Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Conniebury's 2011 reads & other projects

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments This year I have decided to read less and finish up more of my craft & sewing projects. Last year I read 66 books so I am hopeful I can read 50 for this year. Anyhoo, I am going to post both, crafts and books in this thread.

I finished a tshirt quilt top over the weekend that I had been working on for off and on for about a year. I will take it to be quilted and put the binding on when it comes back.

quilt top

message 2: by Crysta (new)

Crysta | 123 comments Connie wrote: "This year I have decided to read less and finish up more of my craft & sewing projects. Last year I read 66 books so I am hopeful I can read 50 for this year. Anyhoo, I am going to post both, cra..."

Wow, that's a really cool quilt. I have no idea how you find the time for so many books and crafts... I want to read and craft but I often end up neglecting one, and even more often end up neglecting both!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Great job! Your tees, or is it for someone else? I'm almost done quilting a baby quilt for my niece-in-law's first. Makes the January score books: 2 projects 3/4.

message 4: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 388 comments I have stacks of tees to make into quilts for my daughters! Did you use anything to back them before you put them together? I combine my love of reading with my love of crafting by borrowing books from my quilt guild library!

message 5: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments Awesome! I want to make a quilt out my sons' baby clothes but sadly I don't know how to sew! Oh well, maybe someday!

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch That is amazing! I would love to take a quilting class someday so I can learn how to make some for myself, but unfortunately financially I can't afford it anytime soon! Good luck on your crafts & books for this year! :)

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Thanks everyone!

@ Crysta - Now that my kids are grown I have to fill my time with something ;-)

@ Donna - yes they are my tees. I offered to make a tshirt quilt for my daughter first but she wasn't going to trust me with hers until she saw how mine turned out. Post a pic of your quilt too :-)

@ Arlene - yes, I used fusible interfacing.

@ Joanie - that is a good idea, i think it would be a lot harder to cut those up than a tshirt.

@ Stacie - quilting is great, however you are right it is pricey, the little things add up quickly, and there are so many little things :-)

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 1. Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2) by Jennifer Chiaverini four stars

message 9: by Crysta (new)

Crysta | 123 comments Connie wrote: "Thanks everyone!

@ Stacie - quilting is great, however you are right it is pricey, the little things add up quickly, and there are so many little things :-)

I'm always surprised at how expensive crafting really is... one year I thought I'd save money by knitting nice scarves for my family for Christmas, and after I have bought the nice soft alpaca-blend yarn I realized I had spent more than most of the store-bought gifts I might have gotten! Not to mention my brother's never got finished because after a while knitting and pearling becomes much less entertaining... T-shirts and baby clothes quilts sound like a great way to turn keepsakes into something that will keep being used though - I love it.

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 0110011352.jpg

Tote bag for my daughter Maggie. She choose the fabric and laid it out and I put it together.

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Nice! Love the knotted straps. I had an applique class w/ Barb Vlack Saturday, so only one book read....

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) Wow Connie! You are so talented. I love the tote and what a great idea for the t-shirt quilt.

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Thanks Donna and Lisa :-)

The pattern is Jelly Bag by Bunny Hill Designs.

How did the applique class go Donna? I have never done any and would like to try it.

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 2. True Grit by Charles Portis four stars

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Connie wrote: "How did the applique class go Donna? I have never done any and would like to try it."

It was a lot of fun. We did a small piece using three different handwork techniques. There are fast & dirty ways to do applique, but handwork really is the best. Barb's just a fun person to have for a teacher; full of talent and stories. I took a borders class from her a few years ago & learned so much. And you may find her on Goodreads some day soon as we had a nice little chat about it before class started.

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments That would be great if Barb joined. I have tried to get my friends & family to join goodreads, without much success. I had a couple of friends join but they haven't done much since.

I am going to take a beginning crochet class on Jan 24th. I want to be able make scarves and afghans for gifts. However, my excitement for learning how to crochet took a hit a couple of days ago while I was at Goodwill. There were several nice crocheted throws for sale. I thought they would be gifts to treasure forever and then people are just giving them to Goodwill. Oh well, I already paid for the class!

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Yes, some people have no sense of sentiment, but you shouldn't let that stop you. It's the ones who'll treasure it that you have to think about. My godmother was a fabulous knitter. She made me a fisherman's knit sweater for my 12th birthday, which I wore through college & still have all these many decades later even though I wore through one of the elbows. As a joke, I brought it with to dinner with her & asked if she could fix it. She made me a whole new sweater. I brought the original to her funeral a few years later to show her family. Her mother thought I'd never worn it until I showed her the sleeve. I'm thinking of making it into a pillow. So for every Goodwill store find, there's at least one me. Go for it.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Thanks for the words of encouragement Donna. What a nice memory :-)

message 19: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 3. Relentless by Dean Koontz four stars

message 20: by Connie (last edited Feb 14, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 4. The Darkest Child A Novel by Delores Phillips three stars
disturbing

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Reeder | 91 comments Connie wrote: "This year I have decided to read less and finish up more of my craft & sewing projects. Last year I read 66 books so I am hopeful I can read 50 for this year. Anyhoo, I am going to post both, cra..."

