The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > Significant Others

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Charity (last edited Jul 31, 2008 03:36PM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Due to the overwhelming surge of discussions in other threads, this is a thread to discuss your Significant Others and their relationship with your reading.

Significant Others will apply to:

*Spouses
*Partners
*Boyfriends/Girlfriends
*Family Members
*Friends (real and imaginary)

and how they:

*Participate in your reading - by reading themselves and/or asking you questions about what you are reading and/or possibly influencing what you are reading.

*Encourage your reading - by 'allowing' you the freedom to bring home as many books as you want and/or 'allowing' you plenty of time to read your books and/or 'allowing' you to tell them all about what you are reading...EVEN THOUGH they are not avid readers themselves.

*(Attempt to) Stifle your reading - by nagging you about all the books you buy and/or complaining about all the time you spend reading and/or teasing and mocking you for being a 'book nerd'.

or ANY combination...

This will definitely be an on-going thread...because I'm sure there will never be a shortage of happenings.

Please share ANY and ALL witty anecdotes about what happens with you and your significant others when it comes to reading...

Did they buy you a gift card to a bookstore? Get upset over the giant heap of books you walked in the door with? Talk to you the entire time you were trying to read a really good part of your book? Or *gasp* start reading a book themselves??

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry My husband does not read.I once saw him read for about 20 minutes but that was about it.Oh and I've seen him read a couple of magazines as well.The newspaper he likes to read is mostly pictures and headlines and very little actual articles.

That being said he never begrudges me my books.He doesn't get it but he is supportive.As some may already know when he once asked me why do I read so much?I responded with I don't know,why do you masturbate? His curiousity was satisfied with that answer.
He likes knowing I'll do almost anything for books. :D

message 3: by Tisha (last edited Jul 31, 2008 03:48PM) (new)

Tisha 5 of my friends and I attempted to start a book club. We did great with the beginning two books as they were easy to read chick-lit. Something Borrowed & Baby Proof. Then we decided to dive into others...successfully finished Lovely Bones... Eventually, our success disintegrated and some never hit the deadline, others procrasinated in buying the book, and ultimately we were simply meeting for "Book Club" and just drank wine and gossiped with barely a mention of the book!

There are 2 of us that really like to read and we still exchange books, the rest of us still meet for fun though and they've accepted that they just aren't "readers." They admit how much they enjoyed it though. I appreciate their attempts! :)

message 4: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments My Husband (yes it is legal in Hawaii)Is not a reader either ....a couple of years ago,I guess he got insired by seeing me reading soooo much and proclaimed he was "going to start to read , so we would have something else to talk about." Of course I encouraged him. Until I saw the book he wanted to start with.. Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. I told him that was a bit ambitious to start with a book that was over 8oo pages. He got through chapter 3. And that as they say was that.

message 5: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Oh my word! I might actually cry. That was beautiful, Ken!!

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Wow Ken,that sounds really wonderful.I adore my husband and would not trade him for anything but I do wish this was something we could share.I suspect he wishes I'd enjoy fishing and those hideous Stargate tv shows.

message 7: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Well, my Husband reads.. a little. He likes the good ole D&D novels... Dwarfs, Elves, what-have-you, and I have seen him, on very few occasions, crack open a book and read for a little while. It takes him about a year to complete one book!

He used to to huff and puff when I would tell him I was running out to the bookstore, as I was 'always' running out the bookstore :) But now that I shop smart -- only going to Borders with a coupon, or hitting the salvo for a few, he doesnt seem to mind as much. And I always come back with books for the kids, so its a win win for them too...

He had started buying Dvds like crazy, so figured we were even. And even prompts me sometimes (as he did with the Odd Thomas new release) to pick it up and buy it....

On Mothers day, he found my journal where I write down all the books I want to buy (everything I have as to-buy here in goodreads) and he bought me 4 books off that list. That was the first time he ever did something like that for me, and I melted right then and there.

He could care less what I read about, though, unless it was smut-n-sex.. haa haa haa, Then that would have his attention!! If I start to explain a book to him, you can see the eyes start to glaze over, and the brain shutting down. So Ive learned not to bother. Hee hee

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My teenage daughters and I share a lot of books. I got them both on GR and now the little bit of competition has broken out to see who can read the most books. One of them is tackling 1001 books to read before you die w/me.

