Reading with Tequila Book Club discussion

Book/Movie Discussions > Graceling: General Discussion *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) This is the place to discuss the book while revealing any spoilers you'd like to talk about.

If you'd like to discuss a specific topic relating to the book, please feel free to start a new thread. Remember to mark it as a SPOILER discussion.

message 2: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 16 comments I've got this one on audio and am kind of itching to get started on it as soon as I finish my current read. It just has such a cool premise.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I had actually tried to read this book for the first time about a year ago and was bored after about 50 pages and took it back to the library.

Round 2 came when another group of mine used it as a monthly reading challenge not too long ago. My second attempt on the book took me by surprise when I found myself really enjoying the book once I got past a slightly slow starting section 1. When Katsa finally left behind everything to take off with Po on a mission, is when the book really picked up for me.

I fell in love with Po (his attitude was amusing to me) and a tagalong child princess named Bitterblue.

The last 2/3 of the book was fascinating and I'm glad that I gave it a second chance. Book 2 is called Fire, but it's sort of a prequel/companion and I haven't read it yet. Book 3 will revisit Bitterblue from Graceling, and Katsa and Po are supposed to make a small cameo appearance.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) I really enjoyed Graceling, but mostly because of Katsa and Po. I've had Fire on my shelf for a while, but since I'm not usually a fan of higher fantasy or prequels I haven't managed to get motivated enough to read it.

message 5: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Davis (goodreadscomstacie_davis) | 1 comments The love story of Kasta and Po really draws you in. Enjoyed it! I really liked Fire but can't wait for Bitterblue.

message 6: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 16 comments I'm about halfway through and I have found the book a bit disapointing so far. For one thing, it's a bit melodramatic for my taste. Partly that's the recording (I'm listening to the audio book), which includes dramatic music at select points and is a full cast production which it really doesn't need to be (I think it would actually work better with just one narrator, since as it is the dialogue sounds really odd at times, as if the various actors were just given a list of lines to read without the rest of the script for context so the inflections in their voices are wrong a lot of the time) but it's also Katsa's endless angsty teenager whinging about Po.

Another issue I have with it is the setting. I know it's a young adult book, but it's also supposed to be a fantasy novel and their is hardly any world building at all. There is almost no detail given about the cultures or geography of the place. The author's just gone with a generic faux mediaeval Europe and left it at that. Boring! In a fantasy setting I want to hear about imaginary social structures, customs, legends told by the people of the world etc.

I do like the premise though. I think the idea of certain people having graces which can take so many different forms and are not well understood and mistrusted by the average person is pretty cool. I especially like Po's grace, and that of the King they are about to go and investigate.

Maybe the book will grow on me as I go on.

Don't get me wrong, it's good in parts, just not as good as I hoped.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Even though I grew to like Graceling, I personally think that Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder is a better read for a YA fantasy. Both books have some common points with strong heroines and assassin type heroes, but I liked Yelena's story better and the poison tasting twist was kind of interesting.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (librarygirlreads) While I enjoyed Graceling, I didn't love it by any means. I think the characters were the best part. I was more interested in their internal emotional struggles and the relationships between them rather than the actual plot line of the quest part of the story. That only got interesting for me once they met Bitterblue.

I completely agree about the lack of world building, although I hadn't realized that was an issue for me until I read that comment. I just knew that it felt like something was lacking and I wasn't really interested in what was happening beyond the personal issues of the main characters.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) Angela wrote: "While I enjoyed Graceling, I didn't love it by any means. I think the characters were the best part. I was more interested in their internal emotional struggles and the relationships between them..."

It was the same with me. That's why I'm so wary of starting Fire. It wasn't the world I loved, but Katsa and Po. I'm not sure I'll like a prequel of the world without them.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I doubt I'll read Fire. I "might" get around to reading Bitterblue because at least we'll get to see some of the same characters. Even if I do, I'm not chomping at the bit for it.

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (The Wolf's Den) (thewolfsden) | 12 comments I'd agree that some things in Graceling were lacking (world-building especially), but can I just say that Fire more than made up for it. It takes place in a different land (cut off from the other by a huge mountain rage) and has different characters, but everything about it is (in my humble opinion) sooo much stronger. If you thought Graceling was just okay but could use some improvement, I'd definitely pick up Fire for an amazing world, story, and cast.