The History Book Club discussion

NAPOLEONIC WARS > 10. HF - POST CAPTAIN - CHAPTER 11 (361 - 384) (01/03/11 - 01/09/11) ~ No spoilers, please

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2011 12:55PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the historical fiction discussion of POST CAPTAIN
by Patrick O'Brian.

This is the reading assignment for week nine - (January 3, 2011 to January 9, 2011)

Week Ten - January 3 - January 9 - Chapter 11 - p. 361-384

This is the fourth historical fiction group selected book.

We will open up a thread for each week's reading. Please make sure to post in the particular thread dedicated to those specific chapters and page numbers to avoid spoilers if you are catching up.

This book was kicked off on November 1st.

This discussion is being led by assisting moderator - Christopher. During the discussion of Master and Commander, Christopher volunteered to steer us through the second book in the series. Please support him in this effort.

We always enjoy the participation of all group members. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other noted on line booksellers do have copies of the book and shipment can be expedited. The book can also be obtained easily at your local library, and may be available on Kindle or audible.

This thread opens up today January 3rd for discussion. This is a non spoiler thread.

Welcome,

~Bentley

TO ALWAYS SEE ALL WEEKS' THREADS SELECT VIEW ALL

Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin, #2) by Patrick O'Brian Patrick O'Brian Patrick O'Brian

Please feel free to research the complete Table of Contents and Syllabus on this thread and to see which version Christopher is using.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Post Captain is the second book in the series and comes after Master and Commander.

Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin, #1) by Patrick O'Brian Patrick O'Brian Patrick O'Brian

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone who wonders where O'Brian gets his reputation for stirring, action-packed naval warfare need look no further than Chapter 11.

Forget all the psuedo-literary interpretative stuff we've been trundling out since November, this is slam bang adventure, and how.

I really can't add to what O'Brian lays out in this chapter, other than to invite anyone who wants to share what you liked best. Aubrey muzzling the mutineers? Aubrey taking his sinking ship into a french harbor and, instead of shooting up the moored ships as ordered, he decides to STEAL one of them under the guns of not one, but TWO french forts! The action seems implausible, but my brief online research shows at least some appear to feel it is based on a mission of the Dart, a similarly experimental ship that cut a french 40 gun ship out of the Dunkirk harbor. Classic O'Brian.

So, please share whatever you like about the Chapter 11 action or anything else in the book so far.

I would be remiss if I did not observe that it seemes unlikely, based on Jack's p.362-363 ruminations, that he and Stephen will follow through with their duel.