Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Jan 02, 2011 06:21AM) (new)

Rachel Brand Our lovely Diane is now a moderator! Since our group has been growing steadily over the last few months I felt that I needed someone else to help run the group, especially as I'll be busy this month with exams. I'm sure you'll all welcome Diane in her new role!

I'm going to visit family in England for most of this week so Diane will be keeping an eye on things for me - running the group read discussion, clearing up any problems, etc, so don't hesitate to contact her with any issues. There's also our Recommendations post where you can let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Hopefully our little group will keep growing and we'll have the need for more of our long-standing members to become moderators :)

...and some non-group related news: I got engaged on new year's eve!

message 2: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I think that's great especialy since Diane is a librarian now! And she always has great ideas and news about kindles, kindle freebies, netgalley books etc etc ......

Congrats Diane!!!

Congrats to you too Rachel!

message 3: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments O congrats to you Rachel on your engagement!

Yeah for a new moderator!

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1286 comments Mod
Congratulations to both Rachel and Diane!

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Congrats to Rachel & Diane!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Also, just to note - we now have a non-Amish book discussion section, and I've rearranged the sections a bit depending on which are used the most. Please let me know if you'd prefer a different arrangement :)

message 8: by Barbara (new)

I saw this on face book and thought I'd share it with the group...

From Cindy Woodsmall -- I’ve been quiet since Christmas due to making trips back and forth from Georgia to Pennsylvania to see my dad. He's been ill for a long time and we had a powerful final visit with him a few weeks back. He passed away last week, and we buried him Thursday. We lost my mom thirteen years ago, so my special needs brother is hurting we begin a long journey of changes for him and us.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Thanks for sharing, Barbara. I'm sure that we'll all be praying for Cindy and her family. Winter is never a good time for older people, it always seems to hit them the hardest as they're the most vulnerable.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Jodie wrote: "Just wanted to leave a quick post letting you all know that today only there is a great deal over at Living Social. You can get a $20 Amazon gift card for just $10! Do you know how many great kindl..."

Got the card -- thanks!

message 11: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 19 comments Jodie wrote: "Just wanted to leave a quick post letting you all know that today only there is a great deal over at Living Social. You can get a $20 Amazon gift card for just $10! Do you know how many great kindl..."

I love coffee. Love a cup of anything hot really. I think it's just the thought of taking the time to sit and be still while drinking it. Kinda makes you take a "time out".

message 12: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 19 comments Not sure where to post this. But I just read on the Love Inspired discussion group that author Leisha Kelly and her 16 yr old son were killed yesterday. I really enjoy her writings. That is so sad. She leaves a husband and a daughter. Leisha was a youth minister at her church. Pray for her family.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Someone posted this on Twitter yesterday, how awful. I'm sure we'll all be praying for her family while they grieve.

message 14: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Oh my goodness. What a tragedy. Do you think maybe we can as a group send some condolence cards to her family? Maybe via her publisher?

message 15: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments O no. :(

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Camille, sending cards to her publisher sounds like a really nice idea.

In the article it said that this was the fourth traffic accident in that area this month - how tragic. Surely they'll investigate why that road causes so many problems? It's not fair that families should suffer like this due to poor road maintenance.

message 17: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I have the address for her publisher, Baker/Revell Publishing Group. It is available here:

http://www.revellbooks.com/ME2/Audien...

I am happy to send a card on behalf of our group, do we think this is a good idea?

Of course, everyone is welcome to send their own card or letter as well...

Let me know what you think.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I made a Listopia list for Amish fiction - cast your votes!

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/87...

message 19: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments As of today, March 9, 2011, we have 101 members of our group! Yeah us!!!!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand This morning (UK time) we had 100 so we've already gained another member in the last few hours! I'm so excited about how much our group is growing. Thanks so much to all of you for helping make this group such a lovely place to spend time :)

message 21: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments 101 members, wow! Way to go!

message 22: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments 101 members, wow! Way to go!

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Giveaway news! Just wanted to let you guys know that the website I write for - www.thechristianmanifesto.com - will be running a five-book giveaway for Lilly's Wedding Quilt by Kelly Long, starting on the 21st of March! I'll post the link once the page is on the website, but in the meantime, I've written a very persuasive review of her book. I loved it, so definitely enter the competition!

http://www.thechristianmanifesto.com/...

