Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
This topic is about White Cat
Book Club Discussions > January 2011- White Cat by Holly Black

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Happy New Year, everyone!

For January's group read, we'll be discussing White Cat by Holly Black.

Please mark spoilers.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) This was one of my favorite reads of 2010. Such a unique concept, a protagonist's voice that resonates and great writing. Cannot wait to hear what others think :)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I loved the whole Tithe series but The Spiderwick Chronicles really didn't do it for me, so I have been really wanting to dive into this new series by Ms. Black.

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments Kellee said it all. Can't wait for book two.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Bill wrote: "Kellee said it all. Can't wait for book two."

I know right!!!
And I know ARCs are out and I probably wouldn't be below begging for one, but I listened to the audiobook narrated by Jesse Eisenberg and I just can't imagine not listneing to it.

Izzy I read this book last year and enjoyed it so much. I've only read The Spiderwick Chronicles before, and I remember liking them although that was back in elementary school, so I wasn't sure if I would like the book. I was definitely surprised when I started reading it. It can be hard to find books with such great male protagonists, especially by female authors.

Cheryl (cawils_99) I really liked this book. The plot was interesting and kept me guessing the whole time. I especially liked the main character (Cassel), he was such a typical teenage boy. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Mary  (Biblophile) I read this one towards the end of last year. It had a different theme than a lot of the teen books (i.e., vampire, were). It was well written and the main character had real depth. An enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next in the series.

Cassie I'm glad to see this has a lot of good reviews. I'm in the middle of it right now. Honestly, I was really enjoying it until around 70 pages in or so. But now that it has picked up, it's much more interesting!

Leigh (leighb) It's well written but I just can't seem to get into it.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Leigh wrote: "It's well written but I just can't seem to get into it."

How far into it are you?

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I do agree the book is well-written, although the first person present tense made me stop and think at some point -- which to me is a problem with any book. I also had trouble keeping track of some of the characters in the beginning of the book.

I'm not sure I really liked the pace of the book. The introduction felt very slow and the middle felt a bit tedious; yet the ending had a wonderful pace to it and made me keep reading non-stop.

I also don't feel I had a really good understanding of Cassel -- much less his friends. The character development just did not feel complete.

What do you all think?

Cassie *Correction: In my last post I meant that I wasn't enjoying it until 70 pages in*

I actually really liked this one. Once Cassel develops an actual mission I started to like the kid. I think my issue with him in the beginning was that he seemed like a self-centered whiny guy, who really didn't have much of a story to interest me. But learning how he has been treated by his family, it makes a lot of sense. He comes from a dysfunctional home and feels he must be completely guarded around anyone he comes in contact with. Not to mention, he feels as though he can't trust himself.

I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel!

Was anyone else pleasantly surprised by this book?

Karis Jacobstein (yalitwit) | 419 comments I had been putting off reading this book because it got a lot of awful reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was great. I loved the mysterious nature of the whole situation, and the way Black answered questions in such a believable way. I din't like the ending, mostly because I was rooting for Cassel, and would have liked to see him happy in the end. Of course, it's not really the end... I can't wait for book #2.

Paula Griffith (drgeewiz) | 5 comments I also noted I was having a hard time connecting to Cassel, but when I found out that someone HAD meddled with his memories, I think Holly Black achieved what she set out to do. It makes sense to me that someone who had an altered sense of reality would be more difficult to "read" (no pun intended). This plot is very complex, and I think the real "horror" is how Cassel's brothers treat him. I think the very end of the novel is really telling about how his family has affected his thinking, and possibly the only person who has a clue is his grandfather. I am looking forward to the sequel because I think this novel is intricate and demands a lot from the reader. It really did not have a happy ending. The ending is like the plot--highly affected by alterations that change the outcome...and keeps me reading, reading, reading!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 70 comments I got on here too late for this but have this book ordered from Amazon so will be reading it in the future.

Cassie Enjoy! Black has just released the first chapter of Red Glove online :)

Cassie Paula wrote: "I also noted I was having a hard time connecting to Cassel, but when I found out that someone HAD meddled with his memories, I think Holly Black achieved what she set out to do. It makes sense to m..."

Exactly! Everything you said was perfect. Have you read the first chapter of the sequel? I noticed that Holly Black posted it recently.

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Do you think Lila is alive, that Cassel really did kill her, or someone else killed her?

Leigh (leighb) Kellee wrote: "Leigh wrote: "It's well written but I just can't seem to get into it."

How far into it are you?"

I got through two chapters I think and gave it up. I might give it another go. I like Holly Black alot. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I also had trouble with the unreliable narrator in present tense. I got over it, because other elements of the story sucked me in, but it was an issue with me all the way through the book. At first he was unreliable because he was a self-confessed con artist and murderer. Then he was unreliable because his memories had been meddled with. It was hard for me to accept anything he was telling us, and I kept wanting to get inside some of the other characters' heads (like Lila). I think I'm sucked into the plot enough to want to read the sequel though.

message 22: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 183 comments I loved this book. IMO, it is the best Holly Black book yet. When the white cat in the dream says, "If you love me, you'll cut off my head," I realized that this story is a reference / modern retelling to an obscure fairy tale, which happened to be my favorite fairy tale as a kid.

If you like this book, check out the old fairy tale called "White Cat".

Anyway, I can't wait for the next book in this series. So far this has been the best YA read of 2011 for me.