UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2011-12 > Sam's Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Oh this should be good and hopefully it'll make a dent in my TBR list!

message 2: by Sam (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

message 3: by Sam (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments January continued -

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque - finished 16/01/11, 5*

message 4: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3510 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "January continued -

3. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque - finished 16/01/11, 5*"

Excellent book!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I agree Liz, it was utterly superb. Well deserving of its reputation!

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments February - Crime/Detective -

Will be hitting my bookshelves for this one, got a few that fit this genre (handy that)

message 7: by Sam (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments First on this month's genre list is...

No Second Chance by Harlan Coben - finished 06/02/11, 3*

message 8: by Sam (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Death Ray Butterfly by Tom Lichtenberg - finished 08/02/11, 4*

message 9: by Sam (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Murder in Midwinter by Lesley Cookman - finished 10/02/11,3*

message 10: by Sam (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:04AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Watchmen by Alan Moore - finished 12/02/11, 5*

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments In the Woods by Tana French - finished 24/02/11, 4*

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Not a bad collection Sam!

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Thanks Lynne, it's all thanks to GR really. Wouldn't have found half of these books if it wasn't for this site!

message 14: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Feb 26, 2011 04:07AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments I know what you mean Sam, I am reading so much more and genres I would not have read in a million years! I was heavily into horror in my late teens and beyond and read some many of them - now, apart from a few authors like Stephen King, James Herbert, and John Saul I don't remember all the horror novels I did read!

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Lynne wrote: "I know what you mean Sam, I am reading some much more and genres I would not have read in a million years! I was heavily into horror in my late teens and beyond and read some many of them - now, ap..."

I was the same Lynne, I loved my horror novels but now as long as it's well written I'll give it a go! You've got to love GR for that :-D

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments March (already, goodness me!!!) - Classics -

Ummmmm...

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I've downloaded one from Kindle - free!!! It's a Wilkie Collins. Although I have to finish my current read first. Strictly one book at a time for me.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I've read two Wilkie Collins books previously (The Woman in White and the Moonstone) and thoroughly enjoyed both, which one did you download.

I'm yet to give in to the purchasing of an e-reader, I've had a play around with a couple in Waterstones but they're not grabbing my fancy at the moment, especially at the current prices! How do you find yours?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Sam, I have two sony readers and love them both! I had them as birthday gifts which was lovely. I have read so many more classics since getting one and wouldn't go anywhere without one in my bag. I still love my books though!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Hi Lynne, glad to hear you get some good use out of yours. I think I'm just too attached to pages and I did find that the screens on some of them seemed a little harsh on the eyes, with the 'page' background very bright. Don't know if this can be altered or whether it depends which one you get or not.

I probably would use one if I was given one but paying out 80 quid on something that I would only really use for free book downloads or for authors who only publish online is a bit steep. I might get one when they're much cheaper.

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Sam, I've been bought a kindle although I've only read some of the instructions as yet as I'm already reading something. The kindle isn't backlit like a computer so it basically looks like a page in a book.

I have read Moonstone, Lady and the Law, The Dead something?? and Woman in White. I downloaded Moonstone as it was the first title I saw, recognised and was free!

message 22: by Sam (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:51AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Not so harsh on the eyes then Helen. My other half has got one of the new windows phones and I got him to download the Kindle app on that and downloaded a short novella but I think that's back lit so was very bright and harsh to read for any length of time. Might just be his phone or there may be a way to change it, I don't know. Did kill his battery pretty quick though hehe!

The Dead Secret by any chance? How was that and Lady and the Law? I did enjoy both Woman in White and Moonstone so I'm on the lookout for his other works.

That's the bit that's tempting most with the e-readers is the free books. Just wish the readers themselves would drop in price a bit (fingers crossed)

message 23: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Most of the novels of Wilkie Collins are free on Kindle. I've just downloaded No Name but the choice of freebies is vast

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Yea, I've noticed a lot of older works are free for download now, at least it's getting people reading them if nothing else :-D

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Finally got round to reading a book for this month's genre...

Read Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems & Drawings by Shel Silverstein - finished 17/03/11, 4*

message 27: by Sam (new)

message 28: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3510 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter - finished 28/03/11, 5*"

Great isn't it?

message 29: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I loved it Liz, my friend has been on at me to read Angela Carter for a while and now I can see why. Can't wait to get stuck into her other books now!

message 30: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3510 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "I loved it Liz, my friend has been on at me to read Angela Carter for a while and now I can see why. Can't wait to get stuck into her other books now!"

I loved The Magic Toyshop too.

message 31: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I'm not sure which to try next, think I'm just going to see what I can find. I've got a feeling she my creep into my fav author spot :-D

message 32: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments April - Biography -

Luckily the book I'm reading now, Voices from the Grave, fits rather nicely into this, about half way through at the moment :-)

message 33: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Sam wrote: "April - Biography -

Luckily the book I'm reading now, Voices from the Grave, fits rather nicely into this, about half way through at the moment :-)"

Sam was voice from the grave on TV? or am I thinking of something else. so the name rings a bell lol!

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Nick Voice From The Grave was a murder mystery TV show in the mid 90's (you can find it on the internet movie database if you want to see if it's the one you're thinking of) that is unrelated to this book but a TV version of this book was made last year but has yet to be shown. Not sure if it will be shown over here though as Troubles related programs tend to be restricted to Northern and Southern Ireland channels.

message 35: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Mr. Tayto: The Man Inside the Jacket by Ciarrin Morrison - finished 07/04/11, 4*

Still working on Voices...

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Sam wrote: "Voices from the Grave by Ed Moloney - finished 17/04/11, 4*

The Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939-45 by [author:W..."

I saw the film of The Pianist and loved it and then got the book, I shall be reading it soon.

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments It is a fantastic book Lynne, only took me a few hours to read it, it was that absorbing!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments MMMMmmm may have to dig it out as I am nearly finished with Throne of Vengeance by Jeff Inlo

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I would highly recommend it :-)

message 41: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments May - Dystopia/Sci Fi -

Zombicorns by John Green - finished 03/05/11, 5*

message 42: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Manual of Detection, The by Jedediah Berry - finished 25/05/11, 4*

message 43: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments June - Fantasy -

On the Beach by Nevil Shute - finished 10/06/11, 5*

message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Legends 13 by Bryan Lindenberger - finished 15/06/11, 3*

message 46: by Sam (last edited Jun 20, 2011 06:17AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Unlucky In Death by Dan Dillard - finished 18/06/11, 5*

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald - finished 18/06/11, 4*

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments July - Young Adult -

The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket - finished 02/07/11, 5*

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket - finished 02/07/11, 5*

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket - finished 02/07/11, 5*

The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket - finished 02/07/11, 5*

Anybody noticing a trend here!

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan I've just bought my Grandaughter the first in the series, but I intend to borrow it when she's finished.
I really want to read them!

message 49: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Sam - how do you manage to read so much in one day?

message 50: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Susan wrote: "I've just bought my Grandaughter the first in the series, but I intend to borrow it when she's finished.
I really want to read them!"

Oh I would definitely recommend them Susan, they are so much better than I thought they'd be and there's a few references and jokes throughout the series that I'm convinced are wasted on children. I'm on The Penultimate Peril now (sadly work is interfering with my reading time) so nearly finished them all :-D

Ian wrote: "Sam - how do you manage to read so much in one day?"

The Unfortunate Events books aren't too difficult to read which helps, and I did spend a good chunk of each day curled up on my armchair with a book on my lap so that helps (and it cuts down on electric usage as the tv isn't on boring me to death either so it's win-win)

« previous 1