Great African Reads discussion

Archived | Ports of Call 2011 > Food in Eritrea

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
While looking for Eritrean music, i found a video for making this chicken dish.

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 207 comments Found several recipes at http://www.eritrea.be/old/eritrea-rec... but there don't seem to be many books specifically on Eritrean food that I could find... Anyone out there please do prove me wrong!

message 3: by Maria Elena (new)

Maria Elena (maudi) Nina wrote: "Found several recipes at http://www.eritrea.be/old/eritrea-rec... but there don't seem to be many books specifically on Eritrean food that I could find... Anyone out there please do prove me ..."

I found a book at my local library:
Taste of Eritrea : recipes from one of East Africa's most interesting little countries by Olivia Warren

It's okay, it is catered to the American cook or someone who may not have access to Teff flour or all the spices that make up Berbere. But it gives a good basis for how to prepare Eritrean dishes. It includes lots of Italian influenced recipes too.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments Saw berbere spice mix in my local food coop last week. We generally don't have a lot of African spice mixes or ingredients here, although we can get lots of Indian and Asian brands and types. Probably because we don't have a large African immigrant community from countries that have really distinctive uses of spices.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments Having had Eritrean home cooking, I don't think it's all that different from Ethiopian food -- meaning it's delicious of course.

You can get teff flour in Whole Foods if you have one near you. It's interesting that Eritrean and Ethiopian immigrants don't generally cook their own enjerea, but buy it from a restaurant.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

You can also buy teff from Bob's Red Mill online.