Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Winter Gardening Themed Group Read?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Dec 31, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Is anyone interested in doing a gardening themed group read that would end on or about the first day of Spring? If enough are interested, I'll ask for nominations but for now I'm just trying to see how many would like to participate before we get into titles. (I've found the best kinds of books for our gardening themed group reads are fiction novels in which gardening plays a large part and memoirs where gardening plays a large part; how-to's haven't worked well for group reads).

Just let me know here if you'd be interested.

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri | 480 comments I'm interested!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Great Terri!

I'll be including a link to this in the January Happenings newsletter I hope to get out over the weekend to spread the word.

message 4: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I'll probably do this one. I missed doing it the last time.

message 5: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments I'm inclined, though getting hold of the title might be problematical... lets see what comes to pass... or anyone travelling in-out of the desert! The post here is a disaster!

message 6: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Harvey wrote: "I'm inclined, though getting hold of the title might be problematical... lets see what comes to pass... or anyone travelling in-out of the desert! The post here is a disaster!"

Hope you can join us!

message 7: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Hope so Cheryl! Polk is arriving with a friend so I'm set up for at least one Goodreads history group read... Hope it works with gardening!

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Harvey wrote: "Hope so Cheryl! Polk is arriving with a friend so I'm set up for at least one Goodreads history group read... Hope it works with gardening!"

Must be difficult to not be able to go to a library or store and find what you want. Have you ever tried ordering off of Amazon? With you mail issues that might not work so well either.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 28 comments I'm interested.

It does depend on the title, though. Our library stopped purchasing new books last year due to budget cuts so the only recent works they have are things that were donated. If it's something I can get on audio download through the Ohio ebook project or one I have on my TBR shelf then I'm absolutely in!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Once I see we have enough people interested I'll ask for nominations then create a poll for us to vote on. Hopefully it will work out for you either by nominating a fiction or nonfiction title you have access too (no how-to books though) or you'll have access to the titles nominated/title chosen. :-)

message 11: by James (last edited Jan 05, 2011 07:03AM) (new)

James | 11 comments "Our library stopped purchasing new books last year due to budget cuts" AAHHHRRRGGG!!! Great, cut funding to the library!! THAT will put the city budget back right! ANYWAY, how about Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden by Eleanor Perenyi for a winter read? I just checked and Amazon, may they live forever, has at least 9 for under five bucks on the used section. You guys reseach this and let me know.

message 12: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jan 05, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Once I create the nominations thread James, feel free to nominate that title and I'll include it in the poll I will create for us to vote on once everyone who wants to nominate a title does so. We're not doing nom's just yet; I wanted to guage interest before asking for nom's. Next week I'll create a nom's thread.

message 13: by James (new)

James | 11 comments That works for me Jo.

message 14: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Cheryl S. wrote: "Harvey wrote: "Hope so Cheryl! Polk is arriving with a friend so I'm set up for at least one Goodreads history group read... Hope it works with gardening!"

Must be difficult to not be able to go..."

Well... yes... and if it does get here, to get through customs takes....
Hence a personal courier is THE way!

message 15: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Harvey wrote: "Cheryl S. wrote: "Harvey wrote: "Hope so Cheryl! Polk is arriving with a friend so I'm set up for at least one Goodreads history group read... Hope it works with gardening!"

Must be difficult to n..."

Wow, we are so spoiled here, stop in at almost any convenience store and you can find a book, make a few clicks on the computer and a book appears in the mail, etc.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Please post noms here after reading my initial post in the thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Thanks!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Due to the lack of nominations in the thread I linked to above, I'm disappointed to announce that we are not going to have a Winter group read this year.

