Ravelry Knitters discussion

2011 Ebook Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libi (new)

Libi (libilou) | 1 comments http://theladybugreads.blogspot.com/2...

Anyone else doing this? I've decided to do it, even posted about it on my blog. I'm going for the 12 books in a year level. I could probably commit to more, but with school and work and kids and parents, I just don't have a lot of time to read.

Not only am I going to do the 12 books, I've decided personally to make them classics. Classics that I've not read yet.

I'm starting with Grimm's Fairy Tales.

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan thanks for pointing this out. I'm already committed to a goodreads 2011 challenge, but I could add a minimum requirement for e-books too. It would motivate me to get started.

message 3: by Tiennie (new)

Tiennie | 1 comments Thanks for the link Libi! I'm in. Love love love my nook color and reading e-books. Have found that I definitely prefer it over paper books especially b/c my nook color syncs across my iPhone and iPad and also b/c my library system has so many e-books to borrow!

message 4: by L (new)

L (suddenexpression) I'm basically doing it, just didn't sign up for it. I guess it's basically my own personal goal. I'm trying for 12, but already have two done!

message 5: by Megan (last edited Jan 16, 2011 07:04AM) (new)

Megan I haven't signed up either but I have read 6 on my Kindle since New Year's Day. I too am doing the Goodreads 2011 Challenge (104 books = 2 per week). ;-)

message 6: by RuthG (new)

RuthG I'm not planning to sign up because I don't want to worry about how many books I'll read. I read so much anyway and I'm not normally into challenge groups. I've gotten both a Kindle and a Nookcolor and now I want to read all the time. That slows down my knitting!

message 7: by Hanane (new)

Hanane (mshanane) I am doing it in conjunction with my 2011 good reads challenge! 52books in the year! I am hoping that all of them will be digital!!!!

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (ladyval) RuthG wrote: "I'm not planning to sign up because I don't want to worry about how many books I'll read. I read so much anyway and I'm not normally into challenge groups. I've gotten both a Kindle and a Nookcol..."

I am the same. Since I bought my Nook, knitting has significantly slowed down.

message 9: by Ivy (last edited Feb 03, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Ivy Reisner (ivyr) | 4 comments I'm in and aiming for 20. So far, no issue. I get print books and audio books to review and I'm still already on my 4th ebook this year--1 Kindle (bought) and 3 Nook (borrowed) with a fourth borrowed nook book sitting on the device.

I'm also doing the Goodreads challange and aiming for 75, but I think I aimed low.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (seekup) RuthG wrote: "I'm not planning to sign up because I don't want to worry about how many books I'll read. I read so much anyway and I'm not normally into challenge groups. I've gotten both a Kindle and a Nookcol..."

A Kindle AND a Nookcolor? How on earth do you decide what you'll read on which device? Or do you just alternate?

message 11: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Reisner (ivyr) | 4 comments Kim wrote: "RuthG wrote: "I'm not planning to sign up because I don't want to worry about how many books I'll read. I read so much anyway and I'm not normally into challenge groups. I've gotten both a Kindle..."

I'm worse. I was given a Sony Daily to review. Then I bought a Kindle 3, then did content testing and was issued a Kindle DX and a Nook which I got to keep, then I was given a Nook Color for Hannukah. I'm swimming in ereaders.

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (seekup) Ivy wrote: "Kim wrote: "RuthG wrote: "I'm not planning to sign up because I don't want to worry about how many books I'll read. I read so much anyway and I'm not normally into challenge groups. I've gotten b..."

Hahaha, ridiculous! (You know, in a good way.)

message 13: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Reisner (ivyr) | 4 comments Vivianne wrote: "Can you give us a recommendation? I'm thinking of getting an ereader sometime this year."

It depends on your reading habits. If you read mostly magazines, and not a lot at one time, consider the nook color.

If you read books with a lot of tables or charts, the Kindle DX has the screen real estate that will meet your needs.

If you currently borrow many books from the library and are comfortable with the various elements of interlibrary loan, including the waiting list, you will probably want the eInk nook.

If you buy most of your books, and want the optimal reading experience (most advanced screen, greatest ease of use, most available content) the Kindle 3 is best of breed.

I don't see much that Sony or Kobo brings to the table at this point.

If you want the smallest eInk device possible, you want the Sony Pocket.

The Kobo was once the cheapest, but it isn't anymore. You can't bookmark or annotate and you use a jell pad to type (lots of fun when searching the store). My boss bought one and returned it the next day.

Personally, I like Kindle best.

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy Vivianne wrote: "Kim wrote: "I was given a Sony Daily to review. Then I bought a Kindle 3, then did content testing and was issued a Kindle DX and a Nook which I got to keep, then I was given a Nook Color for Hannu..."

What did you do to get to review these products? That's something I could be interested in doing.

message 15: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Reisner (ivyr) | 4 comments It's something I kind of fell into. One day I went to Amazon and there was a notice about joining Vine as a reviewer, so I clicked through and signed up.

Then Susan Dunham of SFSite e-mailed me a few months later and asked me to review Ubik on audio, so I got into reviewing audiobooks that way. I'm listening to Vampire Earth to review for her at the moment.

Every so often I get a book because of my podcast, and I'm one of the "catch all" folks at work. I never say "it's not my job" so I get the stuff that's really no one's job. Some of it is garbage. Sometimes, some of it leads to cool stuff. I got to spend 3 months in Arizona once that way.

It's really just luck. The Sony thing was because a small tech newsletter wanted an unbiased review of the device and I'd done a few small articles for them in the past, so they asked me to do this one.