Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - Games > Pick-a-Book Chain Gang

Comments Showing 1-50 of 481 (481 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments A couple of months ago, I had a suggestion of a challenge for those that
keep their TBR (to-read) list filled with books they own
don't always read them
don't mind being told what to read (takes the pressure off sometimes)

My thoughts (based on a challenge I do with another book club) was that someone else tells you exactly what to read, based on what shelf you tell them to look at.

For an example:
Mary: "I am interested in participating and the person picking for me should use my "to-read" shelf." (you could use a shelf labeled owned or needs-reviews, ect.)
Jane: "Mary, please read BOOK because ... "
The person picking for me should use my "have" shelf."

There are many different reasons that you might want to pick a book for someone.
1.) You have never read it and want some ones opinion,
2.) you just read that book and want to see if others liked it for the same reasons,
3.) you have never heard of the book/author and are very curious,
4.) it is one of your favorites and you don't want anyone to go without reading it, ect...... (you get the idea, it is sometimes nice to know why you want them to read it)

After reading the book that has been selected for you, it is always nice to let the person that made the request know what you thought of the book and that is also how you sign up for another selection to be made for you (the never ending chain).

So continuing the example....
Mary: "Jane, I finished BOOK and enjoyed it. (if you have a review, you could link it here)
Will the person picking for me please use my 'to-read' shelf."

This is more of an on-going challenge this way so it does differ from the Pick it for Me challenge that is done in another group, plus you are not getting a choice, one book recommendation given, one book read then you can get another.
If for some reason you don't finish the book that was selected for you, you need to return to this thread to explain why you didn't finish before you can have another book selected for you.

I hope that makes sense, it does in my head but I already know what I mean.
But if you have any question, comments or suggestions to make it work better, I am here daily (internet connection allowing), so just let me know.

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Sep 08, 2011 08:03AM) (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Readers, what they are reading,
who asked them to read it, when they are done ...

✓ - 1 Debbie will read Oklahoma Sweetheart (2/1)
✓ - 2 Adrienne will read Stolen Innocence (1/10)
✓ - 3 Lauren will read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks (1/6)
✓ - 4 Tara will read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (1/9)
✓ - 5 Lahni will read The Book Thief (2/2)
✓ - 6 Vicki will read The Glass Castle (2/6)
7 Emily will read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
✓ - 8 Susan will read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (1/16)
✓ - 9 Kim L. will read Neverwhere (3/11)
✓ - 10 Lyn M. will read The Hunger Games (2/21)
✓ - 11 Karen will read Shadow of the Wind (1/17)
≠ 12 Lauren will read The Witch of Blackbird Pond (3/11)
✓ - 13 Luann will read Room (1/17)
✓ - 14 Karen D. will read The Surgeon (1/24)
✓ - 15 Tara will read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (2/6)
✓ - 16 Adrienne will read More Than Just Race Being Black (1/24)
✓ - 17 Susan will read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2/1)
✓ - 18 Karen will read Chains (1/30)
✓ - 19 Luann will read Going Postal (3/19)
✓ - 20 Mercy will read Let the Right One In (2/11)
✓ - 21 Karen D. will read Prodigal Son (2/6)
✓ - 22 Adrienne will read North and South (2/6)
✓ - 23 Karen will read Out (3/2)
✓ - 24 Susan will read The Graveyard Book (2/18)
✓ - 25 Debbie will read My Soul to Lose (2/7)
✓ - 26 Lahni will read Saving Ceecee Honeycutt (2/11)
27 Vicki will read The Lace Makers of Glenmara
✓ - 28 Tara will read His Majesty's Dragon (3/17)
✓ - 29 Adrienne will read The Help (2/25)
✓ - 30 Karen D. will read Cold Earth (2/19)
✓ - 31 Delicious Dee will read Graceling (4/10)
≠ 32 Debbie will read The Magician (6/1)
✓ - 33 Mercy will read Ender's Game (4/26)
✓ - 34 Susan will read The Help (7/3)
✓ - 35 Karen D. will read The Quiet Game (3/24)
36 onarock will read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
37 Lyn M will read Mossflower
✓ - 38 Adrienne will read Operation Mincemeat (3/10)
✓ - 39 cat will read Five by Endo (3/13)
✓ - 40 Kazza will read Lord John and the Private Matter (3/17)
✓ - 41 Lahni will read Zombies vs. Unicorns (4/6)
✓ - 42 Adrienne will read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (3/26)
43 Katey will read The Tales of Beedle the Bard
44 Monica will read The Kite Runner
✓ - 45 Lauren will read The Help (4/17)
46 Kim L. will read The Amaranth Enchantment
✓ - 47 cat will read Dark Water (3/21)
✓ - 48 Tara will read You (4/18)
✓ - 49 Kazza will read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher (4/21)
✓ - 50 Mitzie will read The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society (4/4)

