Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Welcome to January 2011

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! May 2011 be a year filled with health, happiness and lots of good books! Here are January's Books of the Month (and please stay tuned for some announcements at the end of this message!):

January Fantasy: Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
January SF: Air: Or, Have Not Have by Geoff Ryman

As always, I've set up a few starter topics, but please feel free to start more - and if anyone would like to volunteer to lead the discussion, please let me know.

We also have our schedule for the next few months:

February Fantasy: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
February SF: The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks

March Fantasy: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
March SF: Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward

... March's books teach us two important lessons:
1) a good book can become Book of the Month more than once (as The Name of the Wind was BotM back in 2008, before we moved to GoodReads) and...
2) it pays to re-nominate books (as Dragon's Egg was nominated several times before but didn't win until now!)

And now, for some important announcements!

1) I'm pleased to announce that, as of today, Candiss is going to help out as a moderator in the group! She's been doing a stellar job with the short story discussions, and I felt it would be better to have a second moderator in case I'm ever unable to manage the group for some reason. Thanks Candiss!

2) Speaking of the short story discussions, our next story is FLOWER, MERCY, NEEDLE, CHAIN by Yoon Ha Lee. You can find the discussion here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4... Please take a moment to read the story and join in! (This is especially meant for those of us who don't always have time to read an entire novel but maybe will be able to read a short story.)

3) Another ongoing feature is our discussion of the WARS OF LIGHT AND SHADOW series by Janny Wurts. We're currently in the final chapters of Grand Conspiracy, and next week we'll start with Peril's Gate (one of my personal favorites). All the discussion threads for previous books in the series are still open, and Janny is still monitoring them, so if you haven't joined us yet, it's not too late to pick up the first books in the series!

4) Related to this, we also have our sixth giveaway going! Please go vote in this poll for a chance to win a copy of Peril's Gate: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/42... (and we don't have a whole lot of entries yet, so you have a decent chance of winning!) The poll will close on Jan. 6th.

5) Finally... After giving this a considerable amount of thought, I've decided to stop setting up the scoring polls for our Books of the Month, which also means I'll stop updating the Hall of Fame as soon as the polls for our December books are closed. We're not getting a lot of votes in those polls, and as a result, the average scores aren't very meaningful. Originally, back on Yahoo Groups, those polls were our only way to "rate" a book, but here on GoodReads we have the 5 star system, so there's no real need for a separate poll anymore. I'll update the Hall of Fame until the final 2010 polls close and then, after a full decade, we'll engrave those titles on a nice big slab of marble and stick them on a mountain top somewhere to preserve them for posterity...

And that's it for now. Enjoy and... get reading!

Stefan

message 2: by Random (last edited Jan 01, 2011 03:41PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 528 comments Ack! Its January already? What the heck happened to 2010. I've been looking forward to Night Watch and I don't even have the book yet. Now to decide...ebook or audio.

Oh, and Yay Candiss!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Grand Conspiracy (other topics)
Night Watch (other topics)
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (other topics)
Peril's Gate (other topics)
The Player of Games (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janny Wurts (other topics)
Geoff Ryman (other topics)
Iain Banks (other topics)
Sergei Lukyanenko (other topics)
N.K. Jemisin (other topics)
More...