"Fever" Water Cooler discussion

Let the 2011th Fever Readathon begin! - "Darkfever"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) So, finally we are immersing ourselves in the world of Fever? How is it going? Is better or worse 2nd time around?

message 2: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 01, 2011 03:43PM) (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) It is surprising that a woman like Mac, who talks about clothes, nails and hair so much, doesn't annoy the hell out of me. It takes skill to write such a character and make me like her.

message 3: by Megan (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:43AM) (new)

Megan | 27 comments I love it that she is so into clothes, hair & nails ~ UF women tend to be very anti-pretty girl. And pretty-girls tend to be stereotyped as being quite shallow. Mac has a lot of depth & knows fashion isn't the most important thing in the world, but loves it as her guilty pleasure anyway. Plus I think it helps that she isn't whiney about her fashion. I mean, if she chips a nail she gets pissed off, rather than sulks over it, you know?

So far, second time around is going well. I thought I would get annoyed by the beginning, but haven't been yet. Unfortunately I have to work quite a bit the next few days & won't get in as much reading time as I would like to :(

message 4: by AH (new)

AH I am enjoying the second time around as well. I understand why people don't like Mac, but I really like her, she has some guts and chutzpah.

I'll be taking a reading break now. Got to spend some time with the kids.

message 5: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy (katkennedy) | 113 comments Mod
Really enjoying it! I couldn't put the book down last night even though I already knew everything that was going to happen!

I do enjoy Mac's originality in the UF genre and I also think she has chutzpah (thanks for the word, AH) while still being realistic!

message 6: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I am almost done with it and enjoying it immensely. Can't wait to get some more Jericho though. He doesn't get nearly enough face time in the 1st book.

So, I already have a question, because, naturally, I don't remember anything from later books. Is Jericho trying to get all Fae hallows - 4 Seelie and 4 Unseelie plus 4 stones to read the Book? There is a ton of Fae artifacts in this book.

message 7: by AH (new)

AH I think he is trying to get all of the artifacts.

message 8: by AH (new)

AH I loved how Jericho was described: "He wasn't handsome. That was too calm a word. He was intensely masculine. He was sexual. He attracted. There was an omnipresent carnality about him, in his dark eyes, in his full mouth, in the way he stood."

Yum!

message 9: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) What I find funny is that Mac would describe him that way and then would say she wasn't into guys like him and she prefers nice boys. Yeah, right, of course she isn't into Barrons:)

message 10: by AH (new)

AH I don't think she was into him right away. He seems to have grown on her. But I'm only 1/3 of the way through the first book, busy day today.

message 11: by AH (last edited Jan 01, 2011 04:28PM) (new)

AH Hey, did you catch how Moning makes fun of her Highlander's series: (Mac talking about the kinds of books she and Alina liked) "Time-travel? Ha, give me creature comforts over a hulking highlander with the manners of a caveman any day."

message 12: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Yes, I did:)

message 13: by Regina (last edited Jan 01, 2011 04:06PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) AH I did catch that the first time I had read it and it was before I knew about the HL series. But I had just finished th outlander series and thought she was making fun of that!

message 14: by AH (last edited Jan 01, 2011 04:29PM) (new)

AH I'm having way too much fun reading Barron's description out loud to my husband...

Regina - I haven't read the Outlander series yet...I'll get to it one day.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 27 comments AH wrote: "I loved how Jericho was described: "He wasn't handsome. That was too calm a word. He was intensely masculine. He was sexual. He attracted. There was an omnipresent carnality about him, in his dark eyes, in his full mouth, in the way he stood."
"

I forgot about that ~ it sounds like she's describing Elvis! :)

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 4 comments I'm loving this re-read, i forgot how much I love this series! Aaah Barrons...

message 17: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Gah! Up to faefever! It's going too fast!

message 18: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) You are, Kat!

message 19: by AH (new)

AH Slow down Kat - It's that Aussie time zone thingy!

message 20: by AH (new)

AH Tatiana wrote: "I am almost done with it and enjoying it immensely. Can't wait to get some more Jericho though. He doesn't get nearly enough face time in the 1st book.

So, I already have a question, because, natu..."