I missed your feeds until today. I love the quilt and tot. Megan wants a T-shirt quilt and I need to knuckle down.

message 22: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Thanks, Deb.

Have you made a t-shirt quilt before? It is a lot of planning. I hope the next one goes a bit faster.

message 23: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 5. The Husband by Dean Koontz four stars

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 6. A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron five stars way up!

I loved this book!

message 25: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Connie wrote: "6. A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron five stars way up!

I loved this book!"

Sounds lovely, too bad I swore off dog books after "Rose in a Storm".

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments why? what happens? was it that bad?

message 27: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 388 comments Donna wrote: "Yes, some people have no sense of sentiment, but you shouldn't let that stop you. It's the ones who'll treasure it that you have to think about. My godmother was a fabulous knitter. She made me a f..."

If it was made of wool, you can felt it, then sew with it. I saw some wonderful mittins at a classy resale shop that had been made out of recycled sweaters with cashmere linings. They had been felted before being made into the mittins. They were great. I'm thinking of doing the same with some I have.

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Oh, it was a lovely book, but I ended up emotionally wrung out. I'm an sentimental soft touch type. There's not a tear you can't jerk out of me. Stories about dogs seem to bring out the worst in me.

And, yes, you should pick up "Rose in a Storm" by Jon Katz.

message 29: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 0218011819.jpg

Laptop quilt top
pattern is Summer breeze by Judy Hopkins

Donna ~ I'll definitely add Rose in a Storm to my TBR, I really enjoy dog books.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Just remember, you were warned!!
Love your pinwheels! I'm finally binding the baby quilt I'm working on. I really need to get my baby brother to teach me how to post pictures.

message 31: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 7. Decision Points by George W. Bush two stars

message 32: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments IMG_5258

Totebag for my friend Leslie

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Leslie is a lucky girl!

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments Beautiful, and it looks very professionally done.

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Reeder | 91 comments Connie wrote: "

Totebag for my friend Leslie"

You are a great seamstress!

message 36: by Connie (last edited Mar 14, 2011 12:17PM) (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Debbie wrote: "You are a great seamstress!"

Susan wrote: "Beautiful, and it looks very professionally done."

Donna wrote: "Leslie is a lucky girl!"

Thanks!

8. Strip till Dead by Mike Gerrard two stars

message 37: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 9. Emily and Einstein four stars

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 10. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom three stars

message 39: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 11. From Vegas With Blood by Jonathan Sturak no stars - run!

message 40: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments IMG_5511

Easter bag for my grand daughter Keya
(she was being a shy girl and wanted to hold her dad's hand while I took the picture)

message 41: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Reeder | 91 comments Connie wrote: "

Easter bag for my grand daughter Keya
(she was being a shy girl and wanted to hold her dad's hand while I took the picture)"

She must have known she would be a celebrity. She is so cute and I am sure she will make great use of the bag.

message 42: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments And she takes after gramma! Is it sunny down there? It is endlessly wet up here.

message 43: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Thanks Debbie and Donna!
We have had dry weather the last few days, supposed to be close to 90 today! yikes!

12. 61 Hours (Jack Reacher, #14) by Lee Child four stars

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments We topped 90 + torrential thunderstorm at rush hour. It was like being inside a car wash. I'm not complaining since a week ago it was barely 40 up here.

message 45: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 13. The Other Wes Moore One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore three stars
Better than I was expecting but not great.

message 46: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments IMG_5576

Tote-bag for my Goodreads friend Sandie. We were able to meet up for a couple of days earlier this month, while I was on vacation. It was great fun!

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Show off! I haven't finished a project since March!!! So much for my project a month resolution.

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch It looks great! :) I'm going to have to start learning how to sew better. I'm a little jealous! You have an amazing talent :)

message 49: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments 14. Degree of Guilt by Richard North Patterson one star = crap

message 50: by Connie (new)

Connie (conniebury) | 197 comments Stacie wrote: "It looks great! :) I'm going to have to start learning how to sew better. I'm a little jealous! You have an amazing talent :)"

Thanks Stacie!

Donna wrote: "Show off! I haven't finished a project since March!!! So much for my project a month resolution."

Well, what have you been doing? ;-)

« previous 1