Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2011-1 NIGHTWATCH: initial impressions and roll-call *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're planning to read or currently reading Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, and any initial impressions.

No spoilers in this topic please!

message 2: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
No one so far? This is one of those books I've been planning to read for a long time, after a friend recommended them, but I just never got around to it.

message 3: by Candiss (last edited Jan 02, 2011 10:16AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Well, I read it a couple of years ago, and re-read it last year, and I loved it both times. I will definitely get involved in the discussion.

Lukyanenko is a very prolific author and is considered one of the top - if not the top - working SF/F author living today in Russia. (Yevgeny Zemyatin having passed on and the Strugatsky brothers - one of whom is still living - not really writing anymore) He has a great many books published not only in Russian but in many world languages - stand-alones, duologies, trilogies, tetrologies, and more - yet the only works published in English are the four Watch books and Spektrum, which is hard to find.

Edit to add: For clarification, Wikipedia has a bibliography for this author. Lukyanenko bibiography

I personally really feel this author should be more widely known in the West. He has a unique voice and is very productive (for lack of a more lyrical term.) He's good at both tense action and hairy philosophical mucking about, and he rarely uses cliche as a crutch. (Nor does he always focus on the "good guys", nor are the "good guys" always really the good guys. He's very nuanced, balanced, and unsentimental with his many shades of gray.) I really adore him and wish I could read more of his work.

Anyhow, I enjoyed Night Watch. Honestly, though, I liked other books in the series more. This one is good, but some of the subsequent stories and adventures of his characters really pick up steam later on.

message 4: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 877 comments I grabbed the audio version last night, stuck it on my player this morning, and should be able to start it by morning....I hope.

*I will finish Cryoburn, I will finish Cryoburn, I will finish Cryoburn*

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I love this book. There is so much going in the book as well as the series.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Waiting on my copy, and will definitely be reading it.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 221 comments Stefan wrote: "No one so far? This is one of those books I've been planning to read for a long time, after a friend recommended them, but I just never got around to it."

exactly the same here. been meaning to read it for ages, got hold of a copy a couple of months ago... but not sure i'll get the time. I will, i will!

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1359 comments Stefan wrote: "This is one of those books I've been planning to read for a long time, after a friend recommended them, but I just never got around to it."

Same here and its going to wait a bit longer. I picked it up when I went to see the movie many moons ago. One of those books that are still on the unread pile.

message 9: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments I wasn't planning on reading this one, but I just discovered that it was recently added to Audible, so it will be my next audio.

message 10: by Libby (new)

Libby | 19 comments Read it awhile back and loved it - very happy to see it as a selection for the group. I'll certainly participate in the discussion. May re-read via Audible - the audio version would be fun

message 11: by A.J. (new)

A.J. | 2 comments I remember hearing about this book (or maybe movie) when it first came out and being very intrigued by it. And then I forgot about it until I was browsing this group's page. I'm about 100 pages into it now and really enjoying it so far.

message 12: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments I read it and quite liked it. Put it one way I will eventually read the rest of the series.

message 13: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I am not, as I have two other series partially read. I need to get caught up with those before I start another book that heads a series. I did see the movie, though, so I might peak in on the discussions.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 221 comments I'm about a quarter of the way through, and will certainly finish it but I confess to being a bit underwhelmed. So far I'm finding the writing rather bland, although of course this may be an issue with the translation. The writing style seems very filmic, so this may be one of those rare cases of having seen the movie spoiling the book somewhat.

Perhaps I'll get more engrossed as I get further.

message 15: by Felina (new)

Felina I just started this one last night. So far I'm enjoying the story and I'm really taken with his story telling. There has been very little by way of info dumps and the author just starts talking about something and you're supposed to just get it. I like this type of writing as info dump heavy stories tend to lose me in the minutia. I agree that the writing is a bit lack luster and the story itself is what conjures the visuals and not the writing which I think is a reflection of the translation process. While I do enjoy beautiful prose I'm more in the mood for blunt and outright so I'm thinking this is a good story for me right now.