Outlander Series discussion

Archived > The Exile

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 56 comments I just finished reading the graphic novel. I love the pictures but sometimes the text seemed a little sparse. I did like the included internal dialog. What do you think about this graphic novel?

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I loved it for what it was. Alot of others didn't like it.

message 3: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments I agree! I never thought I would like it, but I ended up really liking it.

message 4: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I did like it and hate it all the same!! I lacked DG charm... I'm glad i did not pay full price but am glad to have it for my outlander collection.

message 5: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments I agree w/ Leea. I thought it lacked attention to detail and depth of her other books and was put together in a rush.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 56 comments I agree with Leea. It lacked the charm of her books. I think that is partially due to the nature of the beast. Graphic novels rely more on the combination of the story told by the text and the one told by the pictures and their interaction with each other. I do think that the book as a whole would have been so much better with a few more panels given to character development.

message 7: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments That was my first and last Graphic Novel...:)

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) | 34 comments Leea, what if there's another graphic novel from the Outlander series? ;)

I liked it. And it looks good in my Diana Gabaldon collection! lol

I wonder what the beast will bring to the plot?!

message 9: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments yeah i would buy another outlander series graphic novel... just for my collection. ha!! I'm really glad you liked it Alex! I wonder that as well... we will see.

message 10: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'll get another Diana Gabaldon Graphic Novel.

message 11: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments I finished it last night, it was a X-mas present from my mom, it was an ok Jamie and Claire fix. However, I had trouble following it because the faces for each character were so different throughout the scenes and then again the faces of the male characters very similar... Jamie's face was weird in many of the scenes too. Anyway, I have a question,***SPOILERS***
why do you think Kenneth time traveled a couple of hours after Gellis but arrived 10 years? later... Or did I misunderstand?

message 12: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 56 comments I was wondering that too, I was really confused. And I agree with your thoughts on the faces, I've been having trouble following as well for that same reason. And Jamie's face does look very weird in a lot of the scenes, almost like a totally different person and I think he looks older. I've been taking my time reading it because I'm re-reading Outlander right now so I thought I'd read The Exile at the same time, and as I finish sections of Outlander, I read those sections in The Exile. I like seeing it illustrated, even though I was afraid that I'd see the illustrations in my head in place of how I've always pictured the characters...it hasn't happened yet, thank goodness!

message 13: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Jacki wrote: "I was wondering that too, I was really confused. And I agree with your thoughts on the faces, I've been having trouble following as well for that same reason. And Jamie's face does look very weird ..."

Good for you!

message 14: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's not uncommon. It happened with the Native Americans from the future too. They all went at the same time but we know that Otter-Tooth showed up like 20 years before Donner did.

It has to do with steering. They were using gems, whereas Claire was focused on Jamie when she went back through the second time.

message 15: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Thanks for the reminder! I didn't remember the Native Americans... Still find it confusing though.

message 16: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I find it interesting that thinking of Jamie took her back to exactly 20 years later (give or take). It could have taken her to him as a young man again... now wouldn't THAT have been interesting.

message 17: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments Wendy wrote: "I find it interesting that thinking of Jamie took her back to exactly 20 years later (give or take). It could have taken her to him as a young man again... now wouldn't THAT have been interesting."

But bumping into herself might have been awkward . . .

message 18: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments The graphic novel is like a Jamie and Claire Happy Meal. It's Ok if you need a quick fix, but definitely not the fine dining experience one enjoys with a complete DG novel.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) | 34 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "The graphic novel is like a Jamie and Claire Happy Meal. It's Ok if you need a quick fix, but definitely not the fine dining experience one enjoys with a complete DG novel."

Agree with you... you have no idea!!!!!

message 20: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 295 comments One thing that is intersting to me (speaking of Kenneth) is how most of the male travelers in the series end up having violence done to them or dying, but the women seem to find a way to fit it. Do you think that's an accurate picture of how it would be?

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) | 34 comments The thought never occured to me...
Even in Outlander, Claire is thinking why in legends it was 200 years before and always women...
Interesting, though!

message 22: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Well she couldn't have. Roger proved that when he went back to in time to his father and almost died becuse Roger was alive in that time period.

I guess I was just thinking it was lucky she didn't go back earlier then she did.

message 23: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Wendy wrote: "Well she couldn't have. Roger proved that when he went back to in time to his father and almost died becuse Roger was alive in that time period.

I guess I was just thinking it was lucky she d..."

When did Roger go back to his father? Is it in the short story?

message 24: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments No... it was in Voyager. So don't read further if you didn't read that one yet... He didn't acutally go. He was thinking of his father when he first stepped through the stones and the stones took him to the time period that Roger was thinking of him, which was Rogers own childhood. Apparently your soul can't exist twice in the same time period so the stone ejected him and he was on fire. Right? I think I'm remembering this right.

message 25: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Wow! I can't remember anything about that. I've read the whole series and now I'm listening to it (a completely different experience, btw--love it!). I'm actually at Voyager, so I'll pay attention. Thank you for clarifying this. :)

message 26: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments I didn't like the graphic novel...didn't really like the artwork and agree the dialogue was too sparse...didn't add anything to the series for me. But, had to own it like all of the series as am and always will be an Outlander Addict.

message 27: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Wendy wrote: "No... it was in Voyager. So don't read further if you didn't read that one yet... He didn't acutally go. He was thinking of his father when he first stepped through the stones and the stones took..."

