Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > First book of the year

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I already read the stunningly awesome Ubik by Phillip K. Dick...

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And you should read Alice of Wonderland , Canadian, because it's fucking amazing.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I need to finish On Beauty but I'm not looking forward to it. Then I'm starting The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors: A Novel

message 4: by Dan (last edited Jan 03, 2011 07:58AM) (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Starship Troopers was my first of 2011. I read it because I loved Old Man's War by John Scalzi and Troopers was one of his influences in writing it. I enjoyed Old Man's War a lot more.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I am reading The Glassblower of Murano.

Then off to read some Gaiman and Louise Penney.

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 03, 2011 08:15AM) (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I'm reading A Medieval Miscellany, edited by Judith Herrin. It's a beautiful volume, a combo of medieval art and prose and poetry excerpts. Also, unlike most medieval books, it isn't always from the point of view of the Christians - there are lots of contributions from Islamic and Jewish writers and artists.

This is something I found during my reorganization and I thought, "I should read this!"

message 7: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart It'll probably be The Hunger Games. The Corrections is coming back to school with me, but Lord knows when I'll have the time to read it.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i already finished my first book of the year, but that probably doesn't count here because i started it last year. first started book of the year is the girl who played with fire.

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah With great and coincidental timing I finished my previous book on New Years Eve and started Blindness by Jose Saramago on New Years day. Don't really know why, I guess it contrasted with the previous read and suited my mood. I've had it about a year but only just come to it. Its really interesting so far.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Barb wrote: "so I really should take advantage of that mood and take this bad-boy on."

TWSS

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Southern Fried Britt wrote: "It'll probably be The Hunger Games. The Corrections is coming back to school with me, but Lord knows when I'll have the time to read it."

I keep putting off The Hunger Games...

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I'm starting the year with "The Poisonwood Bible." About three years late, right?

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Southern Fried Britt wrote: "It'll probably be The Hunger Games. The Corrections is coming back to school with me, but Lord knows when I'll have the time to read it."

When I was in college I didn't manage to read during the school year at all. I'd really pack it in during the summers, though.

message 14: by Leshawn (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Leshawn | 109 comments I had delusions of grandeur about how I would begin my reading year. Then a friend gave me a copy of "Addition" by Toni Jordan (which I read and loved in 2010) for Christmas. Before I could stop myself, I had started it and I'll be done by the end of the day.
Maybe I can delude myself grandly about my second book of the year?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm still reading Brain Jack, and after that, I think I'll read Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate , which is the sort of book I can't resist.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Resistance is futile Jackie!

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart RandomAnthony wrote:

I keep putting off The Hunger Games..."

It'll be there when you get to it. No rush.

message 18: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman So Cold the River. Just started it.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I started The Pillars of the Earth on Christmas day. I don't think I'm ever going to get to start a book in 2011.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Probably The False Friend, since one of my other groups is reading it for January, but I am finishing The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet first.

message 21: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I started reading Jane Eyre. I've read it before at least twice and seen the movie. Still, it's worth another read.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Janice wrote: "I started reading Jane Eyre. I've read it before at least twice and seen the movie. Still, it's worth another read."

Have you seen the BBC mini series http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780362/ ? It is brilliant.

message 23: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) No, I haven't seen the BCC mini series. It was the movie version with Anna Paquin and William Hurt that I saw. I'll keep my eye open for the tv series. Maybe it will be out on DVD.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

It is out on DVD. I have a copy. :D

message 25: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Gail "cyborg" wrote: "It is out on DVD. I have a copy. :D"

Cheeky! :) I'll add it to my wish list.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm reading Lord of Misrule but I can't decide if I'm enjoying it.
Also the new Will Eisner biography.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

My first book of the year was The Book Thief. What a beautiful, heart wrenching start to the year.

message 28: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Gail "cyborg" wrote: "My first book of the year was The Book Thief. What a beautiful, heart wrenching start to the year."

This looks like a good book! I'm adding it to my wish list.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.