V'lane was also trying to give her a fae artifact - the bracelet. Crux or something like that.

message 21: by Penny (last edited Jan 02, 2011 08:08PM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments Tatiana wrote: "It is surprising that a woman like Mac, who talks about clothes, nails and hair so much, doesn't annoy the hell out of me. It takes skill to write such a character and make me like her."

Actually it took me a while to stop being annoyed with the old Mac. She keeps describing every article of clothing, every accessory, every speck of makeup she puts on. And she averages about 2-3 outfit changes a day--want...to...strangle... The amount of times she changes her nail color, and then refers to each color by name is enough to make me wanna retch.

So this time, as Barrons is calling her a victim, a barbie doll, and telling her to go home, find a guy, make babies and DIE, I was like: "yeah, he's totally got her pegged. And honestly? She's best suited for that last part."

But now I'm liking her again, even if she's still the old Mac (aka Mac 1.0).

message 22: by Penny (new)

Penny | 82 comments Kat wrote: "Gah! Up to faefever! It's going too fast!"

Slow the crap down, woman! Shadowfever doesn't even come out until the 18th.

message 23: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Can't do. Once I start I just consume. Almost finished Dreamfever. Jan 18th can't come quickly enough.

Mac 1.0 never annoyed me. I had a hard time picturing her outfits but I always found the nailpolish refreshing and cute.

I liked the Rainbow girl thing about her because it made her unique. By the end she's so hard, so bitter, so jaded that she's started to resemble every other UF female protagonist out there. I want to see her dance and thumpthumping again.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 27 comments Kat wrote: "...By the end she's so hard, so bitter, so jaded that she's started to resemble every other UF female protagonist out there. I want to see her dance and thumpthumping again."

Couldn't agree with you more, Kat!

message 25: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Yeah, I just finished the books and now I'm heartbroken all over again. Barrons! There wasn't enough sexy times! More sexy times! Mac! Get out of there alive! *cries*

I have preordered the kindle edition so that I get it THE SECOND it comes out.

message 26: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kat I agree with your take on Mac. I loved he uniqueness from the get go I also had a hard time picturing her outfits. I felt her pain when she was dressed all cute and her outfits got splashed and ruined.

message 27: by Amazon80 (new)

Amazon80 | 8 comments Let me first say that I have not read anyone’s comments so I don’t inadvertently stumble upon a spoiler. I can’t wait to get in on the conversation once I finish book 4 (which will be before week’s end at the rate I’m going). But I want to say thank you for this readathon. If not for you I would never have picked up this series. I think did get Darkfever from the library once, read the prologue about Fea sex and thought it was erotica and put it back (not really my genre). Boy was I wrong. This series is fecking awesome! I want to slow down my pace so I’m not waiting a whole week before the final instillation…but I can’t stop reading. My boyfriend got me a Kindle book light as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. Big mistake…now I read under the blankets ;-)

message 28: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (strangemore) Hahaha. Amazon80 - I don't know if you will read this or not, but yours is the only comment I read so far because I'm the same way about spoilers, to the point that I will actually stick my fingers in my ears at sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" as loud as I can if someone starts talking about something I haven't seen or read yet. But I went crazy and got the four books all in a row, so hopefully I won't have to worry about spoilers soon. And thanks to the group also for getting me into the series!

message 29: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I am glad you both joined us:) I, personally, am very thankful Kat introduced me to this series a few months ago. Reading these books second time and loving every minute of it!

message 30: by AH (new)

AH Tatiana wrote: "I am glad you both joined us:) I, personally, am very thankful Kat introduced me to this series a few months ago. Reading these books second time and loving every minute of it!"

