The Pulitzer Project discussion

2011 Book Reviews & Discussions > The Town by Conrad Richter (1951)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) Discussion thread for The Town by Conrad Richter.

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:13PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) Just for information's sake:
The Town is the third book in the Awakening Land Trilogy. The other two books are The Trees and The Fields. I don't know if you need to read the other two before hand, but I plan to. Since its a trilogy ...

message 3: by Snafuzled (new)

Snafuzled  (snafuzled) | 15 comments I have read The Trees and I'm almost done with The Town. I enjoyed The Trees much more than The Town. I will be interested to see how it wraps up in The Town.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) Did you read The Fields, which is the 2nd book of the trilogy?

message 5: by Snafuzled (new)

Snafuzled  (snafuzled) | 15 comments Yes, I did. I misspoke earlier, I was almost done with The Fields, which I have since completed.

I read The Trees and then Lamb in His Bosom and THEN The Fields. I have no idea why I did that. After Lamb in His Bosom, I was underwhelmed by The Fields. I don't know if I was just underwhelmed because they are similar in theme and I adored Lamb, or if it was just not as good as The Trees (which I loved). I am just starting The Town now. I hope I fall in love with the series again! Did you read them all?

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) I have not read any of them yet. I just finished Lamb in His Bosom last night and loved it, too. My family is from the South and her characterizations of the speech was very similar to my father's. For instance, cyart instead of cart.

I'm reading non-fiction Pulitzer next: Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II -- Douglas A. Blackmon

I have long contended that the Civil War did not end in 1865 but continued, at minimum, through the 70s if not even till today. So this will be an interesting read for me.

After that, I will read the Richter series and then the Updike Rabbit series.

message 7: by Snafuzled (new)

Snafuzled  (snafuzled) | 15 comments Could you believe that Lias?! Ugh! Just out of curiosity, how were you pronouncing Cean? I was thinking See-ann. I got quite attached to that version, and don't think I could change it now. ha

I will be doing the Rabbit series after a Confederacy of Dunces. I'm looking forward to it! I'm in another classic book club - so I have to keep up with that in the meantime. I hope you enjoy the Civil War book.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) I think that Margot was wise that, at last, she married someone of her own species, if you take my drift. Lias was just a nasty piece of work.

I pronounced Cean "Shawn" at first, having seen that. Then came the part where Seen was upset that Vincent was calling the baby Seen and she insisted she be called Cean. So I decided the pronunciation was See-ann, like you did. And called her that thereafter.

I was so sad when Lonzo died. And Maggie. And the girls from the fire.

BTW, I sent you a friend request.

message 9: by Snafuzled (new)

Snafuzled  (snafuzled) | 15 comments Hey - you are my first friend! ha

The Lonzo thing shocked me - I just completely didn't see it coming! It was amazing how strong she was.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) So much for this being a discussion about The Town, eh?

message 11: by Snafuzled (new)

Snafuzled  (snafuzled) | 15 comments Ha- yeah, but it kind of looks like we are the only ones here, so I suppose we could run around naked and no one would notice.

I suppose any further Lias bashing and Lonzo discussion should go in the Lamb thread.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) Ah, Sulie ... Both of them. I had to hurry forward in The Trees to see if they found her. Cried for a bit. Cried for a bit over Sulie in The Fields. Cried for a bit

message 13: by Debbie (last edited Mar 06, 2012 09:51PM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) Ah, Sulie ... Both of them. I had to hurry forward in The Trees to see if they found her. Cried for a bit. Cried for a bit over Sulie in The Fields. Cried for a bit for Sayward regarding Sulie in The Town. Almost done with The Town. I think the Trees was the best of the 3 in the series.