BGGWW Books discussion

Off Topic > Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Lutes (gelatinousgoo) | 51 comments Mod
Anyone else reading via Kindle?

I am absolutely a bibliophile. I love books. I seek out certain editions. I love Everyman's Library editions to books and I love Penguin Deluxe Classics (some of the artwork/design is great, some is downright aweful). I am currently reading an edition of The Three Musketeers that my wife got through an importer. Penguin UK puts out cooler editions than Penguin USA sometimes.

Here is my Three Musketeers:
The Three Musketeers (Penguin Classics) by Alexandre Dumas

I also recently got these Sherlock Holmes books through an importer:
A Study In Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Read Red) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Read Red) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle His Last Bow AND The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes (Read Red) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Anyway, I also just got a Kindle and I am very excited about it. As much as I love physical editions, there are some books that I just want to read and have them disappear. Most standard paperbacks I've read (Pillars of the Earth, Ender's Game, Asimov Robot novels, etc.), once I read them, I'm done with them. Certain classics, I keep in my personal library.

So, I think there is a place for Kindle (Game of Thrones, for example). But if I am stoked about a tricked out edition of something, I'd rather read from there.

And on that note, I'm waiting for this new gem to arrive from Amazon:
Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Anyone else using a Kindle? Any tips/tricks? Any advice on getting over the locations concept vs. the pages concept? I try to read 50 pages/day. I can't quite figure out what that means in Kindle-land.

message 2: by John (new)

John G. | 9 comments Mod
My house has both a Nook and a Kindle.

The Nook, with which I am more familiar, has a scaling issue with real life--one screenful does not equal one printed page, usually, but this problem I avoid by usually reading to chapter marks.

The most useful tip I can think of is using airplane mode and hard shuts if you want to extend the battery life. This made it easier for me to take the Nook (I think it was that one) across the Sierra with me in July. I went backpacking for over a week, and by using the hard shut, I had >60% of battery life available at the end.

It's also useful to store a PDF on them, in case you need a note or a reference for later.

I think you're right about books that you don't plan to keep (or sell)--that's a good use for the electronic version; they're usually cheaper, and you cut down fewer trees.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (nyriv) | 65 comments Mod
I have a nook, and find it's definitely a good way to read lighter books. It's generally much easier to tote around work, especially as I tend to be working on a few books at a time. I usually don't get much enjoyment out of the second run-through of a book, so my lending library generally has a "no-returns" policy (it keeps my books from exploding into my gaming shelves).

The ereaders are also a tremendous (and free) way to read those classics (especially if your nice copies are too nice to break the spine on) if you can deal with the occasional artifact from OCR scanning.

And being able to keep a handy .pdf copy of almost every RPG system I own in ym hand is a nice touch, too.

message 4: by David (new)

Stat, as I understand, the Kindle does not support library ebooks. Many(/most?/all?) other ereaders do.

Got the sample of Game of Thrones on Kindle last night. Just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger on downloading the rest of the book for a whopping $5. I think I can get used to the Kindle.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

yup. Kindle went the Apple version of friendly, open useage. Grab a nook and I'll loan you my copy of AGoT.

message 6: by Valkerie (new)

Valkerie Fabulous (valkerie32) | 15 comments Mod
I saw a thread here on good reads that Kindle is allowing for book lending now, if the puplisher doesn't opt out - same as the nook. I have a Kindle and my mom has a nook. She wants me to get a nook so we can share libraies. As she has a much bigger book stash than I do [being that i'm stingy and hate paying for things I can get cheeper elsewhere] I'm seriously considering it. Don't tell the husband. ;)

message 7: by Jeff (new)

nook also has a nice side benefit of releasing a free book every Friday. Mostly an early novel of an author they have many books to sell once you're hooked.

