The History Book Club discussion

ARCHIVE > LAURA'S 50 BOOKS READ IN 2011

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) JANUARY

1. The Mighty & the Almighty Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs by Madeleine Albright Madeleine Albright Madeleine Albright

Finish Date: January 2, 2011
Rating: A+

This book was a page-turner. Madeleine Albright is an excellent communicator and educator. I found it very difficult to put down. After 9/11, I searched in vain for a book that could somehow replace shock and grief with some kind of understanding. History was a difficult subject for me, and I gave up in despair at finding a book that wouldn't talk down to me, and yet wasn't over my head either. Over nine years later, I found it.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. I'm thankful the library also has her memoirs, Madam Secretary A Memoir by Madeleine Albright , and I hope to get to this one this month as well.

message 2: by Laura (last edited Jan 16, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) PS - If any of you has read this or decides to, will you give me your opinion? I'd love to get the take of someone who is already fairly well-versed on the topic. I feel that she covered lots of ground that would be interesting even to someone more knowledgeable, but I'd love to know for sure.

message 3: by Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) 2. The World According to Bertie (44 Scotland Street, #4) by Alexander McCall Smith Alexander McCall Smith Alexander McCall Smith

Finish Date: January 15, 2011
Rating: B-

I really enjoy this author's style, and the fact that his books are always clean and for the most part, upbeat. This is the fourth in his 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street, #1) by Alexander McCall Smith 44 Scotland Street series, and I think it's the weakest of the series so far. The third was the best though, in my opinion. I really love his stuff. Time reading him is never wasted.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) 3. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene Graham Greene Graham Greene

Finish Date: January 16, 2011

I had mixed feelings about this one. I enjoyed it, but the main character really frustrated me. This was my first Greene, and I really enjoyed his turns of phrase, and minor characters too. Definitely worth a try.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 26, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Laura, good job on format, fine. But please fix one thing in all four. Instead of Finished the standard and format has Finish Date:

Once you have fixed that, everything is perfect.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Just when I thought I had it right! ;)

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Laura, now everything is fine. Thank you. This is also great practice on how to do citations anywhere on the site.

message 8: by Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2011 01:28PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) You're welcome. Does this mean I have a chance to suggest Madeleine Albright Madeleine Albright's books to you? I'm reading her memoirs now. Have you read it by chance? Madam Secretary A Memoir by Madeleine Albright

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I am not sure what you mean. Do you want to recommend it as a spotlighted read (we could put in on the list to be voted for).

message 10: by Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2011 03:34PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I just figured while you were in here, maybe I could suggest a good read for you. You liked Clinton, so I thought you might enjoy one of Albright's books. Madeleine Albright . I'd be curious to get your opinion of one of hers.

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 27, 2011 04:03PM) (new)

I will put in on my to read list..always liked Albright. Thanks.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Sure!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) 4. Great House by Nicole Krauss Nicole Krauss Nicole Krauss

Finish Date: January 19, 2011
Rating: A

This is the first book I bought for my new Nook, and I loved it. A very smooth read. I recommend you take notes while reading this. I did not, and so I still need to tie it all together. This one will be a joy to re-read.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) 5. American Sphinx The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis Joseph J. Ellis Joseph J. Ellis

Finish Date: January 29, 2011
Rating: B

This was an A+ in parts and a C or B- in (other, brief) parts. Not a biography of Jefferson per se, but rather a snapshot of his life at important moments. Overall, I enjoyed it. Ellis is not afraid to point out anyone's flaws. I found that out when I read His Excellency George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis late last year.

message 15: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Laura wrote: "5. American Sphinx The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. EllisJoseph J. EllisJoseph J. Ellis

Finish Date: January 29, 2011
Rating: B

This was an A+ in pa..."

Glad you liked this one. It was pretty interesting for me, too. It gave you a human element to TJ.

message 16: by Laura (last edited Jan 31, 2011 06:39AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks Bryan. I'd like to read more about Jefferson, but as I learn about the Founding Fathers, I'm sure I will. I'm reading Empire of Liberty A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815 by Gordon S. Wood Gordon S. Wood Gordon S. Wood, so of course he's coming up a lot.

I'm really curious about Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow Ron Chernow as well. May start this one soon. Hamilton seems like a fascinating guy, and having read several pp of that book, it looks interesting!

message 17: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I hear nothing but excellent things on his book:

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh excellent! So good to know. And that Ron Chernow is not a bad looking guy! I'd never know that except on this site, we post author photos! lol Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 19: by John (last edited Jan 31, 2011 07:38PM) (new)

John E | 105 comments The Hamilton book is a great read. Big, like all of Ron Chernow Ron Chernow's books but well worth the time.

message 20: by Laura (last edited Feb 01, 2011 02:29AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks John! I think it'll be my next bio. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 21: by John (last edited Feb 04, 2011 10:06PM) (new)

John E | 105 comments I have his biography of John D. Rockefeller Titan The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow Ron Chernow lurking on my shelf daring me to start reading. I need to get through a couple of other large books first

message 22: by Laura (last edited Feb 05, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Browsing the Hamilton bio Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow , the writing looks superb. I think I'd definitely be interested in reading others by Chernow. Ron Chernow . I'll be curious what you'll think John.Ron Chernow

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I didn't know if that was necessary, due to all the prior posts were about the same author and title Bentley. Thanks for clarifying.

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 05, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Laura, it is unfortunately necessary because of the rules and guidelines where we have to be consistent; however, in your case; it was being discussed by many which usually does not happen. I can understand your not knowing considering the circumstances. No worries.

Thanks always for your cooperation.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) You're welcome, Bentley.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) FEBRUARY

6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Stieg Larsson Stieg Larsson

Finish Date: February 9, 2011

There was a very interesting mystery here with some unexpected twists. Also the female main character is awesome, I love her. However, I could do without the extreme violence, including animal mutilation, sadism, it wasn't pretty. Also some gratuitous sex. Without all that, it would have been an easy A for me.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) 7. What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson Richard Matheson Richard Matheson

Finish Date: February 12, 2011
Rating: A+

Terrific book about the afterlife, and the power of love. Highly recommended. This book is not preachy or religious, but it really makes you think and is well worth your while.