YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Book Suggestions > Favorite Books Ever

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Talk about your favorite books! They don't have to be post-apocalyptic or dystopian. What are your favorite books EVER?

message 2: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

Summer (sunsset) | 49 comments Mod
Oh my, that's a hard one.

I think my favorites are:
1.The perks of being a wallflower
2. The life as we knew it series

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm...I've never heard of The perks of being a wallflower. And I've been meaning to read the life as we knew it series...I might have to urgent-ize those ones now thought haha :)

There are too many books to pick! I would have to say that The Hunger Games is my favorite series, along with Percy Jackson and the Mortal Instruments. There are way too many to list, but those are my top three!

message 4: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

I got the percy Jackson series over Christmas, so those are on my pile of awaiting books.
I didn't think he'd be that young in them though!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

He gets a year older in each book, so he's 16 by the last one. OMG they're sooo good! :)

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I have read the first Life As We Knew It books and I really liked it too!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeez there are so many books I need to read!

message 8: by Summer, MIA since 2014 (new)

SO many books, So little time!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) My recent favorites:

The Hunger Games Series - Suzanne Collins
Feed - Mira Grant
Blood Oath: The President's Vampire - C. Farnsworth
The Host - Stephenie Meyer
Shiver/Linger - Maggie Stiefvater
Ballad/Lament - Maggie Stiefvater

and

All books by Amanda Hocking but Hollowland in particular.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I <3 Maggie Stiefvater's books! And dang I need to get cracking on the rest of Amanda Hocking's books!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Once you start Amanda Hocking's books you'll get through them pretty quickly. They are fast reads.

message 12: by ♔ Shayna (new)

♔ Shayna  | 17 comments My top favorites are:

The Wind Blows Backward by Mary Downing Hahn The Pact by Jodi Picoult The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

OOO! I've heard Jodi Picoult books are really good! I have yet to try one though, so I might try that one soon! I've been iffy about The Host since Twilight haha, but there's been a lot of positive recommendations about it, so I might try it sometime! :)

message 14: by ♔ Shayna (new)

♔ Shayna  | 17 comments The Host is INCREDIBLE. So much better than the Twilight series. As for The Pact, I got no sleep I had to finish it. Was so intense.

message 15: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments Did anyone read Maximum Ride? Cuz I just LOVE those...

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 10, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Ahhh! Maximum Ride! I love those books! But I was super disappointed in Fang. What did you think of it?

I wish he would have stopped after Max.

message 17: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments Amy wrote: "Ahhh! Maximum Ride! I love those books! But I was super disappointed in Fang. What did you think of it?

I wish he would have stopped after Max."

Yeah, Fang (the book) was a bit irritating (though Fang himself is yummy!)...but I don't think I'll be able to stop reading the books...I preordered Angel!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I'm not gonna be able to stop reading the books either. It's a sick addiction haha :)

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Kersey | 4 comments I loved The Hunger Games.

message 20: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments oh me too! but i lost interest after catching fire...mockingjay started out so depressing...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Mockingjay was more of a love it or hate it book haha. It has really mixed reviews.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amonika) I love The Hunger Games. It actually stuck with me and made me think.

I just read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater but I'm not sure I can read Linger. I really really liked Shiver and I thought it ended at a good place. I am afraid that Linger will ruin it based on the description of the book. I can't decide if I should start it or let the series end with the first book since I liked it so much.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments The love the Percy Jackson series. Also, Unwind, and the In Death series by JD Robb.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda, you should definitely read Linger. Yes, it puts more complications in the plot, but it's a really good story. I can't wait for Forever!

Jen, ahhhhh! I love Percy Jackson!! But the movie completely sucked! That is one of my favorite series ever! Have you read The Lost Hero? I'm excited that the second one in that series comes out soon!

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amonika) Jen wrote: "The love the Percy Jackson series. Also, Unwind, and the In Death series by JD Robb."

I love the In Death series by JD Robb. Rourke is just hot.

Amy - I'll look into it. I really hate it sometimes when authors screw with relationships. The Mortal Instruments series about did me in (I'm thankful I stuck with it though).

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (meatball77) Suzanne Collin's other series The Underhand Chronicles Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1) by Suzanne Collins is very good. I'd recommend it for fans of percy jackson. It's dark but very good.

message 27: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments Sara wrote: "Suzanne Collin's other series The Underhand Chronicles Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1) by Suzanne Collins is very good. I'd recommend it for fans of percy jackson. It's dark but very good."

Hmm - I'll check that out. Thanks!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been meaning to check that series out for a while too! I love Suzanne Collins and I love the Percy Jackson series! Sounds like a good mix! I'll need to read it soon!

message 29: by Jen (last edited Mar 14, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments Amy wrote: "Amanda, you should definitely read Linger. Yes, it puts more complications in the plot, but it's a really good story. I can't wait for Forever!

Jen, ahhhhh! I love Percy Jackson!! B..."

Amy - The "Lost Hero" was awesome! I can't wait to see where this set goes. According to his website there's gonna be 5 of these too.

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments Amy wrote: "OOO! I've heard Jodi Picoult books are really good! I have yet to try one though, so I might try that one soon! I've been iffy about The Host since Twilight haha, but there's been a lot of positive..."

