Art Lovers discussion

Picture of the Day > January 2011 Favorite Pictures

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments

André Derain (10 June 1880 – 8 September 1954) was a French artist, painter, sculptor and co-founder of Fauvism with Henri Matisse

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments One my favorite works by Derain --
[image error]
London Bridge, 1906, oi on canvas, MoMA

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Illustrator Rama Hughes –
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]

http://ramahughes.com/portfolio.html

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments [image error]
Kitagawa Utamaro (Japanese, 1753/54–1806)
New Year's Games, from the printed book Flowers of the Four Seasons (Shiki no hana)
Metropolitan Museum of Art

message 5: by AC (new)

AC | 151 comments Off to a great start, Heather. I'd never looked at Derain and have had trouble understanding Matisse -- but these pictures are magnificent! and give me a hook to hold on to.

message 6: by AC (last edited Jan 03, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

AC | 151 comments Heather wrote: "
Kitagawa Utamaro (Japanese, 1753/54–1806) Games

Games -
18th cen. Japan (Tokugawa Period) was known for its love of games and gambling, and is also famous for its great traders. In fact, the type of charting known as candlesticks (e.g.: http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx...) was developed by 18th cen. rice traders in Osaka, and is commonly ascribed to Sakata (Munehisa Homma). Very few people use the old Dow scratch marks today (the sort you still see in newspapers).

Here's 'THE' book on candlesticks, which includes an interesting historical section:
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Candle...

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Nice pics everyone! Love the New Years Games. Gonna talk to my Japanese friend about them. Thank you!

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments That's a good idea, Monica. I would like to know what your Japanese friend says about them!

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Good thing I read this again! We talked this morning and I forgot all about this!!

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments There is a New Years game with cards and poetry. Someone reads the first stanza of a poem and the players have to guess the next stanza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karuta
When I get more I'll let you know.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments That's really cool to know, Monica! Thanks for sharing!

message 12: by Monica (last edited Jan 08, 2011 10:06AM) (new)

Monica | 909 comments Found it! Here we go... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyakunin...
from wiki
description
Ogura Hyakunin Isshu

"The most famous hyakunin isshu, often referred to as "the" Hyakunin Isshu because no other one compares to its notability, is the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu, compiled by Fujiwara no Teika (or Sadaie, 1162 – 1241) while he lived in the Ogura district of Kyoto, Japan.

One of Teika's diaries, the Meigetsuki, says that his son, Fujiwara no Tame'ie, asked him to arrange one hundred poems for Tame'ie's father-in-law, who was furnishing a residence near Mount Ogura; hence the full name of "Ogura Hyakunin Isshu". In order to decorate screens of the residence, Fujiwara no Teika produced the calligraphy poem sheets.

In his own lifetime, Teika was well known for other work. For example, in 1200 (Shōji 2), Teika prepared another anthology of one hundred poems for ex-Emperor Go-Toba. This was called the Shōji Hyakushu.

The Ogura Hyakunin Isshu has been translated into many languages and into English many times, beginning with Yone Noguchi's "Hyaku Nin Isshu in English" in 1907. Other translators include William N. Porter, A Hundred Verses from Old Japan (1909), Clay MacCauley, Hyakunin-isshu (Single Songs of a Hundred Poets) (1917), Kenneth Rexroth, One Hundred Poems from the Japanese (1955), Tom Galt, The Little Treasury of One Hundred People, One Poem Each (1982), Joshua S. Mostow, Pictures of the Heart: The Hyakunin Isshu in Word and Image (1996), Peter McMillan, One Hundred Poets, One Poem Each (2008), and Emiko Miyashita and Michael Dylan Welch, 100 Poets: Passions of the Imperial Court (2008)."

I prefer the Utamaro artwork. I didn't remember if there were cards in the illustration. When I asked about New Years games my Japanese friends asked if there were cards in the image. It's a long standing tradition which is still being practiced in some areas. One man thought it wasn't being done anymore but he's been living in the States for 40 years and two women slightly younger said it's still being done in school and I think at home.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Are there cards in the picture? I can't tell, but I don't see any...

That is very interesting, Monica. Thanks for asking your friends! I, too, prefer the Utamaro artwork.

The fact that not all of them know if the New Years Games are still being done is telling. To me it seems that it may be an older tradition...do we know if the people who actually do them are of the older generation?

