Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Beth's 50 Books 2011

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments I had such a great year of reading in 2010, I decided to document it again this year. I finished 54 books in 2010 and there were very few on that list that I would not recommend to others. I'm very excited for this new year of reading!!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 1) The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

It was better than the first one, but not one of my favorites. If all of my friends did not totally rave about these books, I would not pursue the third one. That said, I think I'll read a few other books before I get to the last of this trilogy!

message 3: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (vickymarie) hi beth, i felt similar. loads of friends were raving about the trilogy saying how great it was etc. it was good but i did not get the hype.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 2)Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan

I don't really know what to say about this book....it was somewhat interesting & compelling, and disturbing and also a little boring at times.

2011 is not off to the best reading start, but I'm confident there are some great reads in my future!

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 3)A Whole Nother Story by Cuthbert Soup

This sort-of counts even though I read it out loud to my children. I did read it after all :o). Anyway, it was a super creative and funny book that we all enjoyed. Plenty of laugh out loud moments as this zany tale unfolds. We are hoping there is a sequel on the way!

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 4)Prospect Street by Emilie Richards - this was an easy to read and engrossing book!

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 7) The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan - loved this book! So funny & heartfelt!

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 9) Project: Happily Ever After: Saving Your Marriage When the Fairytale Falters by Alisa Bowman..I read an article about this book and it sparked my curiosity, but
I skimmed a lot. What I did read was okay. She raises some great points and is definitely very honest in her writing. Maybe I'd feel differently if my marriage was in crisis.......

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 181 comments Beth wrote: "10) A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay"

Oooh, what did you think of this one?? I loved Sarah's Key, so I'm curious how this one may compare! I noticed it doesn't exactly get rave reviews on Goodreads.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments Amy wrote: "Beth wrote: "10) A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay"

Oooh, what did you think of this one?? I loved Sarah's Key, so I'm curious how this one may compare! I notic..."

I loved Sarah's Key too! This was not even close to that - almost boring. It wasn't badly written, just not much of a story. I'm really picking mediocre books this year.....

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 11) Rescuing Rose by Isabel Wolff~ not nearly as good as "A Vintage Affair", but it was a decent read.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 12)Left Neglected by Lisa Genova - this was okay. It was a subject that I had not heard about before and I found the condition of "Left Neglect" very interesting to read about, but the story itself was little flat. Genova's book Still Alice is a much better read!

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 13)Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg ~ one of my favorite authors, but not one of my favorite books.

message 18: by Rico (new)

Rico Austin | 5 comments Amiga Beth, for an incredible Adventure, Mystery & Journey, please check out the epic novel "My Bad Tequila" and see why all the 5 STAR Reviews! Gracias & Enjoy, rico http://www.mybadtequila.com

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 14)The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee~ an okay YA read. It had some real depth at times, but at others it was disjointed and didn't really communicate the real feelings & issues of the central character, Beth.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 15) Tales from the Bed: A Memoir by Jenifer Estess ~ Loved this book!! It is a very personal and touching book about Jenifer Estess's tight relationship with 2 of her sisters and her battle with ALS. Together they started Project ALS, an organization created to find a cure for ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). It's an amazing organization that I've supported for a few years in honor of a friend that is currently fighting the fight for his life with ALS. It's a wonderful book!

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 16) Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy..... This was Binchy's first novel. I loved it! Just the kind of book I needed during a stressful time. Maeve Binchy rarely let's me down when I need a good story!

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 17) These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner ~ great historical fiction read!

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 18) The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain - wow! A great read that grabbed my attention and didn't let go until the end. It's a real page-turner of a story! Loved it!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 21) I Remember You by Harriet Evans ~ this book lacked a lot of things like depth of character and character development, but I loved the story and enjoyed reading it

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 22)The Season of Second Chances: A Novel by Diane Meier - this was a slow, sweet novel. I loved it!

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 23)Escape by Carolyn Jessop~ an interesting story, but not very well written. It dragged on in many places.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 24)Seeing Julia by Katherine Owen~ great beach book!

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 25) Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan - I liked this book, but I feel like it just ended all of a sudden.

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 26) The Island by Elin Hilderbrand -perfect beach read!

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 27)The Outside Boy by Jeanine Cummins ~ This is a gem of a book written from the perspective of an 11 year old boy named Christopher who is a "traveller" or a gypsy in Ireland in the 1950's. It is wonderfully simple to read, but very thoughtful, thought-provoking and beautifully written!

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 28)Clean by Alejandro Junger~ not my usual kind of book, but I'm becoming more interested in the body's ability to heal itself and find it's own balance. I read this cover to cover and found it very interesting even though it specifically refers to a cleansing program developed by the author. There were many interesting theories presented in this book.

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 29)Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott ~ great book about parenting an out-of- control teenager. Perfect timing for me on this one; although it is not my own child I am dealing with at the moment, I am involved with a young adult dealing with some very serious stuff. This book was a work of fiction, but it hit close to home and I thought it was very well-written. I've always loved Anne Lamott.

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 30)The Beach Trees by Karen White ~ great read!!!

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 31) Joy For Beginners by Erica Bauermeister ~ This book had highs and lows for me. It discusses a group of women and their experiences while completing a task or adventure that they fear. I loved several of the characters and their stories, but found a few of them completely flat and boring.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 32) Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson ~ compelling story with a twist. The book lacked a lot in terms of character development (none), consistency, credibility, but the story was interesting if nothing else.

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 33) Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs ~ fine, easy read. A typical, predictable, chick-lit book. I'm ready for some heavier stuff for my 50 reads this year!

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 34) Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman - loved this book!!

I'm a little off schedule for 50 books this year....we'll see how it goes, but I was very happy to find a good read this time around. I'm having a year of quite a few mediocre reading it seems. Maybe the tide is turning!

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 35) Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella - I didn't like this book much at the beginning, but it grew on me and I was engaged about halfway through. It was a sweet little read.

message 41: by Beth (last edited Oct 17, 2011 10:32AM) (new)

message 42: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 37)Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt ~ I was just in the mood for this kind of book, so I really liked it.

Don't think I'm going to make 50 this year, but I'm still plugging along

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 38) The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue

message 44: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 39) Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres

message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 40) The Divorce Party

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 41) The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

message 47: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments 42) Falling Home by Karen White

message 48: by Beth (last edited Dec 29, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Beth | 343 comments 43) !The Giftby Pete Hamill ~ I love Pete Hamill's books!

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth | 343 comments Not going to complete my 50 book challenge this year, but I just started another book which will be my first read for my 50 book goal in 2012! A 2 week vacation in January should help me get a head start next year!

Happy New Year!