Art Lovers discussion

Art Museum Forum > Critics's favs in NY museums

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (last edited Jan 02, 2011 12:20PM) (new)

Tom This Weekend Arts NYT article has three art critics describing their favorite works in NY museums. Their choices represent a nice mix of canonical and contemporary pieces. Interesting to hear critics describe what they like about a painting as opposed to what they think makes it great.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/31/art...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I loved this paragraph, a wonderful description; very poetic:

Paintings, like poetry or music, are essential nutrients that help people sustain healthy lives. They’re not recreational pleasures or sidelines. They are tools that help us grasp the diversity of the world and its history, and explore the emotional capacities with which we navigate that world. They illuminate, they humble, they nurture, they inspire. They teach us to use our eyes and to know ourselves by knowing others.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments not available unless you log in

message 4: by Tom (last edited Jan 07, 2011 01:56PM) (new)

Tom Agreed, Heather. I noted that para, as well, as it summed up perfectly my experience about a recent trip to Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, in Richmond. We had time only for the American collection, but that was more than enough to "illuminate, humble, nurture, and inspire." Hopper's "House at Dusk" was my favorite. Highly recommend if you're ever in Richmond.

Heather wrote: "I loved this paragraph, a wonderful description; very poetic:

Paintings, like poetry or music, are essential nutrients that help people sustain healthy lives. They’re not recreational pleasures or..."