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments No this is done currently.

message 15: by Monica (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Monica | 909 comments I found a few translations by Michael Dylan Welch and Emiko Miyashita on GRACEGUTS

a temporary lookout hut
by the ripening rice fields
has a rough rush-thatched roof—
my sleeves are kept
wet with the dews

spring is over
and summer must have come—
on heavenly Mount Kagu,
pure white clothes
are said to be drying Empress Jitō

on a rugged mountain peak
a copper pheasant falls asleep
drooping its lengthy tail—
must I too sleep alone
through this long long night?

as I come out and look up
from the coast of Tagonoura,
the pure white snow keeps falling
on the lofty peak
of Mount Fuji

deep in the mountains
stepping though the fallen crimson leaves
a deer cries for his mate—
when I hear the voice
autumn melancholy deepens

You can get it as an app i iTunes

http://sites.google.com/site/gracegut...

Who knew?

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Received "mega" snow last night! Looks like photo below --

Stieglitz, Untitled (Winter Landscape, Lake George, New York), 1923, Photograph -gelatin silver print

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments [image error]
Utamaro Kitagawa was a Japanese artist who is highly appreciated as the leading ukiyo-e artist of the late 18th century. He was born around 1750 and died around 1806. Little else is known about his life or parents. His work, however, had a major impact. It is estimated that he had over 2,000 prints. Beautiful women were a favorite subject of his. However, Utamaro’s women are by no means natural. The forms were idealized and made to look unnaturally beautiful. This may have helped his prints to achieve the success that they did.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments John Armleder at Kunstmuseum St. Gallen
[image error]

John Armleder (born in Geneva in 1948) is a Swiss performance artist, painter, sculptor, critic, and curator. His work is based on his involvement with Fluxus in the 1960s and 1970s, when he created performance art pieces, installations and collective art activities.

http://www.contemporaryartdaily.com/2...

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Thanks so much Carol and Heather.
Love you all.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Sara Garden Armstrong
[image error]
[image error]
Airplayer X, 1988
Room-sized kinetic sound sculpture utilizing computerized control units for movement and sound compositions. Large sprayed pulp forms are linked to the air blower boxes with flexible plastic tubing, from which digitally synthesized blower sounds are generated along with the mechanical blower sounds to simulate a breathing mechanism.

Armstrong creates sculptures, paintings, drawings from miniature to wall size, artist's books, multimedia artworks involving computers sound and light, and constructs permanent installations in atrium spaces.

Armstrong received her Master of Fine Arts from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and her Master of Art Education from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Armstrong also studied art at New York University and with the University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario in Yeovil, England while attending UAB. An educator for several years at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, she moved to New York City in 1981.

Armstrong's early period with the exploration of sound had exhibitions at the Visual Arts Gallery at UAB and the Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, Alabama. Her first exhibition in New York City was at PS1 in 1982, “'the Sound Corridor'” curated by William Hellermen. This installation began her multimedia series of work entitled “'Airplayer'” which ended in 1992 at the CB’s 313 Gallery and Bar (next door to CBGB) on the Bowery with "'Airplayer XIV'" - both installations utilized mechanisms for movement and sound.

[image error]
detail

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Monica wrote: "I found a few translations by Emiko Miyashita and Jane Hirshfield on GRACEGUTS..."

These translations are by Emiko Miyashita and Michael Dylan Welch (that is, me), and are from our art book, 100 Poets: Passions of the Imperial Court, published in 2008 by PIE Books in Tokyo. Jane Hirshfield had nothing at all to do with these translations. There's merely a picture of Jane Hirshfield on the page you linked to, taken when Emiko met with Jane and gave her a copy of the book. Our book has translations of all 100 waka from the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu. Again, Jane is not the cotranslator of these poems.

Michael Dylan Welch
www.graceguts.com

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Hi Michael! Thanks for clearing that up. And Welcome to the Group!

message 23: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Thank you for correcting my post, Michael. I mis-read the caption at the bottom of this http://sites.google.com/site/graceguts/t...
page and have corrected post #15.

Do you know if these poems are used in the Japanese New Years games my friend described? The translations only have one stanza. Do they read a few lines then complete the stanza?

It would be a game I'd like to play, in translation, of course!

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I looked up some more Japanese art, now I'm fascinated!

Seven Gods of Good Fortune and Chinese Children, Edo period (1615–1868), 17th–18th century
Kano Chikanobu (Japanese, 1660–1728)
Six-panel folding screen; ink and color on paper; reverse side: ink, color, and gold on paper

Source: Kano Chikanobu: Seven Gods of Good Fortune and Chinese Children (29.100.498) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Seven Deities of Good Fortune (Shichifuku-jin) and Chinese children are auspicious symbols of wealth and abundance. This screen illustrates, from right to left, three of the seven deities: Daikokuten, Hotei, and Ebisu. Another screen, originally paired with this one but now missing, must have included the remaining four deities: Bishamonten, Jurojin, Benzaiten, and Fukurokuju.