My son who is still quite small, I read too about an hour or more everynight. Usually storybooks he picks out and then a fun classic that I pick. We are slowly getting through Treasure Island. Prior to that I read him The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilology.

We love reading and spend a ton of time at the library, the used book store around the corner & the dreaded B&N.

I do however have to watch what my teenagers read closely as they are at the young end of teenagers. Like the 13 year old wants to read the Other Bolyen Girl and I had to hide it because I really don't think it is appropriate for her!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ken:

I forgot to mention how sweet! Do you have a clone out there! LOL

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Well, as I have mentioned before, my husband read once upon a time when he had no choice and rode the bus. That was a magical time in my life. He asked me for suggestions and we would talk about the books he read.

However, once he was allowed back in a car, that all stopped. He does read magazines, but I do wish he would read books.

With that said, he makes the money in this house and fully supports my book buying habits fully. So, while I wish he read more, I do appreciate that he understands and supports my habit.

My daughter (5 years old) loves books as much as I do. I love reading to her and I do believe she loves being read to. Before she and I go into a bookstore together we have to agree on how many books we each get to buy. We usually go over that limit. :)

message 11: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments I am definitely the reader in our house. My boyfriend reads on occasion - mostly adventure books (Into Thin Air & the like) or beer brewing books (we just got a cool one about the history of beer in MN last night). But he's a much more casual reader, whereas I, if given the choice, would probably spend most of my waking hours reading.

However, he is always supportive of me reading, if not of me always wanting to buy more books. As I mentioned on another thread, I'm not supposed to buy new ones until we figure out where to put the ones I already own. And since there are about 10 boxes of books in the basement, it could be a while before I find them all a home. So I'm mostly a library patron for now. :)

He did read Harry Potter (finally) this spring, but since he was only luke-warm about it, I might not encourage him to read others of my favorites!

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 79 comments Ken, that is such a wonderful story! I wish my boyfriend shared my joy of reading so that we could have discussions, but, alas, he does not. He is ultra supportive of my love of reading and never complains about my trips to the bookstore or library (wish I could get the same support around my shoe habits :)!) He mostly reads technical book relating to his work.

I have several friends and my sister who love to read, so it's wonderful to be able to share books with them and talk about what we've read. It's also why I'm so glad I found you guys, to talk about what I've read and be introduced to new reading.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments My boyfriend does all three (particpiate, encourage, and attempt to stifle) depending on the day really. When I bring home new books he always reads the backs and then arranges them from "stupid" to "sounds good." We read the Harry Potter books out loud to each other alternating between chapters.

He reads also, mostly mystery, historical fiction, and classics like Shakespeare and Poe (he was a theater major in college.) He reads much slower and not as frequently as I do, it takes him about a month and a half or so to go through a book. Sometimes my reading bothers him, he will purposefully talk to me to try and distract me and sometimes gets whiny like, "When are you going to stop reading?" He thinks I ignore him, but I just think it's because he has ADD and can't concentrate on a book for as long as I can.

As for the rest of my family, I am the only reader. My parents said they both read when they were younger but as their lives got busier they stopped. My brothers basically read what they have to for school and even then, I don't know how much of it they actually do!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Great stories everyone! Ken, I guess you take the cake as far as match made in heaven for a TNBBC type of person.

My wife likes to read almost as much as me but is not so obsessive. When she starts a book she reads it cover to cover and then feels guilty of neglect (she is a neat freak) and in the end restricts her reading because she is afraid of getting "behind". (Can you really stay ahead of 4 kids). She does not restrict my book buying anymore than I restrict scrapbook supply buying and often times I am buying books for her or the kids. She does think that my collection has reached saturation point. I say we just need another shelf. If she really wants me to read a book she has read then I put it on the priority list and usually I like it. She'll read some books that I do, but often she does not like it as well as me.

I have 3 sisters that like to read and I am usually pushing books onto them. They seem to like what I pass on. The one that I have been closest to recently is always having people pass books along so I try to keep that in mind. But she loves horror movies and just last week it occured to me that she might like Diary by Palahniuk. I was pleased to find that she did like it.

message 15: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I realized that I forgot a couple things in my post.

First, while my husband is supportive of my book buying and reading, he also will talk to be CONSTANTLY while I am doing so. If I go into a different room or sit outside, he is at the door saying, "what are you doing" or "when are you going to be done." He has gotten better at this as I have gotten better at mean-muggin' him.

