Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Revolution
This topic is about Revolution
Revolution Discussions > Truman's Key

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather (heatherjoy) What is the significance of the key that Truman found? Why is Andi’s dad so surprised that Truman had taken the key back? The key becomes Andi’s link to Truman, and isa constant reminder of his death. How does the key ultimately unlock her grieving heart?

Christie | 37 comments I think that the key showed that Truman and Louis Charles were somehow connected at the beginning. It gives Truman some naivety at the beginning of the story. He thought if his father found the key he would be home more.

I think that Andi's dad was so surprised that Andi had the key because it meant more to Andi than it did to him. It showed that the father really did not understand what he did to them when they were little or what Truman meant by giving him the key.

Andi is able to find the story of Alex using the key and by doing that she is able to finish her grieving and make a life. So I think the key lead her to finding Alex, finding Virgil, finding love and happiness.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments The key is a link - initially it links Andi to Truman but it also links Andi to the victims of the terror through the ribbon she wears on her neck.

The key is also a symbol for unlocking the truth. Truman takes his dad's words literally - that he's looking for a key to the everything - and presents him with the key shortly before his father actually completes the work he has begun.

Andi uses the key in the way it's meant to be used to unlock the guitar case. This leads to her discovery of the diary and offers her a true glimpse of what it was like to be alive during the French Revolution. (This doesn't mean the key was actually made for the guitar case. As Andi surmised it was one of many keys that would have worked simply because the construction of the lock was so simple and basic.)

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I think obviously the significance of the key is the connection to Andi's brother. I am still a little confused on how the key unlocked the guitar box a million miles away. But I guess that is apart of the fairytale of the book. I think Andi's dad is so surprised that she has the key because in the end, the key did mean something to him. I mean he took the time to find it, and then to see Andi with it, he realized it also meant a lot to her. As a good dad he didn't press her for the key, he let her keep it. So I feel a little differently on that part then the others who have commented here. I am not finished with the book yet, but I would guess the key unlocks Andi's grieving heart by helping her find the diary where she reads about a whole new world and can take herself out of the painful world she is living in.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "I am still a little confused on how the key unlocked the guitar box a million miles away. But I guess that is a..."

Have you ever seen the type of lock used on inexpensive luggage? All the keys are the same - if the luggage comes from the same manufacturer. I've used keys luggage I had in the sixties to open cases I bought in the eighties. That's the type of key and lock Andi was dealing with. It was a very basic mechanism that used a very basic lock.

I found it easier to accept that Truman's key was one of thousands of keys that might have opened the case than to attempt to believe that it was the key originally made for the case.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Well that is true about those locks on luggage. And one time... I went out of Lowes to get in my dad's truck. I went up to a truck and opened it. I started looking around... it wasn't my dad's truck! It was the same looking Toyota and the key worked in it too!