Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Best HF you read in 2010?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ToniS (new)

ToniS Now that the year is over, what was the best historical fiction you read in 2010?

I would say mine was Katherine, which we read as a group read in April or May or thereabouts.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 319 comments I think the best HF I read this year was Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly and The Lady and the Poet by Maeve Haran. Both VERY good stories!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 35 comments My favorite HF this year was Sunflowers

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments I had a few favorites for 2010:
Mistress of Rome
The Help
Shogun
The Feast of Roses- re-read but always a fav
The Heretic Queen

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 15 comments Embers surprised me with it's subtlety.
The Red Tent - loved the characters!

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 94 comments Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin was the best HF I read in 2010 and one of the best books I read in 2010.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) Although I know a lot of people didn't like it, I really loved The Other Boleyn Girl.
I also loved Outlander. Those were I think the only HF I read this year, unfortunately, but I really liked them both.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 94 comments Oh man, how could I have forgotten Corrag by Susan Fletcher, too?!? It was an awesome story about the Glencoe Massacre of Scotland.

message 10: by Laura K (new)

Laura K | -24 comments Joseph wrote: "Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin was the best HF I read in 2010 and one of the best books I read in 2010."

Very good to know! I just bought this book and have it on my next reads pile. Looking forward to reading it soon.

message 11: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Moran (johannamoran) | 1 comments I just received an ARC of Melanie Benjamin's latest - MRS. TOM THUMB. Looking foward to it.

message 12: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 3 comments The Help for sure. It made me cry and made me hopeful. Plus, I read it right after rereading To Kill a Mockingbird, so it was doubly interesting.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments Nefertiti The Lady's Slipper and The Book Thief were my 3 favorite ones this year :)

message 14: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Shea | 3 comments The Help was the best - listened to the audio and it was truly incredible....although... the Book Thief (another audio - I really do actually read, too...) was great... Geez... Really? Just one? we really need to choice???

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments I did The Help on audio and it was really one of the best audios I listened too all year.

message 16: by Laura K (new)

Laura K | -24 comments I am going to have to go with The Historian. Though I read others that I enjoyed very much, none were quite like this book. I think this one will haunt me (in a good way) for a very long time, and I am certain that I will someday pick it up and read it again.

message 17: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 182 comments A Mercy by Toni Morrison and Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe. Both might be considered "literary" because they're not straightforward narratives. I read a lot of HF and liked most, but these two made me think.

message 18: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 56 comments Hands down To Kill a Mockingbird. It was my first time reading it and I LOVED it. I also really enjoyed Cutting for Stone, the Poisonwood Bible, and The Historian.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | -47 comments I really enjoyed The Help but somehow it seems too recent to be "historical". The book was definitely the best new book I read this year. I read another good one, Stone's Fall. It took a long time but I adore big, long, involving sagas. Stone's Fall definitely was that! I'll look forward to getting to his Instance with the Fingerpost.

message 21: by Terri (last edited Jan 05, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Terri For me, it absolutely has to be Matterhorn which I read in December.
If I had answered this question before I'd read Matterhorn, I'd probably have said The Whale Road and The Historian, and maybe a couple others.
But now that I have read Matterhorn, it has surpassed all others. It surprised me how good it was.

P.S I put in the ebook link for Matterhorn instead of the book because it has the better book description.

message 23: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 3 comments I really enjoyed A Mercy as well, and I don't generally love Morrison.

message 24: by Christy (new)

Christy I have to say my favorite HF was Outlander... I read the entire series this year and can't wait for the next book. Close second would be Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, an amazing book!

message 25: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) I forgot. The border trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. Definitely the best series I've ever read.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurasreviews) | 5 comments I read a lot of good historical fiction this year, but my two favorites were The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion

message 27: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) I read so many great books, but these stuck with me. The Winter Sea, Nefertiti, Courtesan, The Greatest Knight, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Queen's Fool

message 28: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) The terror by Dan Simmons was terrific as well

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (hidilley) I know this is kind of old news, but I finally read/finished The Pillars of the Earth and it was my fave HF of 2010.

message 30: by Tasha (new)

Tasha For me, my best HF in 2010 (no particular order except for maybe Matterhorn being an absolutely amazing read):

Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War, Mistress of Rome, The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar, The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar, Sashenka: A Novel, Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest, Child 44, Cleopatra's Daughter, The Kitchen
House
, and Juliet.