Also, I have to say that I am in a great book club that my friend Melanie and I started where we live right before my daughter was born. So, every 6 weeks I get together with girlfriends and have great conversations about books, eat food related to the current book and drink wine. It is great. What I really like about the club is that it has broadened my horizons on the things I read...I would have never read Lonesome Dove if it weren't for the club.

I also have made great friends in grad school that have the same passion for the written word that I do. Maybe that is why we are lit majors. :)

message 16: by Theresa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) What a great idea for a thread, Charity. :)

As many of you know from my other postings in the group, my husband (Greg) does not read, does not like that I read, and threatens to use my books as fire-starters when he uses the grill. I smuggle books in to my house and upstairs to avoid getting sighted by the eagle-eyed "stifler" in the house.

There has been a slight softening towards my book reading. I'm taking my little sister to the B&N release party for Breaking Dawn tonight. Greg actually thinks this is really cool. He - I still can't believe this - suggested that I stay up with the sis to read the book tonight after we get home (~1am or later). Shocking, right? :)

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ken, that is such a sweet story about how you and your wife got together. My eyes did that little girly misting and I sighed a bit. So romantic.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who hid books to keep others from getting them. I did this with movies too.

Lori, that was also so sweet about your husband and Mother's Day. :)

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ken, I called in our preorder for two copies late last week... they are doing a color-code/number thing too. I hope we get a fairly good color/number so we don't have to spend all night there. 'Course, it is a bookstore and we both love books so I'm sure we could manage if we didn't get our copies until late. :)~

A friend of mine's son works at B&N and was told to expect to stay there until at least 3am selling copies. Craziness!

message 19: by Mimmi (new)

Mimmi (onedrwumn) | 34 comments Ken, I think your spouse's story was so moving.

I would love to read in a house full of bookaholics. Maybe it will grow on my kids soon enough. They have done more reading then they have before. I can not complain. As far as my husband...we have been married for 17 yrs and I have never seen him read a book, that is not a course book or something for his job. Sadly! He enjoys going to the book stores and especially vintage books...more for display. Hey the kids are reading better, maybe he will find the right book too, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We still have our love of movies. I get him to see the movie of the books I've read. Maybe thats a start...lol

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Ahhh, some lovely stories here.

Well, my Mum and Dad love to read and my Mum and I love to discuss books - we meet up for a coffee and share what we are reading which I love.

My husband (Dave) doesn't read but on the whole he is really supportive and when I get really excited about a book he asks me often what's happening now etc and on some occasions he practically knows the whole book off by heart without reading a word. When I read Blindness last week I was so excited about it and I would tell him what bit I was at and we'd chat about it. The same thing with Life of Pi, he loved hearing about Richard Parker the tiger. Infact, for our 4th wedding annoversary 3 years ago (this is the "wood" anniversary) he tracked down an original, signed, first edition of Life of Pi as my present and I burst into tears cos he knew how much I loved it.

Sometimes though, he starts to glaze over when I tell him about a book - for example when I read The Red Tent he couldn't understand why I would want to read about "a load of women bleeding all over bails of hay". LOL.

So this is why I love this place cos nobody here will laugh at my book choices and think I'm a nerd for being so addicted to books.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Leppaluoto: wow we have a lot in common. I took my daughters to the breaking dawn party too. Teens are really into the Twilight Series.

Maddie: just keep reading to your kids. My Dad read to me as a child and it infected me with a very good disease/obsession. I did the same for my kids. My kids lay around the house and read for hours a day.

message 22: by Charity (last edited Aug 03, 2008 10:34AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Well, I started this thread, but haven't added my own post yet, so here goes....

I consider my husband to be the greatest man I've ever known. I honestly don't know of another person who could put up with me like he does. He probably reads more than I do, but he doesn't get to read many books for pleasure. He reads the paper from beginning to end every day, endless literature for work (primarily tax books, since he is an accountant *snore*), business magazines, and bedtime stories to the kids (without yawning once). Seeing that he works upwards of 90 hours a week sometimes, I'm surprised he gets that much reading in.

However, he does pick up a book for pleasure here and there (and I pick myself up off the floor when he does). He's been chipping away at The World is Flat for a few months (taking it with him on business trips) and has recently started up the Harry Potter books.

To prove that he isn't a total illiterate, he requested that I post his top 6 books of all time...the unshakable books that affected him more than any others when he read them. He said he couldn't do a number like 5, and as for 10, well...he could add others that he loved, but since they weren't life-changing, the other 4 spots are up for grabs.