They are so much better the second time around.

message 31: by Flannery (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) I am seconding Amazon80 and Lyndsey's comments...though I did just read this whole thread:-) I am seriously loving the first book and I'm excited about getting the rest of them ASAP. Mac's descriptions of her outfits and makeup aren't really bothering me. I do, however, keep thinking that she shouldn't put herself down so much--not that she does it a ton but she keeps referring to herself as not highly educated, country-ish, etc. She's been making pretty rational decisions-- I mean, at least decisions where I wasn't like "WTF, woman! What are you doing?!" It is super refreshing after reading so many Sookie Stackhouse books where she annoys me to no end with her idiotic choices. (why do I keep reading them?) Not that there is even a comparison--I'm already enjoying this series more:-)

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

message 32: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (strangemore) Not country-ish. I believe her exact words are "Provinical with a capital P" LOL. That reminds me of Belle singing "There must be more to this provincial life!" and then I picture Jericho as Gaston singing the rest of the song.

message 33: by Flannery (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) I mean, she did mention that Barrons Bookstore was bigger than the Beast's. And you know what they say about guys. The bigger the book collection...

message 34: by Kat Kennedy (new)

...The more likely they are to hold you against your will and seduce to a life of bestiality?

I'm so glad you enjoyed the first book, Flannery!

message 35: by AH (new)

AH Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "I definitely would not have picked up this series had it not been for this group (even though I'd prior read Kat's and Tatiana's reviews for the books thus far). I'm on the third book right now, a..."

It would make an awesome movie or TV series if it were cast right.

message 36: by Penny (last edited Jan 05, 2011 05:48PM) (new)

Penny | 82 comments It was Kat's review that inspired me to come clean and admit to reading this series.

I've got a lot of church friends on this site and I didn't want them to get all gossipy about what I was reading. Heck, I'm still a little weary of church gossip. I haven't listed the fever books as books I'm currently reading. [Nosey] People talk.

But still. I love this series. So glad to be reading it at the same time as a bunch of other people. Only wish I could be at the big Shadowfever release bash with Moning and a bunch of her #1 fans. I think that would be awesome.

message 37: by Kat Kennedy (new)

I have to say, I am ADORING the lovefest!

This series rocks!

message 38: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Just started my re-read adn I actually have goosebumps and am shivering at parts. I don't think I gave the beginning of Darkfever and the prolouge enough attention during my first read and then my first listen to the audio.

message 39: by AH (new)

AH Regina wrote: "Just started my re-read adn I actually have goosebumps and am shivering at parts. I don't think I gave the beginning of Darkfever and the prolouge enough attention during my first read and then my..."

I took lots and lots of notes - I felt like Inspector Jayne at times.

message 40: by Émeraude (new)

Émeraude (meraude) | 59 comments I loved how Jericho
"He wasn't handsome. That was too calm a word. He was intensely masculine. He was sexual. He attracted. There was an omnipresent carnality about him, in his dark eyes, in his full mouth, in the way he stood.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) Do any of you think that this might be a really twisted take on, "The Beauty and the Beast"?

message 42: by Émeraude (new)

Émeraude (meraude) | 59 comments Leslie!!

Yes!!! LOL

message 43: by Amazon80 (new)

Amazon80 | 8 comments I literally just finished the series (on my lunch break btw- work shmirk) and I’m pissed that I finished the entire series in record time (less then 2 weeks). I want book 5 now; I NEED MORE BARRONS! The first part of the book when he’s ummm…”curing” her was muy sexy indeed but I need more. Jan. 19th seems like it will never get here. And yes this crazy girl just took that day off of work. I’m coming Jericho!

message 44: by Bec (new)

Bec (loulamai) I just got an email from book depository, shadowfever been released early! Only 2 weeks till it gets here!

message 45: by AH (new)

AH It says 18jan on bookdepository's website? How much earlier?

message 46: by Bec (new)

Bec (loulamai) I guess they got it today?
this is all the email said:

I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher.

Usually I get them 1.5weeks after that email

message 47: by Penny (new)

Penny | 82 comments Bec wrote: "I guess they got it today?
this is all the email said:

I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher.
..."

Ok that's just not right. I hate that I have to wait because I've got the rest of the series on audiobook. I could go ahead and preorder the actual book, but that'd be dumb since I'd end up getting the audiobook anyway.

Anyway, I'm jealous!

message 48: by Bec (new)

Bec (loulamai) it still takes 1-2 weeks to get to Australia, it just means I don't have to wait till Feb

message 49: by Galla (new)

Galla Tatiana and Kat, I have a suggestion! Perhaps you could create individual threads for each book in the series? Most of us in the group right now have already read all the released books, but new members might like to have a spot to discuss each book as they read.

message 50: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Sure, Galla, no problem

« previous 1