The 104 Book Challenge - 2011 discussion

Kristin's 2011 Entertainment

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Here's my list...

1. Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell 1/1/11 3/5 STARS.

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 2. Night Star by Alyson Noel 1/2/11 4/5 STARS.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments How would you compare Night Star to the rest of the series? I'm waiting to get it from the library. The last couple books I really wanted to shake Ever so I'm hoping she has wisened up!

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Hi Nikki! I almost skipped this one for the very same reason. The last few have been *eh* and Ever was annoying! I was pleasantly surprised with Night Star though. It moves quickly and Ever actually has some personal growth. She is much more likable in this book. I felt like the author really fixed all of the "issues" of the past few books. I'm looking forward to the last book of the series later this year. :)

BTW, my libraries don't have it yet so I bought it for my NOOK. Do you have a NOOK? If so, I can lend it to you.

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 3. STIFF: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach 1/5/11 4/5 STARS.

message 6: by Mikela (last edited Jan 05, 2011 08:34PM) (new)

Mikela lol - I can see that I have very different taste in books than others in this group.

message 7: by Mikela (last edited Jan 05, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Mikela Sorry, that I didn't reference that comment Kristin. I gave Stiff only 2 stars. Only goes to show how people react to some books very differently. Didn't like Room either yet it won Best Fiction. Wonder what I'm missing!!

message 8: by Corrine (new)

Corrine | 47 comments The cadaver book sounds pretty interesting.

message 9: by Mikela (new)

Mikela There are interesting parts in it and you do learn some things that you probably wouldn't learn in your day to day life.

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments STIFF definitely isn't for everyone. :) I'm in the medical field and love everything forensic-y. So I loved it. ROOM too, although that was a different topic. I will admit however, that I absolutely HATED Catcher in the Rye, so... I know I'm on my own there! :) Corrine, I just read the Body Farm series by Jefferson Bass and really enjoyed them too! They're fiction but in the same forensic/mystery type vein. :)

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 4. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. 1/6/11 audiobook. 4.5/5 STARS. I love her writing style, though the book was slow at times. Looking forward to the next 2 in the series.

message 12: by Corrine (new)

Corrine | 47 comments I am exited to start A Great and Terrible Beauty for the first time next week. My sister said it was very good.

message 13: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 5. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman. 1/7/11 audiobook. 5/5 STARS

I really really loved this story!!

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Corrine- let me know what you think of it. I'm waiting for the 2nd and 3rd ones from the library.

message 15: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 6. My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler. 1/8/11. 4/5 STARS.

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments Kristin wrote: "Hi Nikki! I almost skipped this one for the very same reason. The last few have been *eh* and Ever was annoying! I was pleasantly surprised with Night Star though. It moves quickly and Ever actuall..."

I'm so happy to hear that Ever does some growing! I do have a nook but I just checked and the audio book for it will be available for me to pick up next week at my library. So I wil l have it soon though. Thank you so much for the offer!

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments Kristin wrote: "5. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman. 1/7/11 audiobook. 5/5 STARS

I really really loved this story!!"

Loved this book too! Can't wait for the next one Where She Went. I've also read A Great and Terrible Beauty. It's interesting to see what other people think.

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments No problem! Maybe we could lend each other Nookbooks in the future. :) Let me know what you think of Night Star. I expected it to be horrible, but I really liked it.

I'm also looking forward to Where She Went! Have you read the 2nd and 3rd Gemma Doyle books? I'm on the wait list for the audiobooks at the library.

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments I really enjoyed the narrater of the Gemma Doyle series, I think she's great. I have listened to the 2nd and currently have the 3rd. The 3rd is REALLY long. So I will try to listen to it at work. I do a lot of audio books. Yes we could definitly lend books in the future. I just got my nook for christmas so I'm still figuring it out and have only bought one book. It's a Black Dagger Brotherhood novella. Do you have the black and white nook or the color one?

message 20: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments I loved the narrator too! I have a long commute to and from school, so I listen to a lot of audiobooks as well, but I love reading on my NOOK when I have time. It's the old version, even though I just got it in Sept. :) Which do you have? Not all books are lendable, but some are. I joined this library ($15/year if you don't live in Philidelphia, which I don't) and they have tons of audio and ebooks! http://www.freelibrary.org/

message 21: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 7. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. 1/11/11 5/5 STARS.

Loved this book and can't wait to read the next one. :)

message 22: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 8. Don't Blink by James Patterson. 1/13/11 audiobook. 4/5 STARS.

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 84 comments Kristin wrote: "I loved the narrator too! I have a long commute to and from school, so I listen to a lot of audiobooks as well, but I love reading on my NOOK when I have time. It's the old version, even though I j..."

I don't have the nook color they told but I have the one with 3G if that helps. It's the black and white screen but they said if you are going to read books they reommended that over the nook color. I'm slowly working on my collection!

message 24: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 9. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. 1/14/11. 5/5 STARS.

I love this series!!!!