Sorry, the scene you are describing is not in Voyager, it is in the next book, DOA.

@ Lety, message 23: for details look at "miscellaneous: Leaf in the wind"

message 28: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oh that's right. It was in Drums that Bree makes her trip back to find her mom.

Thanks!

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna Callea | 9 comments I didn't care for it at all.

message 30: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Totally didn't care for it. It was kind of dumb, and the artwork was awful.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Yeah I agree Latinlandish, I thought it was pretty pointless... I couldn’t tell the characters apart in the pictures as they all looked the same, and the dialogue was so minimal. I found it boring and it didn’t really add anything to the story in my opinion!

message 32: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments It really amazes me that DG permitted such a travesty of the story.

I just hope DG won't allow for the same stupidity if Outlander ever gets translated into a movie!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 56 comments My understanding from listening to several different authors is that it is unusual to have control of your story when it is made into a movie. Whe DG has spoken about this I think she said that she only has a couple of clauses about the look of Jamie and maybe what Claire looks like.

message 34: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I think that there are ways around it though, depending on how much time the author wants to put into the movie. JK Rowling made sure she had a big say in the making and casting of HP.

Diana also says that she doesn't have the time to take that much of a role in the movie. Which is completely understandable.

message 35: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Ok, question. Does The Exile exist in the ebook format?

message 36: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 56 comments I looked for it for my nook color and couldn't find it. I'm not sure if it's available for a Kindle. I did get a really good deal at Border's because I had a 40 or 50% coupon and then Border's bucks on top of my member discount, so if you're a member at a book store that could always help!

message 37: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Yeah, well I live in Serbia. Only the books 1-3 in the Outlander series have been published, so I had to rely on the ebooks to get me through, so the chances of finding a graphic novel are slim to none.

message 38: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Aww, that stinks. Alot of people said that they weren't fond of it. More people then who liked it. So maybe you're not missing out.

You could order it from Amazon, but I bet the shipping would be alot.

message 39: by LH (new)

LH | 17 comments Just finished The Exile, borrowed from the library, and was glad I resisted the temptation to buy it on Amazon a few weeks ago. I liked it fine, but did not love it. It added some interesting dimensions to the characters; Murtagh was way hotter than Claire's description in Outlander, but then again, these are the events from Murtagh's POV. Or maybe Claire only had eyes for Jamie?

I have read through Drums of Autumn (#4) and am on Fiery Cross (#5) and I am wondering if Kenneth re-appears elsewhere in the series? Anyone know?

message 40: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Nope, he's only in The Exile.

message 41: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Who is Kenneth?

message 42: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments You didn't read the Graphic Novel, Mimi?

He supposed came through the stones before Claire did the first time. He was connected to Geillis.

message 43: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Wendy F wrote: "You didn't read the Graphic Novel, Mimi?

He supposed came through the stones before Claire did the first time. He was connected to Geillis."

No, it doesn't exist in an electric form and it isn't available in Serbia in its original form.

Is he relevant to the story?

message 44: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oh, I totally remember us talking about that.

He's not really relevant to the story. I loved the way she fit him in and stuff, but I felt like it was obvious that it was stuff thought of later. Murtagh saw Kenneth coming through the stones before Claire and he thought they were together and they were auld folk. This leads to him secretly trying to kill Claire in her sleep, but stopping when he remembered that Jamie was in love with her. It was pretty fun to think about it like that.

message 45: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Well that's a very different Murtagh. I mean, reading the book, I totally didn't get a feeling he was thinking of murder. I did figure out he was in love with Ellen, from the bracelets.

message 46: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments He was going to do it because he thought that Claire was a witch and that she had woven Jamie into her clutches. He thought he was saving him. Either way, he didn't end up doing it and snuck away with Claire none the wiser.

message 47: by Teresita (last edited Jun 08, 2011 07:28AM) (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments I love the graphic novel, even though some pictures of Jamie look odd to me, it gives me an idea of how the people dressed then, etc...and is how I saw Jamie in my mind even before I saw the pictures. I admit somethings didn't coincide with the book. For example like when Jack Randall tried to rape Claire and Jamie came in to save her,according to the book she was tied up and in the graphic book she wasn't,and was she hitting him.

message 48: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I didn't even notice that Teresita, lol. I tend to not notice those inconsistencies, but you are so right.

I actually am really glad I got the graphic novel, too. Though I know most people didn't like it.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 292 comments I didn't care for it at all and sold mine back to the book store. Claire looked like Betty Boop in many pictures (or Dolly P)and she was never described in the books as bulging over the top of her dresses. It was hard to figure out who was talking in some cases. It just didn't do it for me.