Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

27 views
Monthly "Reads" > sherry's december reads

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments finished the year with 80 books which is typical for me. i read more kindle books this year than last year, though.

Cross Fire- james patterson
Mockingjay- suzanne collins- i loved the end to this trilogy. actually i was surprised how much i liked all 3 books in the series!
Catching Fire- suzanne collins
Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship- gail caldwell- touching memoir
Lakeshore Christmas- susan wiggs- predictable but a fun read
To Fetch a Thief- spencer quinn - another fun but predictable read by quinn
Starter for Ten: A Novel- david nichols-i won this from goodreads and wanted to like it, but it just didn't do it for me. i didn't finish it.
A Secret Kept- tatiana derosnay- my last read of the year. not as good as sarah's key but still an enjoyable book


message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments What was your Kindle vs Real books ratio?


message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Barry wrote: "What was your Kindle vs Real books ratio?"

53 "real books" and 26 kindle books (you can do the math...LOL). last year i didn't make a shelf specifically for kindle books so not sure what the exact number was.


message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Sherry, based on you recommendation, I've started listening to the Hunger Games and I'm loving it! Thanks for getting me to read outside of my box, so to speak!


message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Marcy wrote: "Sherry, based on you recommendation, I've started listening to the Hunger Games and I'm loving it! Thanks for getting me to read outside of my box, so to speak!"

so glad you are enjoying it, marcy. if my 7th graders weren't reading it, i'd have never picked it up. am so glad i did!


message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments I'll finish THE HUNGER GAMES tonight. I've had it in The Pile for awhile as a friend on another board has been after me to read it for awhile now. I'm not usually one for the whole dystopian thing, but this is a good read.


message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Good month and yearly count Sherry - especially the Kindle total of 26 books! I am also planning on reading The Hunger Games soon. I read the Kindle sample and was hooked so took the plunge and bought it and have it in the queue! Maybe next year my Kindle vs. real books ratio will be higher. I am lining them up to be ready anyway! ;)


message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1229 comments Too bad about Starter for Ten: A Novel. I remember watching a bit of the movie that was based on this book on either BBC America or PBS and thought it might be something to look into.

I too have downloaded the audio version of The Hunger Games and am looking forward to listening to it sometime soon.


message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Sandi wrote: "Too bad about Starter for Ten: A Novel. I remember watching a bit of the movie that was based on this book on either BBC America or PBS and thought it might be something to look into..."

sandi-
you might like it. for me, i think it could have been a "mood" thing, so don't not read it based on my review. from your book lists each month, you and i seem to like different kinds of books- usually i haven't even heard of half of the books you read...LOL
if i hadn't given starter for 10 to my son's girlfriend, i'd have sent it to you.


message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Ann wrote: "Good month and yearly count Sherry - especially the Kindle total of 26 books! I am also planning on reading The Hunger Games soon. I read the Kindle sample and was hooked so took the plunge and bou..."

thanks, ann. about average for me this year. my first year with the kindle , only read about 10 or so books, i think which is why i didn't make a separate kindle folder for them. seems that the longer i own it, the more books i want to read on it.


message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments I know what you mean Sherry! As I walked the aisles of the bookstores this Christmas all I could think was make a note to go look for books I liked on my Kindle.
Sherry wrote: " my first year with the kindle , only read about 10 or so books, i think which is why i didn't make a separate kindle folder for them. seems that the longer i own it, the more books i want to read on it."


message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Ann wrote: "I know what you mean Sherry! As I walked the aisles of the bookstores this Christmas all I could think was make a note to go look for books I liked on my Kindle.
Sherry wrote: " my first year wit..."


