Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Lola's 50 books in 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lola (last edited Jan 03, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments I didn´t make it last year, but, I considering it was my first time on the challenge and that I lost some time recovering from an accident getting to 45 book in 2010 wasn´t bad at all.

I hope to make it this year and with a bit of luck catch up with the 5 books I missed last year...

message 2: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments Let´s get started

1.- The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished by January 3rd rated 3.5 stars

It´s amazing how a story written so long ago like A Midsummer Night's Dream is still inspiring writers to create new stories, I think thats why they are called classics.

Go William Shakespeare !!!

2.- Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann by Lisa McMann

Finished by January 5th rated 4 stars

This story sucked me up from the begining, so much thatI read the whole book in 2 days, and at the end it kept me interested enough to read the sencond part

3.- Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann by Lisa McMann

Finished by January 10th rated 4 stars

Fade sets the mood for the third and final part of the trilogy but still it tells a story by its own that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

message 3: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 4.- The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima by Cinda Williams Chima

Finished by January 14th rated 5 stars

I did like The Demon King, but this second part is awesome.

message 4: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 5.- Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann by Lisa McMann

Finished by January 17th rated 5 stars

I simply loved it...despite I was not so sure at the begining, Gone is a perfect ending for a terrific series.

6.- Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished January 18th rated 3 stars

Really dynamic and with no big conflicts but still interesting and a good way to link between the first and the second book.

message 5: by Lola (last edited Jan 20, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 7.- Sin Tetas No Hay Paraiso by Gustavo Bolivar Moreno by Gustavo Bolivar Moreno

Finished January 19th rated 1 stars

I'm not saying this type of things doesn´t happen, it does and it is really sad but the this story doesn't reflect the reality, it make it seem as if every teenage girl in a country like Colombia or Mexico is willing to find a drug dealer boyfriend that support her and her family, which ofcourse is not true. And what it's worst it make it seem easy and a very good option if you know how to manage.

message 6: by Lola (last edited Jan 25, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 8.- Whisper  by Phoebe Kitanidis by Phoebe Kitanidis

Finished January 23th rated 4 stars

I found the characters amazingly real, likable and easy to identify with, and the lack of vampires, faeries, angels, or anyother kind of mithological creatures is really refreshing nowadays.

message 7: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 9.- The Demon in Me (Living in Eden, #1) by Michelle Rowen by Michelle Rowen

Finished January 27th rated 5 stars

After reading it, I liked it so much, I jump,ed above my "to read" listand skip directly to the second part.

10-. The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey, #2) by Julie Kagawa by Julie Kagawa

Finished February 3rd rated 3 stars

What made this book worth the while, were the secondary chacters.

11.- My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent

Finished February 4th rated 3 stars

The story in itself is good though a bit short still intersteresing enough to be read though it left me willing to know more about this girl.

message 8: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 12.- Something Wicked (Living in Eden, #2) by Michelle Rowen by Michelle Rowen

Fininshed February 6th rated 4 stars

Pretty cool sequel for The Demon in Me...

Some information is released and new mysteries are presented...

13.- My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent by [author:Rachel Vincent|415967

Finished by February 11th rated 4 stars

must admit this book has something other books I have read don't... funny parts, I couldn't help to laugh out loud

message 9: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 14.- Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann by Lisa McMann

Finished by February 22th rated 3 stars

To sum up, it worth the reading but was not what I was expecting.

message 10: by Lola (last edited Feb 24, 2011 04:00PM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 15.- My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent

Finished by February 23th rated 3 stars

It's like if all the books in the series were more like a collection of stories than a huge story divided in several books.

16.- Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins by Rachel Hawkins

Finished by February 23th rated 3 stars

Despite this story isn´t really something new, and more than a bit predicible, is quite engaging and full of funny parts, enough for me to look forward to the second part.

message 11: by Lola (last edited Mar 07, 2011 09:35AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 17.- My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent

Finished by March 3rd rated 5 stars

Go Kaylee!!!... and therefore, Go Rachel Vincent!!!

message 12: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 18.- Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5) by Rachel Vincent
by Rachel Vincent

Finished by March 4th rated 3 stars

Tod is still my favorite character of the series!!!

message 13: by Lola (last edited Jul 27, 2011 10:48AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 19.- I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore by Pittacus Lore

Finished by March 6th rated 3 stars

I haven´t seen the movie yet but I´ve heard that is really more compelling than the book, we'll see...

UPDATE:

The movie isn't that good either.

20.- Choker by Elizabeth Woods by Elizabeth Woods

Finished by March 7th rated 4 stars

I started guessing the end from the very begining and my theories were not that far from the actual ending, but still there were parts when I really started doubting.

message 14: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 21.- Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton by Kelly Keaton

Finished by March 14th rated 3 stars

Definitely not my favorite but definitly not that bad either. Maybe the sequel will do better.

