Dickens! Mwah! discussion

Underrated Dickens

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 19 comments Mod
I've read almost all of Dickens' work now (except Little Dorrit, Martin Chuzzlewith, and the Mystery of Edwin Drood, I believe).

I'm just about to finish up Hard Times, and I am LOVING it. It is so different than his other works. He talks about ADULTERY! Crazy, for Dickens. The characters are still wonderful and amusing arcehtypes, but they feel so real and developed at the same time. The development of the characters is the main focus of the book, and it's simply breathtaking. The plot is weak, and not that engaging, but the characters are just so phenomenal that I don't even miss an exciting intricate plot.

Hard Times is not one of the more well-known Dickens. Which of his books have surprised you before? Everyone has to read either Great Expectations or Tale of Two Cities in high school, and they're great and deserve a great reputation.

But I just feel like there are some of Dickens' lesser-known works that deserve more attention.

Long live Hard Times!

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Haven't read Hard Times, have finished Bleak House, am now reading Little Dorrit, have Great Expectations, and A Tale of Two Cities on my reading list.

message 3: by Valetta (last edited Dec 13, 2011 03:41AM) (new)

Valetta | 2 comments I live in Italy and here Dickens is not read or studied at school (apart from a single lesson during English literature class in high school), he's a famous author meaning that everybody knows his name but few read his books so every Dickens' book is a surprise for me!

I loved Hard Times but I found it really different from his other works, if I must choose a favourite a would say Our Mutual Friend or David Copperfield. While I must admit that I didn't particularly like Old Curiosity Shop.

message 4: by Dieter (new)

Dieter I really enjoyed "Sketches by Boz", his first stories and journalistic pieces that already show his immense talent and what he could/would eventually become!

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista | 3 comments I loved Hard Times, but think Oliver Twist would have to be my favorite. At least today.

message 6: by Rozzer (last edited Jun 10, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Rozzer I have really emotional, personal relationships with each of Dickens' stories and novels. I'm old, so I've been relating to them for around sixty years. Oliver Twist is really hard for me since I identify so completely with Oliver. Pickwick is to me the most enchanting example of a very young author's soaring first flight of his immense powers. I read it again and again. I love Nickleby and have read it many times, captivated by Squeers and Dotheboys Hall, by Nicholas' evil uncle, by the acting troupe that Nicholas becomes associated with. Bleak House, first read as a college freshman in 1963, and then read again and again. Of course, A Christmas Carol, something we all carry with us all our lives. And everything else. I'm now reading the Penguin book of his journalism (1850-1870). I've read Forster and have Douglas-Fairhurst's "Becoming Dickens" on my to-buy list. I'll be happily reading and re-reading Dickens until I die, which won't be all that long now.

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Graves | 1 comments I agree with Matt. NN is CD's masterpiece!