I think one thing you don't really appreciate is the number of romance novels in the world until you get an ereader -- it's like 300 independent Sweet Valley High series publishing weekly.

message 8: by David (new)

I read somewhere that the average romance novel reader consumes 50-100 books per year. My graduate degree has an emphasis on writing fiction. The professors and other seminarians always said, don't knock romance novels; if you want to make a living write those. If you want to try to write something important keep your day job.

message 9: by Valkerie (new)

I should warn you.. I *am* your average romance novel reader. :)

message 10: by Valkerie (new)

Dr. Ben wrote: "I'm judging you ;)"

I know. Very soon now I'll start to feel unsettled and a bit unsure of myself. Then I'll cough and eat a cookie and it will pass. I will have almost been profoundly affected. Almost.
=D

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Wood (enwood) | 6 comments You guys would *die* if you saw my actual bookshelf. 50% is romance. But they are fun, light reads and got me back into reading after a long hiatus, so I can't knock it.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Wood (enwood) | 6 comments And I have to add that I LOVE my kindle. I've read more indie authors since getting it and read a much more broad spectrum of books as well.

message 13: by Valkerie (new)

I think admitting that you like to read romance is like admitting you like Michael Jackson songs. You feel like you should be hiding the guilty secret, and then you find out you are in good company.

message 14: by Valkerie (new)

OK, but [so as to not hijack the thread] how do you feel about reading it on the Kindle? ;)

message 15: by Woodjh (new)

Woodjh | 2 comments My wife loves her kindle more than she loves me.

And I'm ok with that.

message 16: by David (new)

That's a great point, Stat. I pretty much demand the novels I read have love stories. And romance and love are totally different things. There is this tight scene in Age of Innocence when M. Olenska offers Archer one night of sex that they have both been craving but then she would sail back to her husband in Europe and they would never see each other again. Or, they can continue the way they are indefinitely: seeing each other often, talking often, being deeply in love with each other, but never ever able to express it, or show it in any way, and never consummate it.

I think Stat and I are judging romance novels from afar, but they seem like sex stories to me (bodice rippers, etc.). I'm sure there are sacrifices and lovey stuff. But, by and large, they invite me to judge them by their Fabio adorned cover and I do.

Great novels, to me, address the divide between sex and love and search for common ground between the two strangely different concepts. Lolita and Unbearable Lightness of Being both come to mind.

message 17: by David (new)

Don't get me wrong, though. Read what you enjoy. If a romance, detective, or spy novel inspire you to leave the TV off and read all night by the fire, or at a coffee shop on some impromptu lost-afternoon, or for 15 minutes in the break room at work, then go for it.

The important thing is just to read. And try not to read what you feel you "should" read or "are supposed to" read. Always read what is fun for you.

:steps down from pulpit:

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Wood (enwood) | 6 comments Goo wrote: "Don't get me wrong, though. Read what you enjoy. If a romance, detective, or spy novel inspire you to leave the TV off and read all night by the fire, or at a coffee shop on some impromptu lost-a..."

Honestly, if I don't enjoy what I'm reading, I'm not going to read it...what's the point? I do love classics, indie authors, thrillers, bestsellers, and romance. However, I feel compelled to point out that the romance genre is far reaching. I read a lot of Nora Roberts, who is considered to be a romance writer, but is in a far different league than the books with swashbuckling Fabio look-a-likes on the cover.

And I guess that sometimes, even when reading, I want to shut off my brain and just lose myself in mindless entertainment. Sort of like watching a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. ;)

message 19: by Jeff (new)

Ducking the rotten tomatoes

I never said it was a poor genre. But it is most definitely a prolific field. Individually, I am concerned both with writers who can toss off a novel every two months as those who seemingly take two decades writing a book in their seven part trilogy (not to name any names...)

And anyway, that entire romance genre just doesn't work for me, and I need a really good plot to get through all those icky scenes :)

message 20: by Sean (new)

Sean Tompkins (seanptexan) | 12 comments I've had my Nook for nearly a year now - I've read about 25 books in that time, but have 130 books downloaded to it! For Christmas this year I got my mom one, and we are sharing an account so we can buy once, read twice. I actively campaign against the Kindle because they don't support open standards, and don't support Overdrive (the library ebook system).