These were all 5 star reads for me.

Lori, Stone's Fall sounds good! I love getting list in good, long epics :).

message 31: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Oh, forgot one more...The True Story of Hansel and Gretel

message 32: by Martina (new)

Martina (bluemorwen) The best one I've read, in January 2010, is Q, by Luther Blissett.

Amazing writing style and amazing historical accuracy.

message 33: by Butterflycager (new)

Butterflycager | 151 comments My favorite that I read in 2010 was People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Rio wrote: "I read so many great books, but these stuck with me. The Winter Sea, Nefertiti, Courtesan, The Greatest Knight, [book:The Boleyn Inheritance|..."

The queen's fool is good! Hope the other boleyn girl will be too.

message 35: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Butterflycager wrote: "My favorite that I read in 2010 was People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks."

That one for sure would be in my top list too!

message 37: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | -7 comments My best of HF for 2010 in the order I read them were:

Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer
The Endless Forest by Sara Donati
To Defy a Kingby Elizabeth Chadwick
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

message 38: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | -7 comments Rio wrote: "I read so many great books, but these stuck with me. The Winter Sea, Nefertiti, Courtesan, The Greatest Knight, [book:The Boleyn Inheritance|..."

Love, love, love The Winter Sea!

message 39: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 182 comments A couple of people mentioned The Red Tent. I loved it when I read it a few years ago. I interviewed Anita Diamant way back when on how she marketed her book. The interview is available on my blog for anyone interested.

message 40: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Smith | 1 comments The Memoirs of Cleopatra, Emperor: the Gates of Rome. Loved it. I'm almost finished with Emperor: The Death of Kings and it is definitely one of my new favorites!

message 42: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) My favorite would be Prisoners in the Palace. It's a young adult novel so it's a bit fluffy, but I LOVED it. It's about Queen Victoria before she took the throne. And it even includes real diary entries from Queen V's diary. How's THAT for historical?!

message 43: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) de Bernieres's Captain Corelli's Mandolin was wonderful (and one of my absolute favourite books now xD). C.S. Harris's St. Cyr mysteries were also fantastic =D

message 44: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bern51) Loved The Help, The Birth of Venus, The Bells, just to name a few

message 45: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bern51) Oh, In the Company of the Courtesan was also very good.

message 46: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 22 comments i also just adored corelli's mandolin. i also loved the island by victoria heslop. i just tried to link it here but the search could not find it. it is a wonderful novel about the island of spinalonga, a leper colony in greece during wwii. i did not expect to love it but it was just marvellous!

message 47: by Laura K (new)

Laura K | -24 comments It's been a few years since I read Corelli's Mandolin; I do remember really liking it. I believe there was a movie too?
The Island was a book I randomly picked up and loved. Not sure how I found THE ISLAND link, but here it is.

message 48: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 22 comments thank you! i also randomly picked it up and just loved it.

there was a movie with john hurt (who was genius as the father) and penelope cruz and nicholas cage. john hurt's voice over is straight from the book and he delivers it beautifully.

message 49: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Laura K wrote: "It's been a few years since I read Corelli's Mandolin; I do remember really liking it. I believe there was a movie too?
The Island was a book I randomly picked up and loved. Not sur..."

I love te movie they made of Corelli's Mandolin. Watche dit more than once. Also the soundtrack is very good.

message 50: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (msjones) | 46 comments I am so late getting into this discussion! Forgive me, please -- I'm writing what I hope will be an HF favorite for 2012. But I loved Wolf Hall! A favorite book of all time for me.

« previous 1