! Loved it. The story is so gripping. It took hold of me from the beginning and I finished the book in less than 2 days. The only thing that could have made this better would be more depth in the writing. It is obviously written as a young adult series, but the story is still awesome. Onward!

4/5

message 36: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 19/50

Catching Fire

Excellent! I love this story. Its a little strange how gory and violent it is for a young adult series. I was hooting out loud in this one!
4.5/5

message 37: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 20/50
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

I become very emotionally invested in characters of books I like and this series was no different. I loved this series, loved it. At this point I am really hoping Hollywood doesn't fuck this up for me. I read them too fast! I will probably read them again in the future. Such a cool story line and I am such a sucker for a strong female lead, especially a bow and arrow wielding bad ass. If you can I strongly suggest reading this series.

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen Leacock | 58 comments I really want to read these books after reading the reviews from other people, but they are not yet available in the Asia Pacific region for kindle purchase. Prejudice against the antipodeans.... so unfair!

message 39: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments So unfair!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I like that you two are talking. Cause you two are the New Zealand and American version of each other.

message 41: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments ^awesome.

I am now going to re-read The Hunger Games because I cant get interested in another book.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 17 comments Danielle wrote: "^awesome.

I am now going to re-read The Hunger Games because I cant get interested in another book."

Ha! THG did kind of ruin reading for me for a few weeks. I'm jumping back in with the Spin series by Robert Charles Wilson. They look like good old-fashioned sci-fi adventure fun. Give them a look if you're into that sort of thing ;)

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 17 comments Danielle wrote: "^awesome.

I am now going to re-read The Hunger Games because I cant get interested in another book."

OH, ALSO, I tried to fill THG void with Uglies-Pretties-Specials. DON'T DO THIS. Uglies was awful.

message 44: by Karen (last edited Aug 06, 2011 09:29AM) (new)

Karen Leacock | 58 comments I have just ripped my way through THG series, and now am faced with the same problem.... Everything else seems so slow and BORING!!!
(Yay for Evan and all his kindle books - ask and you will receive...)

message 45: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments Jessica-Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into those and stay away from the uglies.
Karen-Evan gave me all his books too! What a prince.

message 46: by Danielle (new)

message 47: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments This is by far the slowest I have ever read in my adult life! I'm a bit disappointed in myself. Full time teaching is very time consuming.

message 48: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 22/50

Bossypants

Lighthearted, super funny and a breeze to get through. This is the perfect book to be reading when you find out the head of the upper school where you work is buying drugs from a student and that is partly why the student body has zero respect for the school.

message 49: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 58 comments 23/50

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

Read this on Evans recommendation. Really good, really interesting. I keep reading these books that unveil more and more corruption and although educational also very aggravating.I like his writing a lot and am going to look into his other books.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

He also wrote "Men Who Stare at Goats" which was also very interesting. I like his books cause its about him processing the information he is learning.

« previous 1