Should have read classics discussion

Upcoming group reads > Upcoming Group Reads

Comments (showing 1-50 of 365) (365 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1863 comments Mod
I wanted to start a thread for people to suggest new books to read after Watership Down. We could list some suggestions and then at the beginning of February, maybe take a member poll to decide on the book.

message 2: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
How about Jane Eyre or Adventures of Sherlock Holmes?

message 3: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Maybe we could do one short book every month and a longer book for two months? Maybe having the longer book more structured with "ugh" reading assignment days and then the shorter book is more lax? I'd like to have more than one choice for the books to currently read.

message 4: by Kerri, the sane one (last edited Jan 05, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I like choices. It also allows more of an opportunity to involve more members since some people may have already read the single chosen read for the month. But of course you don't have to read both book choices; matter of fact, you don't have to read any...but usually having choices is good.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Chandler (Carolyncc) | 36 comments I've been looking for a group that may want to take on and discuss War and Peace. It's an intimidating length but actually seems very readable once started, and definitely seems like something that would benefit from discussion. Any interest?

message 6: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I would be interested! Maybe, as a buddy read or something. Might need some structure with that one, just to keep the discussion flowing. We can put it up and see if others want to join. How long and how far along are you?

message 7: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (MonkeyTamer) Lisa wrote: "Maybe we could do one short book every month and a longer book for two months? Maybe having the longer book more structured with "ugh" reading assignment days and then the shorter book is more lax..."

I like that idea too!

message 8: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (MonkeyTamer) Carolyn wrote: "I've been looking for a group that may want to take on and discuss War and Peace. It's an intimidating length but actually seems very readable once started, and definitely seems like something that..."

I'd be down with reading War and Peace.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Chandler (Carolyncc) | 36 comments Lisa and Kaila - great! I'm only on page 40 right now of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation (it's available at Borders in paperback). I agree Lisa, it might benefit from a structured discussion. Maybe we can set up an area with a chapter by chapter breakdown? That would help avoid mixing in spoilers for people who may read along more slowly or want to jump ahead more quickly. Can we do that here or would I need to create a new group with a different topic for each chapter?

message 10: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Carolyn wrote: "Lisa and Kaila - great! I'm only on page 40 right now of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation (it's available at Borders in paperback). I agree Lisa, it might benefit from a structured discussion. Ma..."
Hey Carolyn, Lisa and I can do that here. We will just add a new thread. I am on my way to the library this afternoon to get a copy of W&P. Sometimes I cheat and get the audioversion since I am a slow reader...but reading a 1300+ page book made make me as proud as running a marathon.

message 11: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Jan 06, 2011 02:55PM) (new)

Ok, started a separate thread for WP so anything about that can go over there for ease of view! I just put dates in there so I could add the book and thread. Those can be changed at any time!

message 12: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

How about Catcher in the Rye, Frankenstein, A Farewell to Arms or Of Mice and Men? Just some ideas to toss around. Jane Eyre and Sherlock sounds great also!

message 13: by Marie (new)

Marie (MariefromMS) | 39 comments I have Watership Down on hold at the library.
One person ahead of me has a hold on the book. Hopefully, they are a fast reader.
War and Peace has 800 plus pages. I will check the second hand store, maybe they will have the book. War and Peace also have people waiting for that book.
Does watching the movie ,A Farwell to Arms, with Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes count?

message 14: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

LOL, I don't think that watching the movie counts! Although it does sounds like a good cast!:)

message 15: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

How about Jane Eyre? That sounds like a good one!

message 16: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Jane Eyre sounds good to me. I love that book.

message 17: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (MonkeyTamer) There's a new "Jane Eyre" movie coming out that looks good so I'd love to read the book.

message 18: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Jan 10, 2011 10:19AM) (new)

Perfect! Sounds like a good plan! Lets do it midFeb. Sound good?

message 19: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments That will work for me.

message 20: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Glad we decided on Jane Eyre. I look forward to reading it.

message 21: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I have some people concerned that we are reading 2000pgs for the next two months! Didn't quite realize that it was that many! So, would it be possible to change Jane Eyre to March? I don't want someone having a book induced panic attack!LOL

message 22: by Marie (new)

Marie (MariefromMS) | 39 comments That would be better.

message 23: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Whew! I agree, that would seem more reasonable.

message 24: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (MonkeyTamer) As we say here, no worry beef curry. March is fine.

message 25: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

message 26: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I changed it to April, that should give us all plenty of time!