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Nikki, we have the same one, except mine is wifi only instead of 3G. I looked at the Nook Color, and while they are cool, they seem like a mini ipad to me. I only want my NOOK for reading, so I think the b&w version is perfect! :) Check out the online library I posted a link to above- they have a ton of great books- ebooks and audio!

message 26: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 10. Dark Lover by J. R. Ward. 1/19/11 audiobook. 4/5 STARS.

message 27: by Kristin (last edited Mar 01, 2011 04:34PM) (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 11. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. 1/20/11. 5/5 STARS.

LOVE this series!! Can't wait for the next one!!

message 28: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments Kristin wrote: "11. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. 5/5 STARS.

LOVE this series!! Can't wait for the next one!!"

I just finished City of Glass a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely agree with you. Can't wait for City of Fallen Angels! I just got Clockwork Angel in the mail a couple of days ago, so I'll probably read that soon. :-)

message 29: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 12. Linger by Maggie Steifvater. 1/26/11 audiobook. 5/5 STARS.

She is such an incredible writer- I absolutely can't wait for book #3 to come out in July! :)

message 30: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Marie- Clockwork Angel is on my list too! Have you read it yet? If so, what did you think?

message 31: by Corrine (new)

Corrine | 47 comments I loved Shiver and Linger! I thought they were very well written and the characters were refreshing. People kept saying it was like Twilight "Team Jacob", but I didn't really see any similarities besides the wolves. I also can't wait the next book!

message 32: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Yes, they are so well written! I love Twilight too, but there's no comparison. Her (Steifvater's) words are like poetry.

Forever comes out in July of this year!!! :)

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I can't wait!! I love her books.

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber (memyshelfandi) | 69 comments I love Maggie! She's amazing in person too! So funny and grounded! Her books are amazing!!!

message 35: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 13. A$$holes Finish First by Tucker Max. 1/27/11. 3.5/5 STARS.

Definitely not for the easily offended. :) I liked this book, but his first one was better.

message 36: by Marie (new)

Marie Ivarsson (MarieIvarsson) | 30 comments Kristin wrote: "Marie- Clockwork Angel is on my list too! Have you read it yet? If so, what did you think?"

I haven't gotten to Clockwork Angel yet. There are so many books I want to read, I don't know where to start! :-)

One of the books waiting to be read, is Linger. I read Shiver and really loved that. And I love that you describe Maggie's writing as poetry, because that's what I always say. There is a very special feeling you get when you read her books. I don't know how to describe it. They're slow and quiet, but so beautiful.

message 37: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments I agree Marie! Both with your thoughts on Maggie and on having too many books to read! :) I am about halfway through Clockwork Angel and I like it.

message 38: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 14. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray. 2/10/11 audiobook. 5/5 STARS.

I am really enjoying this series! The Sweet Far Thing is next up on the ipod. Now that school has begun in earnest I have very little time to read :( but I'm still thinking I can make 104 by Dec 31st, esp since audiobooks count. :)

message 39: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 15. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. 2/15/11. 4/5 STARS.

I enjoyed it but I think I like the MI series better. :)

message 40: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 16. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray. 2/17/11 audiobook. 5/5 STARS.

This was a great trilogy and I really enjoyed living in the world she created. :) Sad that it's over!

message 41: by Corrine (new)

Corrine | 47 comments I am currently reading The Sweet Far Thing. It's taking me forever and I'm not sure why. Although, after all the hype from my sister I think I'm a little disappointed.

message 42: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments It is a REALLY long book, and can be a bit slow at times. There is a lot going on. Overall I did enjoy it a lot, and it was worth the read. Let me know what you think when you finish it!

message 43: by Corrine (new)

Corrine | 47 comments Well, I finshed The Sweet Far Thing. I do like how everything was wrapped up. However, this wasn't my favorite in the series. I think I liked Rebel Angels best. Good series though and I'm glad I read it.

message 44: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 17. Packing For Mars by Mary Roach. 2/24/11 audiobook. 4/5 STARS.

Pretty interesting nonfiction about the space program.

message 45: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Corrine, I think Rebel Angels was probably my favorite in the series too. I just love how Libba Bray writes. I wish she'd write another book in the series, although then it wouldn't be a trilogy. :)

message 46: by Corrine (new)

Corrine | 47 comments Have you read Going Bovine yet? I read that one some time last year and I really enjoyed it.

message 47: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments Yes! I read that first and liked her style so much I read the trilogy. I'm excited to read her new book Beauty Queens, out soon. :)

message 48: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 18. Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. 2/26/11. 3.5/5 STARS.

message 49: by Kristin (last edited Feb 28, 2011 04:32PM) (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 19. The Bone Thief by Jefferson Bass. 2/28/11. 4.5/5 STARS.

message 50: by Kristin (last edited Mar 01, 2011 04:33PM) (new)

Kristin | 134 comments 20. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. 3/1/11 audiobook. 4/5 STARS.

« previous 1 3