Jewish Teens discussion

controversial topics > Can you be a Jewish Atheist?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

You wish You knew (luv2write) | 34 comments Mod
What do you think?

I think you can be.

message 2: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 22 comments My parents agree with you...they say Judaism isn't a religion, it's a culture and a bit of an ethnicity (I mean, there are stereotypical Jewish facial features and stuff...but people convert in and such, so it's not really all that ethnic-based :/). The culture includes a religion, but it's not just about it....

I think that in the modern world, being Jewish is mostly about the religion, but I don't care if some atheist wants to call themselves Jewish....

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 9 comments if you define yourself as an atheist you are essentially denying jewish history, from all time periods. our indestructability is almost proof of gods existience. (atheism in general is irrational, but that's a different issue.)

message 4: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 22 comments That's completely untrue. I'm an atheist and I realize the Jews are a very ancient race with a very important culture and history, but it has nothing to do with a God that we survived all the persecution.

message 5: by Toby (new)

Toby Press | 1 comments Ze'ev Maghen answers this question in a very interesting and entertaining way in his book John Lennon and the Jews. You should check it out. John Lennon and the Jews
There's also going to be a giveaway starting soon for it!