I really like reading on the e-reader - it's easy to keep track of, I can carry it almost everywhere, and store my whole library on it.

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri K (xandryyte) | 8 comments Mod
I like the idea of the Nook/Kindle but I am way too broke to get one at this time.

message 22: by John (new)

John G. | 9 comments Mod
As much as I like my Nook, a bit of a note about B&N right now:

Apparently, due to Christmas-related volume, they are having problems fixing orders where the original processing fails for some reason. (They apparently can't see the order internally for 1-6 days. In my case, it's been two days already. As a note: If you ever have to remember to cancel/get a new cc due to one being defrauded, make sure you actually USE that list of all the things you've tied to it.) In any case, they can try to do some magic by removing things from your books (even though you don't have a copy yet) and allowing a re-purchase, but you'll have to talk them into doing that, after spending at least a quarter of an hour on hold. (I've made dinner [from scratch] while on hold tonight.)

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Mod
Goo wrote: "I read somewhere that the average romance novel reader consumes 50-100 books per year. My graduate degree has an emphasis on writing fiction. The professors and other seminarians always said, don..."

Ha! My professors gave me the same advice :)

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been very anti-ereader for quite some time because of my love for actual books. (Yes, I smell them.) Josh/Karmic recently got a nook and I think I am a little jealous. Being able to get books instantly seems to have many advantages, especially for comparing writing styles. I have a feeling I might be changing my mind soon.

message 24: by Sean (new)

Sean Tompkins (seanptexan) | 12 comments You can get refurb models for cheaper -- Nook is available off and on at B&N here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/cp... for $140, and B&N offers them through Ebay right now for $120 + free shipping : http://stores.ebay.com/NOOK-by-Barnes...

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Mod
Thanks for the info and links, Sean!

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (miraria) | 20 comments Mod
I absolutely love by kindle. Erin got it for me for my birthday last year and it falls into one of hte best presents I have ever gotten. When I went shopping for a new purse i wouldn't buy one unless it had a "kindle pocket". It's pretty much never more than an arms length away.

I have about 160 books on it right now and i think i paid for less than 60 of those. There are so many classics to get for free I have been having fun doing some rereading of books I loved and just for some reason haven't read in a long time.

i did get the kindle with wifi only and I have never missed having a constant internet connection available.

message 27: by David (new)

So, who's getting the Kindle Fire?

message 28: by Jeff (new)

Goo wrote: "So, who's getting the Kindle Fire?"

Tempting, but I'm not a fan of Amazon (or Apple) pushing their customers to their own commerce sites exclusively. I'll probably just end up getting a solid Android tablet when I next upgrade (if they're still around then)

message 29: by Sara (new)

I am thinking about the fire, but really, I don't know what I would use it for. I have an ipod touch and a regular kindle so I don't know what else the fire could do for me.

Also not excited about the kindle touch. I touch the screen with my thumb while I am reading and I am not sure how much that would interupt the book.

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan Story | 14 comments Mod
So, my husband got a Kindle a while back with hopes of a dimmer screen helping his insomnia. (He used to read from his iPad.)

He's been sleeping just fine the past few weeks, so I've read two books on the Kindle and I like it, but don't love it. It seems slightly more arduous than it should be to load and unload books. I keep accidentally turning the pages back and forth, which is really annoying.

I do like that it's lighter than a book and doesn't have the small, bright screen like my iPhone. That said, I'm not sure I could justify the purchase price to buy one for me, considering I still get the majority of my books from the library.

message 31: by Sara (new)

The cool thing now is that some libraries actually have books to lend on the kindle and with there being a 79.00 kindle now i think it's pretty afordable. I know that not everyone can plonk down 79 bucks at any time, but it is more afordable then the 200 is was. The one thing i don't like is that i can't delete books from my account. i would love to get my mom a kindle for christmas and have it link to my account so she can access all the books I have but there are a couple on there that, well, i wouldn't be comfortable with her knowing I own. but there is no way to keep them from going to her kindle at the moment. Anyone have any solutions for that?