✓ - reading done & ready for another selection - ✔

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Sep 08, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments ✓ - 51 Luann will read The Kite Rider (4/17)
✓ - 52 cat will read Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America (3/28)
✓ - 53 Karen will read Slave to Sensation (4/13)
✓ - 54 D.G.~The Devil's Harlot~ will read The Blood of Flowers (6/9)
✓ - 55 Adrienne will read Lord John and the Private Matter (5/8)
✓ - 56 Mitzie will read The Power of One (5/3)
57 Delicious Dee will read Memoirs of a Geisha
✓ - 58 Liz will read Sarah's Key (4/18)
✓ - 59 Karen will read The Devil's Punchbowl (5/13)
✓ - 60 Lauren will read Anne of Green Gables (4/25)
61 Luann will read The Scorch Trials
✓ - 62 Liz will read Daughter of the Forest (4/22)
✓ - 63 Tara will read The Dead Of Night (7/16)
✓ - 64 Kazza will read River God: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (9/8)
✓ - 65 Liz will read The White Queen (5/20)
✓ - 66 Lauren will read The Road (5/13)
✓ - 67 Mercy will read Twenties Girl (5/31)
✓ - 68 Mitzie will read Tuesdays with Morrie (5/10)
✓ - 69 Bea will read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (7/16)
✓ - 70 Adrienne will read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dance (6/24)
✓ - 71 Mitzie will read Atonement (6/2)
✓ - 72 Lauren will read Madame Tussaud:A Novel of the French Revolution (6/3)
✓ - 73 Karen will read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (6/30)
74 Liz will read The Handmaid's Tale
75 Mercy will read Gone With the Wind
✓ - 76 Lauren will read Like Water for Chocolate (6/21)
77 D.G. ~Vile Temptress will read On a Pale Horse
78 Ashley will read City of Ashes
✓ - 79 Mitzie will read The Memory Keeper's Daughter (8/4)
80 Lauren will read High Fidelity
✓ - 81 Adrienne will read The Disappearing Spoon
83 Bea will read The Winthrop Woman
✓ - 84 Tara will read In the Woods (9/3)
85 Adrienne will read The Bastard of Istanbul
86 Mitzie will read Eat, Pray, Love
87 Debbie will read The Magician's Elephant
88 Luann will read Isle of Swords
89 Tara will read Oryx and Crake
90 Candiss will read Interpreter of Maladies
91 Lahni will read To Kill a Mockingbird
92 Kazza will read *what*

The most Recent Update for this chain.

who will read *what*

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Ok, so I will start. I would like to have a book picked for me from my to-read shelf.

the first person that makes a selection is the only one I have to read, and then they post a shelf for the next person to chose from.

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Okay, I'm game.

Debbie, I want you to read Oklahoma Sweetheart (#120 on your to-read shelf) because I live in Oklahoma and there just aren't enough books set here.

The person choosing for me should choose from my to-read shelf

And...go!

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Jan 02, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Lauren | 247 comments I'm in!

Adrienne my pick for you is Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs (#4 on your shelf) because I rated it as a 5 star read. It is immensely moving.

The person choosing for me can choose from my to-read shelf

Sounds like fun!

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments that is a great reason, I live in OK also so this will be fun. thanks

message 8: by Tara (last edited Jan 02, 2011 01:38PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I want to participate too. I am almost finished with a book so I am looking for some guidance.

Lauren- I think you should read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (number 99 on your list).
It is a wonderful book (I rated it 5 stars) and is on this month's shelf and can be used for the mini SAT.

The person choosing for me can choose from my to-read shelf
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...
(I wish I knew how to rename the link).

message 9: by Lauren (last edited Jan 02, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Thanks Tara!!

If you click on the little "(some html is ok)" note to the right and top of the comment box it shows you how to rename your link. I tried putting the intstructions here but it kept creating a link... :)

message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments I'll play -

Tara, I want you to read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. I read it earlier this year and I'm curious to see what you think of it. It may be her debut novel too but I'm not sure.

The person choosing for me can choose from my to-read shelf.
(I too need to learn to rename a link)

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Thanks Lahni!! I have the book on my bookshelf ready to go!

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I'll give it a try.

Lahni, I'd like for you to read The Book Thief for a few reasons. It provides a unique perspective on the Holocaust, it is one of my all time favorites (I even purchased a copy because I did not own the one I read) and because you rated Night highly so I feel you will be moved by it.