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Just added a new section, "News & Information" to the forum to keep all the important but not really book-discussion posts together.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand 150 members! How exciting! :)

message 26: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments We have grown SO much since I first joined in September! Yay! :)

message 27: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Hello everybody!

I'm not sure if you heard but 2 tornadoes came through Western Massachusetts on Wednesday early evening. Thankfully I live on top of a mountain and we are all fine with no damage at all to our house and neighborhood. Unfortunately, all around us is totally destroyed. The town over, Monson, is leveled. There are no trees anywhere and houses are destroyed. It is so overwhelming! These kinds of things aren't supposed to happen in New England.

We tried 8 different ways to get home with no success. Finally, after 5 hours of driving, we made it to the highway and got home via Connecticut.

We did have contact with our neighbors so we knew that everything was okay but my dog was in his yard all alone. I guess another neighbor came by to bring him to their house before the 2nd tornado hit but he refused to leave his dog house.

We lost power until 9:30 pm last night. So for us, it was like camping without water and power. My hubby was able to get a generator so we could save all the food in our freezer and run some lights in the house for the evening. We turned on the fridge in the camper (it uses propane) and I moved everything from the inside fridge to that one. We also have a fresh spring up the road so we filled up a 5 gallon jug for water and used our pool water to flush the toilet.

I am at work today since I was able to shower and I did not have to babysit a generator. We have power and our well, cable and internet are back but we have limited cell use. I think 3 of the 4 local towers were taken out.

But on the bright side, I made 2 cards, dusted the house, put all the laundry away, knitted a hat, worked on my latest pair of socks and read 26% of my book for book club. Someone was watching over us for sure!

message 28: by Lisa (last edited Jun 03, 2011 09:16AM) (new)

Lisa conner (ptl44lmc) | 99 comments Jodie , u r so right about telling the storm how BIG our God is!!! i live here in centeral southern FLA. so we have been through some awful hurricanes. So i know girls how overwhelming it can b w/ no power and all all the inconvinces. we were predicted this is suppose to b a busy year for hurricane that just started and runs till nov. but i serve a BIG God!
my prayers r w/ u diane and friends

message 29: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments So glad you are ok Diane!

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Saw this on Beth Wiseman's blog and thought I'd share here in case anyone missed it...

Happy Saturday Everyone! I just wanted to pass on some news for the Nook and Kindle Users! Plain Promise--book #3 in the Daughters of the Promise series--is on sale at both Amazon and Barnes and Noble for $1.99.

message 31: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Goodness! I have been so quiet lately, because I just spent the weekend moving (YUCK!) but my new place is really cute, and my roommates are so much fun! :) Plus, it has a pool (which is really a necessity in this horrid Arizona heat!) Tomorrow I head to California for about 10 days for my mom's wedding, and will be driving in the car a LOT! Which, since I am not driving the car myself, means I can do LOTS of reading! YAY! :) I may be quiet for the next couple of weeks, but will hopefully get through our June reads! :)

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth | 2 comments Camille wrote: "Goodness! I have been so quiet lately, because I just spent the weekend moving (YUCK!) but my new place is really cute, and my roommates are so much fun! :) Plus, it has a pool (which is really ..."

Camille: What part of AZ did you move to? Are you new to AZ? I also live in sunny AZ. I live in Tucson. We have lived here almost 7yrs. It is hot but nothing like the humidity we left; when we lived in the Midwest (which we do not miss a all). Thanks for the welcome earlier this morning! ~Beth

message 33: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Beth wrote: "Camille wrote: "Goodness! I have been so quiet lately, because I just spent the weekend moving (YUCK!) but my new place is really cute, and my roommates are so much fun! :) Plus, it has a pool (..."

Beth, I actually live in Tucson! I have been in Tucson since about August 2009. I am going to school at U of A (1 more year till I am DONE FOREVER!!!) I was JUST in Tucson this morning, but now am in California for a bit (as mentioned earlier).

