Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > Made in Dagenham

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D. (new)

D. Turner (frameofmind12) | 59 comments Congratulations. You applied for the job and got it. You work the same hours as your co-workers, performing the same tasks with the desired results. The difference is you are paid less because you are a woman.
Made in Dagenham is a slightly fictionalized account reminding us the fight for gender equality is not in the distant past.
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.act...

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10778 comments oh, right...sally hawkins is in this. i almost thought you were telemarketing there for a minute. i love hawkins, and will try to get out to see this soon.

message 3: by Sooz (new)

Sooz this is an easy movie to like. underdog fighting 'the man',corporate greed and gender inequality, AND a great bunch of characters with Sally Hawkins, Miranda Richardson and Bob Hoskins.

nothing outstanding in terms of innovation or skill, just a good old fashioned movie where you sit back and root for the good guys.

message 4: by D. (new)

D. Turner (frameofmind12) | 59 comments I agree. It is a good old fashioned underdog fighting "the man" movie. It's a quiet film with an outstanding cast.
The stand out about it is women would be so much further behind if they hadn't struck. 1968 was not, historically, that long ago and there's still a lot of "the man" to fight.

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

Phillip | 10778 comments i was listening to interviews the other day that were assessing the women's movement - what gains have been made since the 50's, and so on. it was pretty interesting. women of color still make something like .52 cents against every dollar that men earn. wow. in some cases it's higher. african american women make a little more than that, but i think, in general, they were saying that women make about .72 against the male earning dollar. when the women's movement started, all women made around .50 against the dollar. so it seems that white women have benefited most from the movement, with african american women a close second and hispanic women still struggling to make the kind of money women were making in the 1950's. this discussion took place between a few women in the south that have been active in the movement since the early 60's, and some younger women. in short, in the larger view of society, we still have a LONG way to go before women are earning equal pay to men.

on a personal note, i was working for an education based non-profit several years ago and was arguing that my assistant (a mexican woman) deserved a higher starting salary (when we hired her). the board of the non-profit argued that she was "making a lot of money for someone *like that*" - a single mother with two kids and not a lot of education (on paper). i argued that she was qualified to do the job and deserved to make what any other person out there would deserve, but i lost the arguement - she got hired, was glad to have a job with benefits, etc. but i still had to fight every year to get her the annual 3.5% cost of living raise. i was arguing on her behalf based on her job performance, which was outstanding. but i kept getting the line: "she's making more than other women in her position - and she's got her mother at home to handle childcare". wow - who are these people? and there were mostly WOMEN on the board making this argument.

in short, it's just insane how deep race plays into some of this discussion. here was a woman that was doing a great job and deserved to make decent money, but was refused by "progressive" non-profit due to her racial and social standing.

message 6: by D. (new)

D. Turner (frameofmind12) | 59 comments GOOD FOR YOU FOR FIGHTING FOR THAT WOMAN! If I could send you a medal of sorts I would.
The nerve of someone(s) deciding that because an employee presumably had child care they didn't need the salary. Somehow knowing it was women in charge makes it more odious.
I salute you.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10778 comments no medals necessary - but thanks