Jodi Picoult is really good. "Salem Falls" was one of my favorites of hers. "The Host" was a lot better than the Twilight series.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments You might also check out the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Most of those are fun and hot! ;)

message 32: by Jen (last edited Mar 12, 2011 12:40PM) (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments Amanda wrote: "Jen wrote: "The love the Percy Jackson series. Also, Unwind, and the In Death series by JD Robb."

I love the In Death series by JD Robb. Rourke is just hot.

Amy - I'll look into it. I really..."

Amanda, Roarke is hot! :)

message 33: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Amanda wrote: "I love The Hunger Games. It actually stuck with me and made me think.

I just read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater but I'm not sure I can read Linger. I really really liked Shiver and I thought it en..."

Oh, man...you HAVE to read linger. It is really, really good and it adds a new character who is now one of my favorites.

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Intertwined (Intertwined, #1) by Gena Showalter The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima ...Whew! okay, i'm not so good at the narrowing down...but these are at the top of my Favorites list.

Amy...Grrrr! I can't believe you haven't read The Host.... there's just no words. So i will make you a deal...you read the Host and i will read Percy Jackson, because I've not read those yet and you say they're amazing. And, hey...you love Finnikin and the demon king so i've got faith in you.

message 34: by Bethany (new)

Bethany P.S. I love the Maximum Ride series too...and I was pretty depressed after reading Fang, but I actually really liked Angel. It kinda won me back over a bit for the series overall. I was happy with it for the most part.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 11, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

I love Maximum Ride too! But I wish he had stopped them at book 5. Even book 3 would have been a good place to stop. Don't you think that these last two books have been totally different from the original story line? I can't wait to see how he ends the series in the next book!

Oh also Bethany, you definitely need to read Percy Jackson!

message 36: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments Maximum Ride was awesome! Fang and Angel were depressing, but I agree that Angel was better. Although, why Fang? Why did you have to do such stupid horrible things? I mean, Maya? Really? Ugh - Max needs you, and then you go and do this? I love Fang, I really do, but his behavior in that book just...yeah. You get it.

message 37: by Missme (new)

Missme | 3 comments I love maximum ride, but my favourite books would have to be The enemy by Charlie Higson and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 70 comments The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak What Happens Here by Tara Altebrando Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Looking for Alaska by John Green When you wake and find me gone by Maureen McCarthy
and many more . . .

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura, I've heard good things about all of the ones you listed, but I haven't read any of them lol :) I've been wanting to read Before I Fall because I loved Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I've heard really good things about it too!

I love Simone Elkeles' books Missme! They are so good! I'm eagerly awaiting the third in the Perfect Chemistry series! Also, Maximum ride is awesome (except for the last two he's written haha)!

message 40: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments Missme wrote: "I love maximum ride, but my favourite books would have to be The enemy by Charlie Higson and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles"

OMG I loved Perfect Chemistry! Have you read Rules of Attraction (the second one)?

message 41: by Missme (new)

Missme | 3 comments Yes! I loved that one too (although not as much as the first). Have you read it?

message 42: by Cherrylea (new)

Cherrylea | 8 comments No, but I REALLY want to. I can't find it in my library...*sobs uncontrollably*. (Fine, I wasn't sobbing, but I'm pretty sad let me tell you!)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Rule of Attraction was really good! But I will still always love Perfect Chemistry the most!

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 70 comments Amy wrote: "Laura, I've heard good things about all of the ones you listed, but I haven't read any of them lol :) I've been wanting to read Before I Fall because I loved Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I've heard r..."

Looking for Alaska is a must read! (Let's face it, John Green in general is an awesome author). I really love Markus Zuzak, too. Both of the ones I listed are AMAZING!

message 45: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Laura, I haven't read any of your faves either, I am getting Before I Fall soon tho. I'll have to check out some of the others. Part of my problem is that I find it difficult to branch out into unfamiliar genres. Something i'm working on...lol.

message 46: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Amy wrote: "Rule of Attraction was really good! But I will still always love Perfect Chemistry the most!"

Haven't read those either...*sighs* My TBR list is out of control, I won't be done until i'm like 90. But, oh well....

message 47: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Okay...so this isn't like the greatest series ever, but if you haven't read it you should check these out. I will never be so happy about not judging a book by it's cover...I almost didn't read this series because of the stupid covers, but they are really good and very different. They are about Goblins mostly, but it's not at all like you'd think. Anyway, I just love it and thought i'd throw out the recommendation. I give you the Hollow Kingdom trilogy... The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1) by Clare B. Dunkle Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2) by Clare B. Dunkle In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3) by Clare B. Dunkle

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm....I will definitely check those ones out! Gracias!

message 49: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebayne) I loved Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta and really anything by Rick Riordan, Ann Bishop and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

message 50: by Jen (last edited Apr 15, 2011 01:40PM) (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments I'm gonna have to agree with Angie on Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman , Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta Rick Riordan, Anne Bishop and Sherrilyn Kenyon, especially the "Dark Hunter" series, and I'm gonna add the "In Death" series by JD Robb, and anything by Charles DeLint

« previous 1