Daikokuten (Mahakala in Sanskrit), holding a wine cup and wearing his distinctive hood, is here depicted in a relaxed pose, though in other manifestations he is a ferocious protector of Buddhist Law. Combining his Buddhist role with that of an indigenous Japanese god, Daikokuten became one of the most popular gods of good fortune. Here he is accompanied by his attributes, including the sack with a mallet and a rice bale.

Ebisu, holding a large red snapper under his left arm, is the only deity of entirely native origin. He was originally a god of fisherman and, later, merchants hoping for success in trade. Since the sixteenth century, both Daikokuten and Ebisu have been widely worshipped as gods of wealth and prosperity and as household deities.

Hotei (Budai in Chinese), exposing his rotund belly and talking to Daikokuten, is a legendary Chinese eccentric monk of the tenth century, said to be an incarnation of Miroku (Maitreya in Sanskrit), the Buddha of the Future. His distinctive features, joyful smile, and large sack make him a representative member of the seven deities of good fortune. Because of his carefree nature, he is closely associated with children; he delights in playing with them.

In this composition, Chinese children play under the kindly eye of the Deities of Good Fortune. They pull a carriage abundant with flowers, gallop on hobby horses, and engage in a game of tag. The happy-go-lucky spirit of this painting is intended to evoke joy and bliss.

Kano Chikanobu, head of the Kobikicho branch of the Kano school, served the shogunate in Edo. In this most propitious painting, he displays what he learned from the discipline of the Kano academy, the elegant fusion of ink and vivid colors with versatile brushwork. Chikanobu's signature and seals appear on the reverse of the screen.

Source: Kano Chikanobu: Seven Gods of Good Fortune and Chinese Children (29.100.498) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

message 25: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments So wonderful Heather. I'll read this more carefully when I'm not packing to run out of town. My big news is my friend is giving a couple of concerts next summer in Japan AND I'LL BE GOING for 10 days touring around the country with her!!! If anyone is interested check out www.macksisters.com

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments That's awesome, Monica! Have you been to Japan before? What an experience!

message 27: by Monica (last edited Jan 18, 2011 08:14AM) (new)

Monica | 909 comments No, I've never been to Japan! It's so exciting!!! Several of my Japanese friends are lay Buddhists. They don't have images of Buddhas and other deities in their community centers or homes.

As with most religions, ritual and deities have gotten in the way of the true essence of Buddhism. Corruption and ritual got the better of Buddhism just like many other organizations. You could not achieve buddhahood without a priest or money!

There are many sects but the one I'm involved with follows the teachings of 13th Century Nichren Daishonin.

During WWII 21 educators were jailed for not supporting Shinto religion and emperor worship. The thought police followed them around. Of those jailed, most gave in, but two held to their belief that EVERYONE can achieve buddhahood. One educator died in prison and his mentor Josei Toda worked to expand Nichren's teachings to many households after the war.

Nichren focused on 2 chapters of the Lotus Sutra. In life and with this practice, there is one goal- to work for peace and the happiness of all living beings. Now the organization is in 190 countries and 13 million people worldwide. I have such a rich and diverse group of friends now from Nigeria to Bolivia and Argentina to Japan...we all are a big happy family facing the same fundamental darkness and turning it into LIGHT!

I'm gonna start reading up on Japan now. If anyone can suggest a good history please do post your suggestions.

message 28: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments I can't think of any books to recommend, Monica, but you might pose your question over on CR. I'll bet you'd get some suggestions there.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 147 comments Hey Monica
Do your friends need an old roadie who would work for art?

message 30: by John (new)

John David (nicholasofautrecourt) Monica, I warmly recommend Marius Jansen's "The Making of Modern Japan." He's a professor at Yale, so sometimes he can be a little overly thorough, especially if you're new to Japanese history, but it's well-written and insightful.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Filippino Lippi (Italian, Florentine, probably b. 1457–d. 1504). Madonna and Child, ca. 1485. Tempera, oil, and gold on wood; 32 x 23 1/2 in. (81.3 x 59.7 cm). The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, The Jules Bache Collection, 1949