Maybe sometime, if you are comfortable with it, we could meet up and grab some tea/coffee and discuss some great Amish fiction. :)

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Just wanted to say that I'm glad everyone is okay! I'd been wondering if any of our members had been affected by the tornadoes, so I'm glad God looked after those of you who were in the affected areas :) We had some crazy weather over here, too. Nothing as bad as the tornadoes, but we had some ridiculously high winds that knocked out the power in rural areas, shut a lot of bridges and knocked over a lot of trees. Amazingly, the worst we had was a couple of flickering lights and a couple of plants got knocked over, although I know that my pastor's family lost all their power and their garden fence to the weather! It was strange to hear everyone complaining about the wind wrecking their gardens, and then to look online and see the devastation that was happening over the pond - definitely a reality check.

Camille, have fun at your mom's wedding! Right now I'm hoping the weather improves so that I can sit in the garden and read for the few days before I start my summer job. We had amazing weather on Thursday and Friday - 25C/77F - but now it's gone back to around 11C/51F - which is far too cold to sit out without a jumper. But June is always a temperamental month for weather in Scotland, still trying to decide whether it wants to be summer or not!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Urgh, I don't know how I'd manage with that heat! LOL. The warmest I've ever experienced was 30/86 when I was in Germany, and I had to sit in the shade the whole time. 77 is nice weather - enough to need to wear sunblock and strip down to shorts, but not so hot you feel ill. Sadly today it's cloudy and only 14/57, but I'm hoping the sun decides to peek his head out of the clouds at some point...

message 36: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (bluestocking86) | 60 comments It's been really hot and humid here. Except for today. Temps dropped and it is cold and rainy. But thinking about how our amish friends dress....how do they were those dresses in the summer?

message 37: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
It's hot here too in the 90's and my car does not have an air conditioner and I'm dying!!!!

message 38: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I'll take mid-90s! Tucson has been 100+ (YIKES!!!) ;)

message 39: by Barbara (new)

The weather says it's supposed to go to 97 here tomorrow afternoon, but it'll feel like 105! No fun in Richmond tomorrow.

message 40: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 239 comments Jodie wrote: "I thought that same thought the other day. How did those ladies wear such big dresses back in the day? The Amish I'm sure get hot, but at least their dresses aren't like what the ladies centuries a..."

I, too, have often wondered how the Amish women can work in those dresses, especially when the weather is hot. I guess when one is reared that way as they are, they don't think anything about it.

message 41: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Well, we got my mom happily married! Now I have a couple of long days of driving to get back into Tucson. Here's hoping I can read a lot during the car rides!

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Just so everyone knows, I started my summer job this week and I'm currently doing 9-5 intensive training but because of my commute this works out that I'm out of the house between 7am and 7pm all day during the week so by the time I've got in and eaten dinner I'm generally ready to go to bed :P So I will makes sure everything goes smoothly for our monthly chats and choosing next month's books but I'll probably only really be active at weekends for the next couple of weeks. Don't worry if you don't see me around! If you've sent me a message about something, I'll endeavour to respond to it by Saturday night :) And Diane is still here, as always.

message 43: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Yuck, those are some l-o-n-g days!!!

I'll do my best to keep these ladies under control in your absence! LOL! :)

message 44: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (bluestocking86) | 60 comments Oh My, those are long hours. Take care. We will try to stay out of trouble till your return.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Thanks! Once the training is over I'll only be working 9am - 1pm so it'll ease up in a couple of weeks. So I'll only be out of the house between 7am and 3pm maximum! I get plenty of reading done on the bus, thankfully :)

I trust that you will all behave in my temporary absence. Don't give Diane too much trouble! :D

message 46: by James (new)

James Schwartz (queeraspoetry) | 7 comments My book THE LITERARY PARTY e-book is here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 47: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Wow, 181 members of our group! Boy are we growing!!!

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Guys, we just hit 250 members! Congrats! :)

message 49: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Gooooooo us!!!!

message 50: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Leap Year's Day is my favorite holiday... Though technically it's not really a holiday...

So, as I sit her exhausted I wonder if anyone else celebrated Leap Year's Day the way I did. I was really lucky and got to go to Disneyland for their 24 hour day. We got to the park before 6am and left after 6am the next day! It was so fun, but oh my gosh, it was so crowded at night!! I had no idea it would be that popular!

Anyone else go to Disneyland or Disney World or have another fun way to celebrate Leap Year's Day??

« previous 1 3