The person who picks for me can pick from my I own shelf.

message 13: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments That's perfect, Vickie. I've wanted to read it for a while but it keeps getting pushed back. And I even have it waiting for me on my Kindle.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments I think I'm going to hate to love this game. But one of my New Year's resolutions is to actually read the books on my shelves instead of going out and getting new ones.

So, Vickie I pick The Glass Castle for you to read. I read it and loved it. It was the best memoir I've ever read.

The person picking for me can pick from my to read shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Great Lahni! I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, Emily. I have been wanting to read for so long. Now I have an excuse to pull it from the shelf.

message 16: by Susan (last edited Jan 04, 2011 12:36PM) (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "I think I'm going to hate to love this game. But one of my New Year's resolutions is to actually read the books on my shelves instead of going out and getting new ones.

Emily, I'd like you to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I think I saw the movie a number of years ago, and am wondering whether it is worth it to read the book. (Usually I read a book before I see the related movie.)

The person choosing for me should choose from my href="http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/... to-read shelf.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim This sounds like so much fun!!

Susan - I tried to pick a book for you from your to-read shelf, but your profile was set to private!

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments oh goodness, forgot to mention that if you have a private account that we might need to add friends, or open you account while the choosing process is going on.

Hopefully Susan you will get a chance to make a selection soon and then someone can select for you too Kim.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments Thanks Susan great pick. I've been dreading reading this book because of how much I loved the movie.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I would pick for Susan, also, but her profile is private.

I can pick for Kim??

message 21: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm in!

Adrienne my pick for you is Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs (#4 on your shelf) bec..."

Got the book in at the library today! I'm all ready to go. Thanks, Lauren!

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim Lyn - Maybe you can go ahead and pick for me and I will pick for Susan as soon as she either friends me or makes her profile public.

Here is my to read shelf:

Cool, Kim. I already look at your list, and I pick Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It was a definite 5 star read for me, and I want to see what others think of it.

The person picking for me should pick from my to read mine shelf

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim Thanks, Lyn! Good pick! I have been wanting to read that one and just haven't gotten around to it. It looks like I can check it out from the library and read it on my Nook.

I am excited! This is fun!

message 25: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8733 comments Mod
Hey Lyn, I picked The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins for you. I absolutely loved it (one of the best / memorable books I read in 2009). Do you really have all those books physically on your shelf? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Go here to pick for me

message 26: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Jan 06, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Karen - I do. Which is why I am doing the Read at least three per month from my shelves, and the no book buying for the whole year things. Pretty sad, huh?!

I have been wanting to get to The Hunger Games for a long time, so this will be my impetus!

message 27: by Lauren (last edited Jan 06, 2011 07:53PM) (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Thank you Tara for the recommendation. I just finished The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks I gave it 3 stars. My review (includes spoilers) can be found here

It was a good story with a strong message and I liked the strong female lead. There were a few things that really rubbed me the wrong way about the book and that is why I gave it 3 stars.

So if I understand this correctly I choose a book for the previous person (Karen) and receive another recommendation.

Karen: I choose The Shadow of the Wind (#94 on your shelf) for you to read. This is a book I gave 5 stars to and lingers with me even though I read it a couple years ago.

The person choosing for me can choose from my to-read shelf.

message 28: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments @ Lauren- I am glad you liked it. It is a nice quick read. I Read your review and I agree about the nickname. I did love the fact that the character was not your typical high school girl character. When I read it I thought "I hope my daughter grows up to be a bit like her."

message 29: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8733 comments Mod
Thanks, Lauren... Will have to get it from the library in my next trip :)

Am currently reading Disreputable (it's just too long to type!) and whilst I'm only about 1/3 of the way & I haven't read your review (avoiding spoilers), I do agree there's something a bit annoying!

message 30: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Wow, Lauren! You're quick! I'm going to pick The Witch of Blackbird Pond for you. It is one of my childhood favorites. I used to reread it about once a year growing up. It is also a Newbery Medal winner.

The person picking for me can use my to-read shelf. I don't own all of those books, but should have access to most of them through my public library. I should make a to-read-owned shelf!

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Lyn M wrote: "Karen - I do. Which is why I am doing the Read at least three per month from my shelves, and the no book buying for the whole year things. Pretty sad, huh?!

I have been wanting to get to The Hung..."

Me too, I have to stop buying and read what I got first. I have done something similar, except I will allow myself to buy, but restricted - heavily :)

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Lauren wrote: "Thank you Tara for the recommendation. I just finished The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks I gave it 3 stars. My review (includes spoilers) can be found here

It was a ..."