22.- Wither (Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano by Lauren DeStefano

Finished by March 14th rated 5 stars

A great debut novel from Lauren DeStefano that totally worths the while.

message 15: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 23.- Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie by Jennifer Crusie

Finished by March 14th rated 5 stars

I would definitely love to read a sequel!!!

24.- The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner by James Dashner

Finished by March 23th rated 2 satrs

I'm definitely not eager to read the sequel, but I will at some point, just to see if this gets any better.

message 16: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 25.- Elixir (Elixir, #1) by Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

Finished by March 23th rated 2.5 stars

The idea is not that bad, the story really has it´s moments but need some serious polishing.

26.- My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent

Finished by April 5th rated 3 stars

To sum up, I really want a Netherpuppy and hopefully the story will get better on next book.

message 17: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 27.- The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan by Carrie Ryan

Finished April 11th rated 5 stars

From the three books in the series this one is my favorite, and I'm still secretly hoping for a fourth book.

message 18: by Lola (last edited Apr 28, 2011 09:48AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 28.- Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia by Kami Garcia

Finished by April 13th rated 5 stars

Totally gothic, and full lof details Beautiful Creatures is totally worth the almost 600 pages

29.- 100 Cupboards  by N.D. Wilson by N.D. Wilson

Finished by April 26th rated 4 stars

I must confess, I found this book by mere accident, and I wonder why haven't I heard more of it since is not really that recently published and is really great

message 19: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 30.- Plague (Gone, #4) by Michael Grant by Michael Grant

Finished by April 29th rated 4 stars

I waited for a year to read this book hoping to get some answers but now I have even more questions...

I can't wait for the next book to come out!!!

message 20: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 31.- Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia by Kami Garcia

Finished by May 5th rated 3 stars

I'll keep on reading the series hoping it will improve in the next book.

message 21: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 32.- Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1) by Lisa Mantchev by Lisa Mantchev

Finished by May 16th rated 5 stars

A theatre where the characters are not actors, but the real characters of all the plays that had ever been written, who wouldn´t love to attend to a performance??

33.- Stay by Deb Caletti by Deb Caletti

This book should become in a "must read" for teenagers

message 22: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 34.- Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta by Melina Marchetta

Finished by May 21st rated 4 stars

To sum up, great book, great story, amazing characters, a must read if you like epic fantasy.

35.- Moonglass by Jessi Kirby by Jessi Kirby

Finished by May 24th rated 3 stars

Definitely it has its moments, but I must confess I was expecting something more...

message 23: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 36.- Dandelion Fire  by N.D. Wilson by N.D. Wilson

Finished by May 25th rated 2 stars

Basically this book follows the same thread as the first one, which I really liked, but this book failed to catch my attention as well as the previous part.

message 24: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 37.- The Poison Diaries (Poison Diaries #1) by Maryrose Wood by Maryrose Wood

Finished by June 2nd rated 2 stars

Anyway I'll read the next book, (I hate to leave series incomplete); even though I will not be expecting it anxiously, instead, I'll look for the original one.

message 25: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 38.- Castaways (Leisure Fiction) by Brian Keene by Brian Keene

Finished by June 13th rated 3 stars

I liked it, not really love it, but it's OK.

message 26: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 39.- Perchance to Dream (Théâtre Illuminata, #2) by Lisa Mantchev by Lisa Mantchev

Finished by July 7th rated 4 stars

I really think this book as well as its prequel could maybe be turned into wonderfull movies.

message 27: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 40.- The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2) by Rick Yancey by Rick Yancey

Finished by July 11th rated 5 stars

At the end, this book, it left me willing for more, a total must read if you liked the first book and definitely a great recomendation as a series.

message 28: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 41.- Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate by Lauren Kate

Finished by July 12th rated 2 stars

Now after finishing the second book I'm having a hard not to just write "Eeeeeewwwwww" as a review.

message 29: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 42.- The Call (The Magnificent Twelve, #1) by Michael Grant by Michael Grant

Finished by July 17th rated 4 stars

This book is so funny that I actually laugh out loud a couple of times.

message 30: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 43.- A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn by Alex Flinn

Finished by July 19th rated 3 stars

If you are looking for a easy, enjoyable and light reading and you like faery tales this maybe the book for you.

message 31: by Lola (last edited Jul 27, 2011 10:43AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 44.- Peter and Wendy by J.M. Barrie by J.M. Barrie

Finished by July 26th rated 4 stars

I'm a Tinker Bell's fan, no matter wich version, but there´s no other like the original ("Silly ass!!") I'm decided to never ever grow up, I must confess I believe in faries ( I even clap when I got to that part of the book) and I have always dreamed about flying.

One more book and I'll have tied my last year record!!!!!

message 32: by Lola (last edited Aug 02, 2011 03:48PM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 45.- The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Finished by August 1st rated 4 stars

If you liked The Shadow of the Wind , you should give this one a try, maybe you, as me, will have a pleasent surprise...