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments Thanks Lisa! I was kinda sweating what book to skip. WOW!

message 28: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Now, maybe, you won't have to skip any!

message 29: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I know that we have a few books on our plate right now, but I also want to keep the nominations open for future group reads. Just want to keep people thinking about books for the future. We can choose them at any time!

message 30: by Amy J. (new)

message 31: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I can't even begin to think of one because I am so behind on my other reads...maybe a short classic...

message 32: by Nell (new)

Nell I'd like to read Wuthering Heights

message 33: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Alright, for now we have Frankenstein, The Count of Monte Cristo and Wuthering Heights. If anyone has any more suggestions, please feel free to nominate, if not we can have a group poll(never done that) around the first of April and see which everyone picks! Does that sound ok?

message 34: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I am OK with that.

message 35: by Amy J. (last edited Mar 07, 2011 08:23AM) (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments Sounds good to me as well. And I'd like to encourage others to nominate books too.

message 36: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (MonkeyTamer) Sounds good. I like those choices.

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Johnson | 40 comments I'd love to try Frankenstein and Count of Monte Cristo!

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (buttondoll) I think Count of Monte Cristo is a good choice. I have also always wanted to try The Woman in White

message 39: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments I've never heard of that book before, but it sounds good.

message 40: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Mar 08, 2011 07:04AM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "I think Count of Monte Cristo is a good choice. I have also always wanted to try The Woman in White"

Darn it! We read The Woman in Whiteas a group read in October of last year. I highly recommend it though, it is quite good. There is a thread for it under book discussions if you are interested.

message 41: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Mar 08, 2011 07:18AM) (new)

How is this for an idea? We could read The Count of Monte Cristo during the summer months(May-August) since it is another long one(1200+) pages. Then we could read Frankenstein in September or we could have both books going during the summer. Frankenstein is around 250 pages. Then we could add Wuthering Heights in October. How does that sound?

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (Sharonuk10) | 29 comments Trying to catch up with the group reads. Will endevour to read the ones coming up. Sorry I am not participating much in the group. I started a photography project at the beginning of the year and it is keeping me busy. Although I am getting some reading done as well. That is how I relax. But not done any group reads. Will find The Count of Monte Cristo and work that into my reading schedule. Looking forward to reading Frankenstein. I read Wuthering Heights last year and did not like it one bit. So don't think I can read it again.

message 43: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments I think I'll be skipping Wuthering Heights too. I've begun it and quitted too many times to count. I've got to conclude that it's just not the book for me.

message 44: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Hmmmm, maybe we should have Wuthering Heights as a buddy read and choose something else for a group read at that time! I must say, ladies, I now have reservations about reading this again. I read it in school and must have blocked it out. Don't remember anything except the main man was named after a cartoon cat!

message 45: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I just thought of this one, how about The Scarlet Pimpernel?

message 46: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments i could do that!

message 47: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Scarlet Pimpernel, my favorite from my required reading in high school...I might even read that again and see if I still like it.

message 48: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Johnson | 40 comments I'm game.

message 49: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Sorry for being so anxious! I get way to excited about choosing books, so we will wait until later in the month to finalize stuff! That way more people can nominate books if they want to! Sorry again! Hehe!

message 50: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 79 comments That's okay. I get excited too...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Watership Down (other topics)
The Count of Monte Cristo (other topics)
Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus (other topics)
Wuthering Heights (other topics)
The Woman in White (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Honoré de Balzac (other topics)
Ernest Hemingway (other topics)
Edith Wharton (other topics)
L. Ron Hubbard (other topics)
Shirley Jackson (other topics)
More...