Hubby's Unshakable Top-6:

1.Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
2.Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
3.To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
4.Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
5.Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
6.Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

He is completely supportive of my reading and indulges my desires to splurge...recently converting awards that he won at work into $150 worth of gift cards to Amazon for me. He told me that he finds my love of books and reading to be completely admirable and one of his favorite things about me. *swoon*

He may never be an avid reader of books, but I think I'll keep him around. :-)

message 23: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 535 comments Awwwwww YAY Charity!!! that was a truely great post ....I could feel the love ooooozing from my screen!!

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie That truly is wonderful Charity. AND, he does have a pretty impressive top 6!

message 25: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I should point out that my husband's family is Irish-Welsh (heavy on the Irish), so Angela's Ashes really made an impact on him. I read it myself and found it to be absolutely haunting. I completely understand why he chose it.

I am only second generation of my family born in America and I feel like a slacker about getting in touch with my roots. I'd love to read Italian authors, but I don't know where to begin. I tell my family, "I live in Columbus, isn't that enough?"

My husband loves his roots and insisted we give our sons Irish names. If we hadn't had two sons, he would have been the last in his family line (the other children in the family are girls), so I had to agree. Never regretted it for a day (and surprisingly enough, my family was fine about it too).

message 26: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I do have some Calvino on my shelves, but I don't know if he counts as an Italian or a Cuban.

I've wanted to try Umberto Eco...namely, The Name of the Rose.

Other than those (and Boccaccio, of course), I'm at a loss.

message 27: by Ari (last edited Sep 09, 2008 01:58PM) (new)

Ari (aricl) | 54 comments Let's see...

Back when I was a toddler, my father stayed up with me every night reading me comic-books and showing me the words so I could identify them. My earliest memories of this go back to when I was 2 yrs-old and, thanks in great part to him, I was reading on my own and with no problems by age 3.

My mother is a compulsive reader and book-buyer; in fact, I blame her for my addiction since she's the one who taught me -though not explicitly- from a very early age that there is no such thing as "too many books" and that it doesn't matter whether you have enough space to put new acquisitions. In fact, she also taught me that when it comes to choosing between having enough space for your clothes and having enough space for your books, the books win (she taught me this by constantly hijacking my wardrobe with her books).

None of my siblings read back when I was a child/teenager. One of them started reading when he was about 25 (I was 18), though he's always given me books for my birthday. My 2 other siblings are a lost cause :P

My live-in boyfriend doesn't read. Ever. He's a tv and internet buff all the way :P Still, he doesn't give me a hard time about my reading because he knows and has always known that I'm a book-freak... he does tend to grumble a little, though, whenever I buy a new book, mostly because he doesn't understand why it is that I absolutely have to buy a new book considering that I already have a huge pile of yet-unread books lying around (and that our flat is smallish, so my books DO take a lot of space).

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) My husband, daughter (I only have one child), mom and sisters are all readers, which is nice, and we like a lot of the same books. I would prob. have never read Harry Potter (and definitely not Twilight) without my daughter's encouragement.

My husband used to only read non-fiction (boring space, history and war books, yuck), but since he commutes 30 or so minutes one way to work, I got him hooked on audiobooks, which was a huge breakthrough, cause now he actually reads fiction.

He is now hooked on Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, and has read all the Potter's except the last one. He got me hooked on Sherlock Holmes and then, Laurie King's Beekeeper's Apprentice series, and even got me to read Dracula last Halloween (I never used to read vampire books, but wow, that one was good)!

It's nice for me to be able to share reading with him, because I've been a bookworm since before 1st grade. Since we're going to be empty-nesters this time next year, it makes it even better. When you're caught up in your careers and the kids, it's easy to drift apart some, and I think reading will help us knit back together.

message 29: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Cool thread. My husband is as crazy about his music as I am about my books. He has as many cd's as I do books. Actualy, he has lots more cause I get most of mine from the library and I give lots of mine away. I know he sometimes (deep down inside) thinks I am a book nerd, But he still loves me.
One of my sisters reads, and is on GRs. The other sister offered to go to our library sale and carry books for me...lol

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Ken: yes my oldest started highschool. She really enjoys it. She is trying out for Sweeney Todd. That is the muscial they choose this year. Just not as disgusting as the Depp movie!