I just tied last year record, 45 books in a year, this year's challenge is for 55 book, I guess I'm in a good track!!!

message 33: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Oh, Peter and Wendy, that should be the next book I read to my kids! What a great idea!

message 34: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 46.- Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre by Ann Aguirre

Finished by August 9th rated 5 stars

Duece is one of the most amazing characters I've met lately...this book definitely is worth of reading.

message 35: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 47.- Defiance (Strange Angels, #4) by Lili St. Crow by Lili St. Crow

Finished by August 11th rated 2.5 stars

Still I'm willing to give the series an other chance and look forward to the next installment, hoping the things will get better this time.

48.- Another Pan (Another, #2) by Daniel Nayeri by Daniel Nayeri

Finished by August 13th rated 2 stars

I guess that I would had liked it more without the premise of this book being a new version of Peter Pan.

message 36: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 49.- Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones by Diana Wynne Jones

Finished by August 22th rated 4 stars

Funny in a very British way!!

50.- Bent Road by Lori Roy by Lori Roy

Finished by August 23th rated 5 stars

Really amazing, highly recommendable, is one of the best debut novels I've read lately.

message 37: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments I did it!!!! 50 books in a year!!!

But I'm still on the quest, my personal challenge is 55 to cover the 5 I missed last year, and who knows maybe I can reach the 100 :)

message 38: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Lola wrote: "I did it!!!! 50 books in a year!!!

But I'm still on the quest, my personal challenge is 55 to cover the 5 I missed last year, and who knows maybe I can reach the 100 :)"

Well played Lola.

message 39: by Lola (last edited Aug 30, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 51.- Bleeding Violet  by Dia Reeves by Dia Reeves

Finished by August 29th rated 1 star

I think this should not a book for young adults specially because of all the delicate topics such as sex, drugs and suicide, that here are treated in a very light way instead of with the seriousness that they involve.

message 40: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 52.- Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1) by Deborah Kalin by Deborah Kalin

Finished by August 30th rated 2 stars

It was a nice reading, but nothing I'm really looking forward to continue.

message 41: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 53.- The Help by Kathryn Stockett by Kathryn Stockett

Finished by September 12th rated 5 stars

I was so exited with it, that it caught my mom's attention even though she is not much of a reader. Now she is reading it too.

message 42: by Lola (last edited Sep 23, 2011 10:07AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 54.- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs by Ransom Riggs

Finished by Sepember 12th rated 4 stars

This book is creepy, and a well written mistery, from the very first page. A really recomendable reading...

One more book and I'll be reaching this year chalenge...I'm thinking to update it to 60.

message 43: by Lola (last edited Sep 23, 2011 10:09AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 55.- M Is for Magic by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman

Finished by September 23th rated 5 stars

Definitely a must read, if you are Neil Gaiman fan, or if you are not and are looking for some really good and well written fantasy.

I offically finished my year challenge!!!!.

Still I updated it to 60 books since the year is far from been over... So, let's read some more!!! WIth some luck maybe I'll reach the 100

message 44: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 56.- Think of a Number (Dave Gurney, #1) by John Verdon by John Verdon

Finished by September 28th rated 3 stars

Though the book has a lot of common elements among detective thillers,(I have seen enough TV to prove it), and this book is like reading an episode of Criminal Minds, I liked it.

message 45: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 57.- The Everafter by Amy Huntley by Amy Huntley

Finished by September 28th rated 3 stars

The thing I liked the most about this book is this "IS" place...

message 46: by Lola (last edited Oct 12, 2011 09:00AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 58.- Empty by Suzanne Weyn by Suzanne Weyn

Finished by October 10th rated 3 stars

This book is a good reading with a not so hidden message that is worth the reading just to take a glimps of what may happen if we don't start changing the way we use the natural resources.

message 47: by Lola (last edited Oct 24, 2011 07:47AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 59.- Ruined by Paula Morris by Paula Morris

Finished October 13th rated 3 stars

This book was my pick for this year All Hollows Read, and I don't regret it.

To know more about All Hollows Read visit http://www.allhallowsread.com/ ...and enjoy this cool tradition =)

message 48: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 60.- Flip by Martyn Bedford by Martyn Bedford

Finished October 25 th rated 2 stars

The story is not that bad but it failed to catch my attention.

I finished my updated year challenge!!!!

But I updated it to 65 books since there´s still time to read...

message 49: by Lola (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 61.- The Stone Child by Dan Poblocki by Dan Poblocki

Finished by October 26 rated 5 stars

If you liked been scared this is a book you must read.

message 50: by Lola (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:36AM) (new)

Lola (loliq) | 132 comments 62.- The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick Rothfuss by Patrick Rothfuss

Finished in October 28th rated 5 stars

It is long, almost 1000 pages, but it worth each and every page.

63.- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski by Mark Z. Danielewski

Left aside in October 31st rated 1 stars

It's the first book I ditched in a long time.

« previous 1