Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Green Group Book Club 2011 > January (2011): Oceans and Earth

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke (new)

Marieke Happy New Year!

Oceans are so much fun that we will stick with them in January, although it is fine to expand on oceans to include rivers and great lakes--any large marine habitat that can be connected with the ocean. :D

we'll use "Earth" as our challenging element...so anyone who can find and read books that show a connection between life on land and marine life, you get top marks!

in fact, i'm just wrapping up Deep Blue Home: An Intimate Ecology of Our Wild Ocean, which does that quite a bit, in addition to occasionally explaining how different types of currents affect our weather with winds, etc.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments I have a stack of books for this month, but I just had surgery and will be back in school in four days, so I may not be reading as much this month as I have lately. (Also, a very poor life choice that combination. I don't recommend it)

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Hey, I've done that surgery and school thing together as well. It is really hard to keep up the energy during recovery.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments It's craptastic. This would be the 7th straight semester I've had to do so. It gets worse each time, I swear.

In keeping with our theme, I'm also reading Earth: An Intimate History, and am finishing up Dry Spring: The Coming Water Crisis of North America. I recommend both!

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 282 comments Since we're still talking about the oceans, here's an important one: trash, particularly plastics in the ocean.

Wikipedia has a nice article about the Great Pacific Trash Patch, but the Indian and North Atlantic Oceans both have one too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pa...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.