That was fast Lauren, yep - you got the right idea, you select for the next person that needs it. I am trying to keep up with who has book selections and who needs them at the top of the page. I am doing links right now let me know if that helps any.

I am very happy to see so many of you willing to try this with me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Count me in, I'd like somebody to pick a book from my to be read shelf.

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim Karen wrote: "Count me in, I'd like somebody to pick a book from my to be read shelf.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/..."

I think you need to pick a book for Luann first and then the next person can pick for you.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Kim L wrote: "Karen wrote: "Count me in, I'd like somebody to pick a book from my to be read shelf.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/..."

I think you need to pick a book for Luann fir..."

Thanks, it does say that further up the page but I'm just being a bit thick right now.

I want Luann to read Room by Emma Donoghue

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Thanks Kim, well said.

Glad to have you here with us Karen, since there are 2 of you (Karen's) on the tracking list up top, I will add your last name initial so we can tell who is reading what and who needs a new book suggestion. K :)

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Luann thank you for the recommendation! I will check this one out of the library, I had the last one on my shelf at home. I am looking forward to this one.

I have a tbr shelf for the books I own, but it's not that up to date, maybe I should look at that!

message 38: by Susan (new)

Kim L wrote: "This sounds like so much fun!!

Susan - I tried to pick a book for you from your to-read shelf, but your profile was set to private!"

I think I fixed the profile setting. Will someone let me know if you're able to get in now or not?

message 39: by Susan (new)

Lauren wrote: "Thank you Tara for the recommendation. I just finished The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks I gave it 3 stars. My review (includes spoilers) can be found here

It was a ..."

Lauren, such a great pick for Karen! I just finished reading it and LOVED it!

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 101 comments Susan wrote: "Kim L wrote: "This sounds like so much fun!!

Susan - I tried to pick a book for you from your to-read shelf, but your profile was set to private!"

I think I fixed the profile setting. Will someon..."

yep, that worked, Kim L can now get you a book suggestion. Thanks so much

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim Susan wrote: "Kim L wrote: "This sounds like so much fun!!

I think I fixed the profile setting. Will someon..."

It worked great, Susan! My pick for you is Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.

message 42: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Oooh I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is one of my all time favorites and I don't have many of those.

message 43: by Susan (last edited Jan 07, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Kim L wrote: "Susan wrote: "Kim L wrote: "This sounds like so much fun!!

I think I fixed the profile se..."

Thanks, Kim! I don't even remember putting it on my TBR list, so it's a terrific choice -- almost like a totally new discovery. :) I'll ask for it right away from the library!

message 44: by Kim (new)

Kim Lahni wrote: "Oooh I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is one of my all time favorites and I don't have many of those."

I loved it too! I gave it to my mom for her birthday this month.

message 45: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lahni wrote: "Oooh I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is one of my all time favorites and I don't have many of those."

It is a wonderful book. I love the books that stay with you a long time after you read it... I still think about that book a lot.

message 46: by Luann (last edited Jan 08, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Karen wrote: "Count me in, I'd like somebody to pick a book from my to be read shelf.... I want Luann to read Room by Emma Donoghue"

Thanks for the pick, Karen of the bookworm! I'm including the link to your to be read shelf here so the next person to make a pick can easily find it. Your original link is now quite a few messages up.

One of my friends also recommended Room by Emma Donoghue to me, so that's how it made it to my TBR shelf. So that's an additional incentive to read it! My library has it, but is currently closed due to some burst pipes and flooding. :( I'll get the book and read it as soon as I can, but it might be a few weeks.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Tara wrote: "Lahni wrote: "Oooh I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is one of my all time favorites and I don't have many of those."

It is a wonderful book. I love the books that stay with yo..."

You're both making me excited about it -- I can't wait!

message 48: by Tara (last edited Jan 09, 2011 09:00PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I just finished The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane tonight. I liked it. I would have given it 3 1/2 stars if I could. I love magical realism, so I appreciated the magical elements of the story and the research that she put into the book. Thanks Lahni!

For Karen of the Bookworm: I pick
The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen .
This is a group read for another group I am in, and I would love to hear what you think of it. I still have to read it myself. Hopefully, your review will help it move up my TBR.

The person picking for me can find me the next book to read for my a challenge I am participating in.
Challenge Books

(Yay- figured out the link thing)

message 49: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Tara - I'm glad you liked the book. It was just ok for me. But I love reading about the Salem Witch Trials.

message 50: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Natasha wrote: "This idea is making me want to actually put books on my to-read shelf. Haha. I might have to put a few on there so I can participate. It's a very nifty idea."

You could probably just make a short list of books you want to read in your post and have the person choose from those.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10