Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

eBook Lending

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Sooooo.... now that it's official for the Kindle (and has been official for a while for the Nook(?) and other readers, anybody willing to share their books? Just thought I'd throw that out there. *wink*

PS. I was kind of bummed to see that some of my better books aren't lendable (for the Kindle). Anybody know if that's that, or are books slowing being changed to "lendable" status?

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) How do you do it? That's the part that confuses me. And can any kindle do it?

I suppose I need to go do some research. I'd be up for lending but I dont' have all that much ON my Kindle yet, since it's so brand new.

message 3: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments ooo I didn't know that they had made it official yet but I would down to do some trading Peep!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) You go to Amazon and look under Manage Your Kindle. Then you look at the book you have. If it is available for loan, it will have a button that says "loan this book". You need an email address. I think it could only be loaned once. The person has the book for 14 days and you can't lend it again. I THINK.

message 5: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yeah, that's what it said. You can also go straight to the book by typing it in the search and if you already own it you'll have a bar at the top that says so and asks if you want to loan it.

Right now I only have one book on my kindle that's lendable. It seems you're right and the popular books aren't lendable. Boo.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It appears that it's up to the publisher! It's so annoying. And I feel bad because I hardly ever get annoyed at my Kindle but this is one those times. Most of my free books aren't even lendable! I've noticed that some of the indie books that I've bought are lendable, but sheesh. If they only want a dollar for the book, I feel bad taking away their potential profit.

message 7: by Wendy F (last edited Jan 03, 2011 01:36PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yep, that's what mine is too. It's an indie book. I have Pride & Prejudice for free, it's not lendable.

I even randomly looked up a few books I'm waiting for and none of those are lendable either.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I have a few Kindle books but they are all free! I also have Borders (Kobo) books and they were free as well. I have not downloaded the Nook App yet, because I haven't needed to since I have not read any books from Amazon or Borders yet.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Yep, totally bummed.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Out of all the Kindle books I have (almost 100), only the indies, House of Night series, Hunger Games series, Maggie Stiefvater books, Simone Elkeles books and Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie are available to loan.

message 11: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) All the books I've read, hahaha! I love it.

message 12: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments Okay so it looks like I have a few that can be loaned and most of them are cozies. Currently I have available for lending Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2) by Heather Webber Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri Quick Study (Murder 101 Mystery, #3) by Maggie Barbieri and Branded (Fall of Angels, #1) by Keary Taylor .

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Jaimie I am reading Murder 101 right now! You are getting past me on the cozies - I need to catch up.

message 14: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments Do you like it? I thought she was pretty funny but it took me a little bit to get her. I don't think I have come close to your cozy library but the ones I have read I have really liked.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Jaimie wrote: "Do you like it? I thought she was pretty funny but it took me a little bit to get her. I don't think I have come close to your cozy library but the ones I have read I have really liked."

I like it so far Jaimie. It kind of reminds me a little of Fatal Fixer-Upper.

message 16: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I still have one or two to go on the series but while I enjoyed the three I read I don't know if i will continue on - I read the preview chapter for the next one and kinda thought it sounded dumb.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Peep wrote: "All the books I've read, hahaha! I love it."

Doesn't it just figure?

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Jaimie wrote: "I still have one or two to go on the series but while I enjoyed the three I read I don't know if i will continue on - I read the preview chapter for the next one and kinda thought it sounded dumb."

Boo! I hate when that happens. It is hard for cozies to stay fresh sometimes. I mean, how many deaths can happen around these people? Luckily they are just brain candy for me. The only series I still really like (and I am on book 11) is the Agatha Raisin series.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 03, 2011 02:52PM) (new)

There is a Kindle sharing group on GoodReads now where people are actively sharing books. If anyone is interested, I have a shelf called Kindle Books to Lend that is all my lendable Kindle titles. Just PM me if anything is of interest.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (closer2coma86) | 83 comments I just wanted to bump this thread. I am on booklending.com and have been waiting for MONTHS for quite a few books. Anybody have anything they wanna loan to members of this group?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments I have a few books that I downloaded for free & have never read (and really don't think I should've downloaded but it was when the kindle was new, shiny and empty) and 2 of the 99¢ books that are lendable.

Publishers are being very stingy with this ebook business. In some ways I think they're shooting themselves in the foot.

(I read an article about ebook piracy today and the comments section was fascinating)

message 22: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Victoria wrote: "I just wanted to bump this thread. I am on booklending.com and have been waiting for MONTHS for quite a few books. Anybody have anything they wanna loan to members of this group?"

List the books you're looking for, maybe someone here will have them. You never know!

message 23: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 264 comments Heidi (don't listen to me) wrote: "I have a few Kindle books but they are all free! I also have Borders (Kobo) books and they were free as well. I have not downloaded the Nook App yet, because I haven't needed to since I have not..."

Nook is the same way with lending. there are hardly any books that are lendable. :(. I have an e-reader but it isn't a nook but my reader uses the b&N store for downloading and i can't lend hardly anything, my friend has a nook and it is the same way. I do think that it is up to the publisher....and a lot of them are allowing it. It is the one thing that I don't really like about my reader b/c if i had bought the print version I could share it.

message 24: by Kat (new)

Kat Zantow (kat_zantow) Very few are lend-able? That's really disappointing! I think that lending is one of the most important things you can do with a book. Indie books have to be lendable. Otherwise it's a good way to spread what the author is about. But I am saddened to hear that lending isn't the norm for publishing houses.

message 25: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I was hoping it would be bigger than it was, with more books available.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments We're still in the early stages of ebooks so I expect things to change eventually. I'm not sure that all books will ever be lendable, everything is just in flux with ebooks.