In 1949 the Metropolitan Museum was bequeathed a masterpiece of Italian Renaissance painting. Painted around 1485 by the Florentine master Filippino Lippi, it shows the Madonna and Child seated in a domestic interior, with a view through a window onto a landscape with a river. It was commissioned by one of the wealthiest men in Florence, Filippo Strozzi, who had returned from his political exile with the intention of reasserting his family's prestige through the commissioning of great works of art. He built the largest and most magnificent palace in the city, had a chapel decorated with frescoes by Filippino Lippi, and commissioned a marble bust of himself by the sculptor Benedetto da Maiano. No expense was spared. In the case of the Madonna and Child, a work probably intended to decorate his villa, he must have instructed the artist to use the most expensive ultramarine blue available. The artist certainly produced a work of stunning richness and wonderful invention: the detailed still life and landscape view reflect his awareness of painting from north of the Alps. And he included a number of details that personalized it. The Strozzi crescents decorate the architecture and on the bridge in the background are two Africans fishing. Like other wealthy Florentines, Strozzi owned at least one African slave, whom he freed in his will.

Odd as it may seem to us today, many collectors in the nineteenth and early twentieth century did not like bright colors in their old master paintings, and visitors to the Metropolitan over the decades might be forgiven for having found Filippino's now ravishing painting rather tame and even a bit dull. You see, an intentionally tinted varnish had been applied to tone down its color and give it a somber gravitas. No one guessed what was hiding beneath that gloomy veneer until a test cleaning was performed this last fall. The result is a transformed work of art: a picture that miraculously combines richness of color with emotional tenderness; refined beauty with naturalistic observation.

Images of the painting before (left) and after (right) it was cleaned.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments It is amazing how bright the colors are after a cleaning (from oil paintings at the museum). But I never saw one on wood with tempera and gold cleaned. It must be brilliant to look at in person.

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments [image error]
Your Golden Hair, Margarete by Anselm Kiefer
Watercolor, gouache, and acrylic on paper

The title of this work comes from Death Fugue by the Romanian Jewish poet and World War II survivor Paul Celan (1920-1970). Widely read and anthologized in postwar Germany, Death Fugue is set in a concentration camp. Its narrative voice, in the first-person plural, is that of the Jewish inmates, who suffer under the camp's blue-eyed commandant. Singing "your golden hair, Margarete / your ashen hair, Shulamith," the narrators contrast German womanhood, as personified by Margarete, to whom the commandant addresses letters at night, and Jewish womanhood (Shulamith was King Solomon's dark-haired beloved in the Song of Songs). Here, as in most of Kiefer's more than thirty Margarete works, the German heroine is represented by only a symbol of her "golden hair"-sheaves of wheat in the countryside.
Signatures, Inscriptions, and MarkingsInscriptions: Inscribed from left to right in gouache: Dein goldenes Haar, Margarete

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Now that's depressing I was just listening to this!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IP9h4...

message 35: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Anselm Kiefer is one of the most powerful painters I know of. Most of his stuff is HUGE--thick paint with stuff like straw, lead, dirt, etc. added, sculptures of concrete and lead.

He was born in Germany in 1945, and his art often deals with the legacy of Nazism and Germany's heritage. His paintings often look like fields or buildings in the aftermath of war.

Over 20 years ago I went alone to the Museum of Contemporary Art in LA to see a show of his work. I was reduced to tears it was so moving.

This link will take you to the Google Image page, where you can scroll through pictures of lots of his art. It is not to be missed.

http://www.google.com/images?q=anselm...

message 36: by Lorie (new)

Lorie (lorie_mccown) | 57 comments Ruth- I saw that exhibit too! It has lasted with me to this day. He is one of my absolute favorites. In his dipiction, his techniques (he uses LEAD in some of his work) his sheer volume. I remember the work smelled as well. Dirt, ash, like a plowed field. So outstanding in every way. He needs to have a big retrospective here (US)! A little of him talking about his work..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtgYg...

message 37: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments I bought the catalog. LACMA has this one. I think it's my favorite of his sculptures.

A book with wings is so inspiring, then you look closer and see that it's all made of lead. Wow.

Do you live near LA, Lorie?

message 38: by Lorie (new)

Lorie (lorie_mccown) | 57 comments Ruth-I wish I had bought that catalog! I was a poor student at the time. I grew up in So.Cal and got my BA in art at CSULB, and MA at SDSU. I come back often to visit, but now VA. is my home. I thought the book with wings was so moving on so many levels.

message 39: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Small world. I got my BA at CSUSB and my MFA at Claremont.

message 40: by Lorie (new)

Lorie (lorie_mccown) | 57 comments Heather wrote: "
Kitagawa Utamaro (Japanese, 1753/54–1806)
New Year's Games, from the printed book Flowers of the Four Seasons (Shiki no hana)
Metropolitan Museum of Art"

How I love Japanese art. I can look at this all day long. So wonderful.