She is singing the song "No one will harm you as long as I'm around." It's so stuck in my head!

message 31: by Kellie (last edited Sep 09, 2008 04:47PM) (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments This is a great thread!! I am so glad it was revived!

First off, Ken LOVED your story.

Lori, Loved your story! I had to tell my husband about it. That was so thoughtful!

My mom likes to read but she isn't avid. Actually, she just recently started to read more because I keep telling her about them ans she can't resist.
My sister reads but she is a fanatic. She actually read a book in the bathroom while brushing her teeth. She held it down on the toilet with her foot. She is currently taking a "book vacation"

My husband doesn't read books but he loves to do research and read the news on the internet.
Although, about a month ago I caught him laying in bed reading a book I bought called "How to survive in the woods" I was so excited I couldn't stop bugging him about it.
He doesn't comment that much about my book buying cause I either trade or get them from goodwill or the library.
He does make fun of my overflowing bookshelf however.
I have a couple friends who read and we talk books a little but I get most of my book conversation from here and my 2 book clubs.

I would love it if my kids really enjoyed reading and hopefully that will come when they get a little older.
I started reading "Little House in the Big Woods" tonight with my 5 year old. I hope she is enjoying it as much as I am.

message 32: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I LOVE the Little House books...especially The Long Winter. I hope your daughter loves them, too!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Little House books & the TV show! I am a junkie. I had a Little House Lunch box back in the days.

message 34: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Oh Kellie, the LITTLE HOUSE books were the first books I can remember reading and meaning the world to me. I gave my precious copies to my twin neices last Christmas because I knew they would cherish them as much as I did.

message 35: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Oh, this is freaky - I've just been researching where to get the best deal on the Little House box set! My grandmother gave me the first 2 books for Christmas one year (I believe it was 1981), and I was hooked.

Now, to the topic of this thread ~ my husband (Marty) is not really much of a reader, but I've been slowly rubbing off on him. He's actually started and finished several books since we've been together - a feat he basically never did before meeting me. He's way supportive of my reading and book buying, though, and will graciously listen as I gleefully describe all of my great finds from the latest book fair. He also says I've rubbed off on him in other ways, too. For example, before meeting me, he owned three pairs of shoes. After we had been dating for about a year, his shoe total was up to 10 pairs and counting. (Yes, I have a shoe obsession that meets or exceeds my book addiction.) :-)

Neither of my parents were really into reading, other than the newspaper. But they always read to me, and once I could read on my own, Mom would take me to the library about as often I wanted to (which was about every week).

I have several friends who are into reading, and we've formed an awesome book club that's been going strong for 5 years now.

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
So an update on my hubby.
He actually finished this boo he bought a year ago the other day. And he told me he found out they are releasing the next book for that series in October and that he wants to go and buy it.

Hello? WHo are you? WHat have you done with my husband? He doesnt like to read! He never gets excited about a book release!

Hee hee

message 37: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) My dh isn't much af a reader at all.He works long hours everyday driving a truck.So when he gets home he would rather watch tv to relax.He does every once in awhile pick up a book and like it.He liked The DaVinci Code he was reading the Harry Potter's with me and our oldest dd Kyrstin for awhile.He read till the middle of the 5 the book.He hasn't picked up reading since though.He also likes books on Jim Morrison or Jerry Garcia.He does like to browse the bookstore with me occasionally as well.He does shake his head at me when i come home from the library with 10 books he knows I'm not going to finish in 3 weeks.He also a asked me to get rid of some books a couple of years ago before we had a book shelf.They were sitting in our closet on shelves and the floor and in boxes.So i did and regret some of the books i gave away.I already told him don't ask again I wil never do it.I only keep what i'll re read eventually anyway.

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments So my husband and I have this arrangement -- he cuts articles from the newspaper that he thinks I should know about or be interested in and I tell him about the books (no he is not a book reader) I am reading and try to entice him. Got him to read two books last year (so, okay, we were on planes to and from Barcelona and where can you go? and what can you do but eat? and no, he is not much of a movie watcher either, hmmmmmmmmmmm, and I love movies.) We really do have some things in common, really.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Everyone I live with is a bookaholic! I have it great. We share books a lot, too - there's a huge bookshelf of newly acquired books that we think more than one of us might be interested in, in the dining room.

We egg each other on about getting new books, too. We are incorrigible! I think we own at least 3,000 books.

