Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > January Read Discussion: The Man With The Golden Torc (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Our urban fantasy read for January is The Man With the Golden Torc.

Simon R. Green is an awesome writer, so I'm looking forward to digging into this one.

So, let us discuss. Feel free to answer any of the questions below. You can do so while you're reading or when you're done.

1. Setting: What are your thoughts about the setting of this book?

2. First Impression: Were you wowed at reading the first page of this story? Or less than impressed?

3. Characters: What do you think about the characters of this novel? Do you like or dislike them? Were they well-drawn?

4. Plot: Does this story have a strong plot? Do you like the plot?

5. Pacing: How does the pacing strike you with this novel? Too fast, too slow, perfect?

6. Underlying themes: What were the underlying themes in your opinion?

7. Overall impression: Did you like this story? Why or why not? What did you or didn’t you like about this story?

8. Rating: Give this story a rating, either on a scale of 1-10 or stars.

9. Would you read more books by this author? Can you recommend books like this to people who enjoyed this novel?

Happy reading!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I am stoked to read this one. I've had it on my tbr pile for a while now. Big fan of Simon R. Green.

message 3: by Jason (last edited Jan 04, 2011 01:38AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Me too, on all three counts!

Diane ~Firefly~ | 28 comments Just started the book and I liking it so far. Man, the golden suit is awesome. I love how he's the rebel of the family.

I haven't got too far yet. He just arrived home to answer a summons.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I liked this, and I plan to continue with the series but I felt that it had a couple of things that threw me off.

1) it rides the line between silly camp and serious in a such a way that made me cringe here and there.

2) Sometimes his ego just rubbed me wrong more so at the beginning than the rest.

I think The armorer and Maggie are my favs based on this book and I hope both stick around quite a while. I was also a fan of the crabby family ghost :)

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I just ordered this via bookswap, so I haven't read this thread at all... :)

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I haven't got to it yet, either. I'm so far behind in my reading, it's pathetic. I might be able to catch up next week, though. :)

message 8: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I read this last year and would agree with Amanda's comments - there was enough in the book for me to enjoy it but at times, I did cringe or get annoyed!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jan 20, 2011 03:32PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) 1. Setting: What are your thoughts about the setting of this book?
--I loved it that it was a tour of England, supernatural style.

2. First Impression: Were you wowed at reading the first page of this story? Or less than impressed?
--At first I was worried. The action scene was way too fast, and I was hoping the book wouldn't all be that way. Then I realized that it was an homage to the prologues of James Bonds movies, and things settled down to let us get to know Eddie, and I was fine.

3. Characters: What do you think about the characters of this novel? Do you like or dislike them? Were they well-drawn?

--I loved Eddie. I liked how he grew over the book. He started out arrogant, but he got a wakeup call, and he adjusted his worldview accordingly. I thought he was a really good guy, honorable but realistic in his flaws.

--I liked Molly a lot too. She was a good foil and companion for Eddie. She got him to open his eyes about some things. They played well off each other. Good chemistry. I liked their banter.

I also loved meeting the Rogue Droods, and Uncle Jack and the ghost Jacob are great characters. I didn't think the Matriarch or Matthew and Alex were as well-developed, but that's okay. It was interesting meeting the various people in the supernatural community and some were downright creepy.

4. Plot: Does this story have a strong plot? Do you like the plot?

--I think the plot was stronger than I thought it would be. I was worried it would be just a pastiche of Bond and supernatural. I don't know why I worried. Although Green isn't for everyone, I think he's a very clever writer. He has a lot of subtle things underneath the straightforward humor and creepy elements in his books. I love his care for crafting story around British folklore and legends.

5. Pacing: How does the pacing strike you with this novel? Too fast, too slow, perfect?

Like I said above, I was worried the book would all be fast pace with no character development. Fortunately that was not the case. So, very well done.

6. Underlying themes: What were the underlying themes in your opinion?

--Family, Honor, Sense of Self, Sense of Responsibility to the World, Holding true to your sense of honor, even if it doesn't match everyone else's

7. Overall impression: Did you like this story? Why or why not? What did you or didn’t you like about this story?

--I loved it. I loved the humor, the characters, the folklore elements, the underlying message. I didn't not like anything.

8. Rating: Give this story a rating, either on a scale of 1-10 or stars.

9. Would you read more books by this author? Can you recommend books like this to people who enjoyed this novel?
--Absolutely. I am a Simon R. Green Fangirl! If you liked this, you might like Mark Del Franco's Connor Grey series, although the pacing is very different. Connor is like Eddie in that he is an outcast who has to find his way and figure out what his role is in life since he's no longer considered a powerful druid. The first book is Unshapely Things.

message 10: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 28 comments Well I finished this last night and I'm glad this was made BOM, as it moved it way up my TBR pile. I would give it 8 out 10 stars. This also reminds me I've got to get back to The Nightside series.