i use my kindle as my "TBR"..LOL
i add sample chapters of all the books i want to read to it and put them in a folder called "samples"


message 13: by Ann (last edited Jan 02, 2011 12:33AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Sherry:
I have a sample collection (folder)too! And I have decided to also make a collection for books I want to buy on the Kindle, but plan to wait to see if the price drops rather than buy sooner than I want to read one and find later the price dropped. ;)
That didn't save me from buying Water for Elephants so DD could read it on her new Kindle and the price dropped to $5 a few days later, though.
Sherry wrote: "i use my kindle as my "TBR"..LOL
i add sample chapters of all the books i want to read to it and put them in a folder called "samples" ."



message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry:
I have a sample collection (folder)too! And I have decided to also make a collection for books I want to buy on the Kindle, but plan to wait to see if the price drops rather than buy sooner..."


oh that's a good idea for a folder, ann. i think i'll make one of those, too ;)


message 15: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I'm am doing the sample folder thing too...I just have them further split up into mystery samples, romance samples, nonfiction, fiction, etc.

Also now I have a nook as well as a Kindle so I think I will add shelves on my GR so I can have totals for Nooks reads, Kindle reads and regular books. Should be interesting at the end of the year.


message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments I love the Sample Folder idea - thank you! I received my Kindle as a gift in August and have been slow to get started on it---relunctant to give up my free library books. But after receiving a some genereous gift cards to Amazon...I see myself using it more and more too! I'll use it to purchase some older books to help me get caught up in some recommended series here, and then still use the library for those expensive books. I did read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo on it and have just started the second book. Nice to be able to easily tote around a large book on just the Kindle.


message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Liz:
That will be very interesting! (I do love to talk eBooks!) We look forward to hearing all about it - I am especially curious to hear how you like getting library books on your Nook!
LizH wrote: "Also now I have a nook as well as a Kindle so I think I will add shelves on my GR so I can have totals for Nooks reads, Kindle reads and regular books. Should be interesting at the end of the year. "


message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Dawn: I could have written this post! My first finished Kindle book was The Girl Who Played with Fire and then I added a ton of free books and samples and have several that I have bought in progress on the Kindle now. I am still addicted to the library for new releases, I just can't justify the cost of buying some of them unless I just can't wait.

. Dawn wrote: "...have been slow to get started on it---relunctant to give up my free library books. ...and then still use the library for those expensive books. I did read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo on it and have just started the second book. Nice to be able to easily tote around a large book on just the Kindle. "


message 19: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I haven't yet downloaded a book to my Nook yet. I just downloaded a book from the library to my computer, now I have to figure out how to get it to my Nook. I hope it's easy!! I will let you know.

I haven't been overly impressed with the selection of library books out there, but I do like the freebies that B&N gives out. So far I have read one book on my Nook, but that was before the 31st of December so it doesn't count for this years total.

I am reading Girl With The Dragon Tattoo now on my Kindle, and then I think I will go lighten things up with the newest Robyn Carr on my Nook. I have also just started the Dixie Hemingway series but the 1st, 4th and 5th are in ebook format, so I have to get the 2nd and 3rd from the library.


message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Thanks Liz! How odd for them to skip around the books like that on eBook format!
LizH wrote: "I haven't yet downloaded a book to my Nook yet. I just downloaded a book from the library to my computer, now I have to figure out how to get it to my Nook. I hope it's easy!! I will let you know. ...I have also just started the Dixie Hemingway series but the 1st, 4th and 5th are in ebook format, so I have to get the 2nd and 3rd from the library."


message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jan 03, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments Liz and Ann,

I am listening to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next and also reading along on my Kindle. The Kindle version is great for highlighting character names so if I don't remember who they are when they re-surface I can easily go back and look.

LizH wrote: "I am reading Girl With The Dragon Tattoo now on my Kindle,. ..."


message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Carol:
I need to start using the highlight feature on my Kindle. I was unable to do that with the Larsson books as I didn't think about it with book two which I did read mostly on the Kindle and only listened to book three. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I am listening to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Next and also reading along on my Kindle. The Kindle version is great for highlighting character names so if I don't remember who they are when they re-surface I can easily go back and look."


back to top