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) I have no SO, my 9 year old tries to read some and my 17 year old is forced to read. He used to love reading, now -- not so much since he is forced to do so much. My mom also tries to read some. I'm the only one out of my friends that reads a lot of books. The excuse I hear all the time is "I don't have any time, between work and kids...". I do most of my reading during my morning/afternoon commute, I sometimes read before bed but not too often. Luckily there is no one in my ear saying "Why do you read so much." That can be annoying.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Lori your rubbing off on him. Next thing you know he will be on GR's.

message 42: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Aw, some lovely stories on here. <3
My boyfriend (of one year who bought me a tiffany's ring as an anniversary present)is a former bookworm. Over summer vacation when we had time between our jobs to read, he got into re-reading Redwall and also reading some John Grisam. We've also gone to various library booksales together. He has a giant bookshelf in his room, mostly filled with Geology books since his major is Geology, so the boy is into his rocks. He never complains about my reading. In fact he fully encourages it, especially when a Columbus Crew soccer game is on, or when the Raiders or the NJ Nets are playing.
Basically, as he said, when he graduates and has a real job and has some time on his hands, he plans on getting back into books again. Oh and we discussed having a house with a study that is wall to wall books, like on the movies. :-P

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments My parents were both readers, so they always encouraged me to read (although I think they were a little concerned when it got to be all I was doing. Oh well)
I constantly have a novel in my bag and I usually have a non-fiction something that I work through slowly when I need a break from fiction. My husband is not much of a reader. He does read when he feels like it. Mostly philosophy and theology or gaming books (and he always has a "bathroom book" stashed on next to the toilet). Although lately he has taken to devouring anything to do with Irish history and folklore. And we both read a bit of manga. So neither of us ever discourages a trip to the book store. ^^

message 44: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Hi,

We have a study, and most of the books are my husband's. He's not a recreational reader, but does read to support his many hobbies. So we have field guides to birds and and rocks and insects, and LOTS of books and journals on coins. His is a reference collection he dips into when he needs to check a fact or detail.

I'm the readaholic, and I ready 99% fiction. My books come from the library, which is a good thing, otherwise we wouldn't have room to live.

We've started one tradition this summer that we had never done before. If I find a nonfiction book that interests both of us, I read a chapter or two out loud in the evening before we go to sleep. We've been together over 30 years now, and we've found this to be a new way to bond. One book had to do with librarianship in a California library (so he could see that my work stories aren't unique) and the other was Hats and Eyeglasses, which had a great review on NPR.

So yes, we are both readers in our own ways, sometimes together, and sometimes on our own.

And I love the story of two people meeting over Dewey decimal numbers! Sigh.

JG (Introverted Reader) Most of my family are pretty avid readers. I get a lot of good recommendations from two aunts and my sister.

My husband is not a reader. He would like to be and he loves that I am, but he's just not. His goal was to read one book each month this year, but he's had to start taking some online classes for work, so that's fallen by the wayside. He did tear through Harry Potter 6 & 7 though! Pretty impressive!

He encourages my reading and listens to me rattle on about whatever book I'm currently excited about. He always buys me books for birthdays and holidays. But this is my favorite story about him.

I saw online that Leif Enger was supposed to be coming to a local bookstore. I was hugely disappointed because I love Leif Enger and I was scheduled to work the night he was supposed to be coming. So what does my husband do? Sneaks my copies of Peace Like a River and So Brave, Young, and Handsome out of the house and heads over to the bookstore to get them signed for me. Of course, it turned out that it was a mistake and Leif Enger wasn't really going to be there, but what a hugely thoughtful thing for him to do! But that's really just how he always is. I'm a lucky girl...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Nadine, I really like your story.

message 47: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Thank you, Jeremy.

message 48: by Nawar (new)

Nawar (nawaralq) | 173 comments My boyfriend thinks I'm a geek :)
Maybe it's because I majored in Mass Communication/Advertising and he chose Criminal Investigative Studies..

The tables have turned though, I told him about a book I was reading today and he actually asked to have it when I was done reading.
I think my inner geek rubbed off on him!

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 501 comments JG, how sweet that was of your husband!

message 50: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (klonk) My boyfriend (whom I live with actually) is just as crazy about books as I am, just that we read different types of books. Sometimes the ask the other to read something that we've really enjoyed, so we share the love for books. :)

« previous 1