UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Dyslexic Can Be Beaten

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Hi,
As a lot of my friend and family know, I was born with Cerebral Palsy but that has not held me back from trying to do anything. However, all the way through my school years, I was held back with my reading even though they gave me one to one reading and spell tuition they still did not get to the bottom of it.

It was not until I was about 27 when I was at Lowestoft College doing my IT computer. My course tutor asked if I would go and see this other tutor about my read as my course tutor saw that where a problem was. I went to see this other tutor and she asked if that I could keep coming to see her so she could help me. I used to go and see her once a week and I think it was on the third week when I asked her why do I have this problem with reading and my spellings? She said, “Nick you are Dyslexic, can help you to get better but you will never get rid of it.” When she was saying that I just went numb and the rest old the day at college was just a blur all I kept hearing in my head why the hell haven’t I got enough to cope with in life? I just wanted to stop my IT course and just hind and not wanting to see no one. Nevertheless, something kept pushing me in side (as it has throughout my life), I still did my IT course at college and at the end of the year, and I got a pass. Because as I was Dyslexic I was aloud longer to sit, the exams and my tutor could help me in class with different things too.

Even though I got a pass in my IT course, I still went to the reading classes too. Where I did an English word power exam, which I passed too. My tutor told me if I want to get even better is to find an author I like and start reading (I will not list the authors and books I have read as you look on my profile).
By now, I still could not tell people that I was Dyslexic because I thought people would think that I did not try at school. Now I feel that I can tell anybody that I am Dyslexic.

To date: I am doing an English course at my local library in Beccles, the course is for people that have dyslexic and what to better themselves.

I hope this is was not to long? However, I would like to give a little bit of advice to anyone who has found out they have dyslexic later on in life.

IT CAN BE BEATEN IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN TOO!
I would like to hear from people who has or knew of people that has over come Dyslexic.

message 2: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle My friend's mother has dyscalculia (like dyslexia but with numbers rather than words) though she has a strong passion for mathematics and ended up getting a degree and becomeing a high school maths teacher. Last year she was voted teacher of the year in my whole county.
Another case is a girl I know who has dyslexia and she is taking an english literature A level which she really enjoyes. She struggles sometimes but has help with a piece of pink cellophane which she places ontop of what she is reading which helps her to read.

message 3: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Nicolle wrote: "My friend's mother has dyscalculia (like dyslexia but with numbers rather than words) though she has a strong passion for mathematics and ended up getting a degree and becomeing a high school maths..."

hi nicolla

It great about your friends mother, see it can be beaten. The cellophane I tried it with different colours peaces but I was better without any thing. I think that is down to the person.

message 4: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments Hi Nick,
one of my friends on another thread has Dyslexia, but without the other complications. Her first book is out. I take my hat off to both of you. I'm not sure how I would have coped, not as well as you I suspect! You have a great new year, With a bit of luck we might meet up we're not too far apart, I'll let you know when I'm 'down your way'.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 5: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Timothy wrote: "Hi Nick,
one of my friends on another thread has Dyslexia, but without the other complications. Her first book is out. I take my hat off to both of you. I'm not sure how I would have coped, not a..."

It is surprising how many people are dyslexic. Other have reading problems and wont get help which is out there for them.

message 6: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments I know mate, and you are a shining example of what can be achieved. Well done you, you'll have to pat yourself on the back, I can't reach from here!.
All the best, Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 7: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Timothy wrote: "I know mate, and you are a shining example of what can be achieved. Well done you, you'll have to pat yourself on the back, I can't reach from here!.
All the best, Paul Rix [oldgeezer]"

Hold on! I'll lean closer to my laptop Lol

message 8: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 239 comments Pat- Pat paaaatttttt.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]

message 9: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Timothy wrote: "Pat- Pat paaaatttttt.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]"

thanks

message 10: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Nick, I think this is a really important discussion because as has been mentioned, many people struggle as a result of dyslexia and it's helpful to hear how others cope and what can be achieved.

My cousin is dyslexic, rather frustratingly not picked up until she was quite far through her schooling. Anyhow, she decided to go back to studying as a mature student and although she has had battles in order to produce written work and has had to re-submit written pieces, I just heard today that she is now a fully qualifed Midwife. All her efforts have really payed off!

message 11: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Em wrote: "Nick, I think this is a really important discussion because as has been mentioned, many people struggle as a result of dyslexia and it's helpful to hear how others cope and what can be achieved.

..."

Hi em

First of all cngrats to your cousin as I know how hard it must of been for her.
There are computer programme out to help dyslexic people with writing. The one I have used is called Texthelp it is really good.