The characters were great. I loved the history of the Drood family and all the really cool weapons and armor. The book was fast paced but still managed to let you get to know the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I am really psyched about this series too, Diane. I'm glad it got voted for too, because it might have languished on my tbr pile, and it's too good a book for that!

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I finished this last night! Wonderful!! I think Mr. Green just got a new convert...I want to read the rest of the series now.

Have to admit there were a few things that were a little too...pat. And the "Red King" was like shades of That Hideous Strength. Been there, done that - bought the book. ;-)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

For those of you who've read this and went on to the rest of the series, have you read the Nightside series already?

I finished Nightside not long ago and then finally read this book today, and it was just... at times it seemed like a rehash, though that may just be Green's writing style.

I'll get into the rest of the series, was just wondering if that feeling gets worse or not.

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I just bought book 1 of the nightside series. I plan to finish up The Secret Histories before reading it but I need to buy Daemons Are Forever.

I hope they are different...

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I haven't read any of the Secret Histories yet, MrsJoseph, but I think Nightside is more horror based than it.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I think of Nightside as more or less detective noir(or at least, that's how it starts out).

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd agree with that, Ala. I actually think between Green, Dresden, Cook and a few others there could be a fantasy detective noir subset. I tend to really enjoy these type of UF.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Me too, Grant.

I think that there are definitely similarities as that's the Green stamp of writing, but the Nightside series is distinctly horrific, as Jason pointed out. It's one of the things I like about that series.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I love the horror in the Nightside series, too. Green does it so well, I think.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Green does have a way with horror.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

What actually constitutes horror? Is it the monsters and whatnot?

I always figured there'd be a sense of dread/suspense in a good horror. Though to be fair, I don't really read horror.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments There are certain elements that make a horror story. Monsters, human and/or supernatural, are important, but not the end all of horror. What is important is atmosphere and emotion. Dread and mortal terror. Insanity. Things of that nature: )

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Green definitely captures those last elements. I found Agents of Light and Darkness and Nightingale's Lament especially horrific.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh. I never knew. I always just thought of The Shining(and the like) when thinking of horror...

Thanks for the info :)

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments O_o

Horror? *dang it!* I don't get down with horror. I'll try book 1 since I've already bought it but it might end up in bookswap. I have too vivid an imagination.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought about doing bookswap but I only want hardcover books. Is that rude of me? In my defense I have like a thousand paperbacks to trade :)

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "I thought about doing bookswap but I only want hardcover books. Is that rude of me? In my defense I have like a thousand paperbacks to trade :)"

You can specifiy what format you want for notifications. it's no biggie to me, but you need to email me a list of your books first or I'll send you very bad vibes, lol!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Lmao yes ma'am

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) MrsJoseph wrote: "O_o

Horror? *dang it!* I don't get down with horror. I'll try book 1 since I've already bought it but it might end up in bookswap. I have too vivid an imagination."

It's more dark fantasy, but yes, it is a bit on the horror side. You can read the first book and decide if it's too much for you, Mrs. J.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

For anyone who didn't know(like me), you might find it interesting that the Secret Histories books are set in the same universe/world as the Nightside series.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I thought that was very cool, Ala.

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments That is kinda cool. Thanks, Ala!

Well, I have book 1 so I'm going to get around to reading it pretty soon (as my TBR list allows). I have about 84 books in my TBR owned list...

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I thought that was very cool, Ala."

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it. Then suddenly there was a character there from the Nightside, which is cool.

There was also a guest appearance by someone from Green's Deathstalker series as well(which I haven't read yet)

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Ala wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I thought that was very cool, Ala."

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it. Then suddenly there was a character there from the Nightside, which is cool.

There was a..."

That's very cool! I love the Nightside. I think that it's a splendid place! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) The Nightside is fascinating!

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments If I were tougher, I'd want to visit there. Maybe even life there. LOL

Actually, I'm not sure about the living there, part. I'm pretty darn sure that I would want to visit, though. 3am is my favorite time of day, after all. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Yeah, I'm not tough enough to visit there. But I appreciate it from afar. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 02, 2011 10:35PM) (new)

Oh, I'd live there. And enjoy it.

For the whole 5 minutes that i'd survive, that is.

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments LOL Me too, Ala!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Yeah, five minutes is about right. And worse could happen, at that.