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri | 480 comments Jo: I don't know about everyone else but I shied away from voting because as of right now I'm not in a position to commit to leading a group read. I haven't said much about it but my mother-in-law has been in and out of the hospital for the last three months and we just had to place her in a convalescent home. Most of my free time is taken up with taking care of her needs/wants and driving back and forth. And I have two teenage sons who require some level of care still too. (You would think they would be done with me wouldn't you?) And then there's the garden. Sheesh. Anyway, sometime in the future when things settle down, I would be more than happy to lead a read. :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) No worries Terri! I didn't even get a poll up for members to vote on. Several said they were interested so then I opened the noms thread but no response. Not a problem at all!!! I don't want anyone to feel they have to participate in something they truly don't want to. I'm unable to lead every group read because I moderate & participate in other groups here on goodreads plus I'm involved with 2 in-person bookclubs that meet every month - then with my health & life in general, I'm just not able to lead them all anymore.

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's situation! I know how exhausting the day to day is; we went through it with my Nana and sister-in-law. Mom, aunt and father-in-law aren't near that yet & pray they never are but, well... Be good to yourself and be well! (It's easy to forget to take care of ourselves in the midst of family crisis).

message 20: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I can heartily recommend Hospice. When my MR cousin, who was living with me so I could take care of him, developed a terminal brain tumor, we got Hospice help. They were wonderful. Came to help with his bathing, monitoring him AND me, and when it was clear to them that I needed a break recommended he go for respite to the nursing home. I was totally against it, until he left, then I realized how stressed out I was. He spent five days there, actually went in to the coma there, but they brought him home, (his vital signs showed how he relaxed when he got home, even though in a coma) and he passed on here a couple of weeks later. They were great.

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri | 480 comments Miriam and Jo: Thanks for the encouraging words. Yeah, my Dad also went through hospice when he died. I noticed the same thing--once they moved him from the hospital to the hospice he was very calm and all of his vitals showed it. They were wonderful and sooo caring! My MIL is at a stage where no one knows or can give us an answer of how long she has. The Dr.'s probably don't know. She's conscious, able to talk, sharp, but so weak she is on unable to get up and go to the bathroom on her own or even use a porta-potty. If she could do that, I'd bring her home in a second. She's such a lovely woman, like a second mother to me. She has so many things wrong with her: Myelo-fibrosis (a blood disorder)cancer cells in her lungs from asbestos, high blood pressure, you name it, it's going. I wish I had a timetable. If I knew she didn't have longer than a year, we'd use her money to pay for a private nurse at home. Hospice won't come in until you have a six-month period before death. Sigh. So we wait and hope for better days. Meanwhile, it is very stressful so we moved her closer to where we live so it's easier for us to get back and forth to see her. Before we were traveling about an hour each way. Now it's 5-10 minutes. Hallelujah! But let's face it, nobody wants to be in a nursing home. :(

message 22: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam wrote: "I can heartily recommend Hospice. When my MR cousin, who was living with me so I could take care of him, developed a terminal brain tumor, we got Hospice help. They were wonderful. Came to help wi..."

Hospice and HomeCare are wonderful things. Both of my parents recieved care in that way at the end of their lives and it was great having "partners" in the process.

message 23: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Terri wrote: "Miriam and Jo: Thanks for the encouraging words. Yeah, my Dad also went through hospice when he died. I noticed the same thing--once they moved him from the hospital to the hospice he was very c..."

For your own physical and mental health it sounds like you are doing the best thing for now. Maybe with care she can regain some strength and be able to come home with the assistance of HomeCare.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's so sad, heartbreaking to watch someone we love go through all of that. Sending love & prayers Terri!

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri | 480 comments Thanks Cheryl and Jo. Yes it is hard to watch. I'm thankful that she isn't in any pain. I don't know if I could take that. I appreciate your kindness and prayers.

message 26: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Be sure to take care of yourself during this time. My thoughts are with you, Terri.

message 27: by Terri (new)

Terri | 480 comments Thanks Miriam. This little group and reading books are my moments of relaxation.

message 28: by Erika (new)

Erika Oh Terri that's rough. I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you as well.

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri | 480 comments Thanks Erika. :)