100+ Books in 2022 discussion

2011 Lists > Melissa's 100+ (Hoping for 125) for 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) My 2011 Book List

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jan 01, 2011 11:38AM) (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) Off to a good start!
1. Belle De Jour: Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl 294 pages, Finished 1-1-11

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 2. The Friday Night Knitting Club372 pages, Finished 1-2-11. Keeping up well here so far...

message 4: by Melissa (last edited Jan 06, 2011 07:55PM) (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 3. Tristan's Gap by Nancy Rue 354 pages, finished January 6th

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 5. The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé 292 pages, finished January 16th. I enjoyed this, it was nice, and had good elements of magic without being campy or cliche

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 6.Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More 238 pages, finished January 19th
I found this book to be very repetitive and a little to much of a marketing campaign for my liking.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 7. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin 271 pages, finished January 19th.
I can't believe I finished two books in one day, to begin with, I never usually get ta chance to read so much but I had to finish this one so I could return it to the library. It was nice. The plot wasn't blown out of proportion or overly dramatic like I had thought it might end up being.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 8. Room by Emma Donoghue 321 pages Finished January 23rd.
This was a really well told story. I'm hoping to write a more thorough review of it soon.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 9. Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs 268 pages finished January 25.
The author is very witty, and at times, very cruel. This was a nice mix of autobiographical essays.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 10. Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult 453 pages finished February 7
Being on vacation cut into my reading time. You would think it would add to it, but I've been hanging out with my family and playing with my niece since I haven't seen them in six months.
This book was typical Picoult fare, her books are really formulaic, but yet I keep reading them. And I have another to occupy me during my 12 hour layover tomorrow so even though they are formulaic I obviously don't mind that much because I keep going back

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 11. Knit Two by Kate Jacobs 320 pages, finished February 15th.
I feel a connection to the characters but some of the main characters seemed to fall to the wayside and minor characters were brought in to fill their spots so it was a bit odd in that respect.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 12. Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch 241 pages, finished February 20th.
Descriptive imagery but the plot jumped around too much for me to really like it a lot.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 13. Zach's Lie by Roland Smith 211 pages, finished February 21st.
A simple read, a bit predictable, but very good for the younger crowd it's intended for.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 14. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 288 pages, finished February 23
This is an excellent book. The dual narrative is really well done and I really felt the emotions of both main characters in the book. I heard somewhere that they're making a movie adaptation of this, and I just hope that whoever does it will stay true to the format and plot and not try to add other things to it, because this is perfect the way it is.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 15. 13 Little Blue Envelopes 336 pages, Finished February 26
This is a cute little adventure story

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 16. Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs 260 pages, Finished February 27
Everything seems to be pretty well wrapped up in this third book in the series, it's a nice story about love and family over the holidays.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 17. House Rules by Jodi Picoult 532 pages, Finished March 2.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 18. Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1) by Cate Tiernan 187 pages, finished March 5
This really sucked me in quickly and I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the whole series.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 19. Kate's Choice: What Love Can Do ; Gwen's Adventure in the Snow : Three Fire-Side Stories to Warm the Heart 125 pages, finished March 5.
Another day where I finished two books. This was a sweet little story about the goodness and compassion of the human spirit.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 20. The Coven (Sweep, #2) by Cate Tiernan 185 pages, finished March 5th. I'm on a reading streak today, this is my third book I've finished all in the span of less than 24 hours. Granted they've been short books but still...
This series is really heating up now and i can't wait to read the next one.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 21.The Other Boy 260 pages, finished March 15.
22. Comfort Food 355 pages, finished March 20

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 23. The Secret Hour 297 pages, finished March 26th
Love this series already and even though I know there are only three books, I wish there were more.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 24. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake 292 pages, finished March 30th
This book felt flat to me, it didn't really live up to my expectations.

message 25: by Helene (new)

Helene Gallaway (orion198) Melissa wrote: "24. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake 292 pages, finished March 30th
This book felt flat to me, it didn't really live up to my expectations."

I agree with you completely!

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) Helene wrote: "Melissa wrote: "24. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake 292 pages, finished March 30th
This book felt flat to me, it didn't really live up to my expectations."

I agree with you com..."

Thank you, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so!

message 27: by Melissa (last edited Apr 02, 2011 05:59AM) (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 25. Blood Witch (Sweep, #3) by Cate Tiernan 202 pages finished April 2
I'm liking this series very much, things are really starting to get more interesting and moving into the more personal aspects of the characters.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 26. Touching Darkness (Midnighters, #2) by Scott Westerfeld 330 pages, finished April 3
Really enjoying this series, it'll be interesting to see where it goes at the end.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 27. Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3) by Scott Westerfeld 378 pages, finished April 6
I liked the series very much. It didn't end quite how I thought it would, and this was another one that I wished would continue on.

28. One Bird's Choice by Iain Reid 251 pages, finished April 9
An interesting look at a 20 something who returns to live at home with his parents, on a farm no less.

29. Dark Magick (Wicca, #4) by Cate Tiernan 186 pages, finished April 12
This series gets better and better as I go along. This book had a lot of action in it.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 30. Awakening (Wicca, #5) by Cate Tiernan 188 pages, finished April 12

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 31. The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta 358 pages, finished April 18

There's a lot I could say about this book, but I'll just keep it simple and say it didn't end the way I thought it would.

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 32. You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again by Suzanne Hansen 304 pages, finished April 22

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 33. Spellbound (Wicca, #6) by Cate Tiernan 190 pages, finished April 23

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 34. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold 328 pages, finished April 26.

Intriguing, and well written.

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 35. Prairie Tale A Memoir by Melissa Gilbert 367 pages, finished May 3

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 36. Badass A Hard-Earned Guide to Living Life with Style and (the Right) Attitude by Shannen Doherty 256 pages, finished May 3

Nice balance of edge, and positivity, also a good mix of photos, classy and casual.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 37. Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer 498 pages, finished May 7,
I really didn't think I would like this, but I did

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 38. The Calling (Wicca, #7) by Cate Tiernan 189 pages, finished May 14th
Lots of action, and relationship drama. The time line for these events is a bit unrealistic but that's forgiveable I suppose.

39. The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright 230 pages, finished May 14th,
I won this as a goodreads first reads. It's well written but didn't really pull me in.

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 40. Scars by Cheryl Rainfield 248 pages, finished May 21
Excellent. Very powerful and well written.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 41. Secrets She Left Behind by Diane Chamberlain 490 pages, finished May 23,

Nicely done story, very connected to the theme of family even though the character family is somewhat dysfunctional

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 42. Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult 466 pages, finished June 4.

This novel dealt with a lot of complex issues in a really succinct, well written way. I didn't really enjoy the accompanying CD as much as I thought I might, but I do enjoy the concept of it.

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 43. Night Road 385 pages, finished June 5
Well written story with a lot of character growth and redemption.

44. Winter Garden 394 pages, finished June 11
I didn't mean to read two books by Kristin Hannah in a row it just happened that way. I enjoyed the stories within the story aspect of this novel.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 45. Not in the Same Breath: A Yiddish & English Book of Poetry 76 pages, finished June 12

I haven't read any books under a hundred pages this year so I don't feel too guilty adding this one. I don't read Yiddish, but I was still able to definitely appreciate the English poems, and the illustrations as well. I won this book as a Goodreads, First reads giveaway.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 46. Water for Elephants 335 pages, finished June 17
For all the hype surrounding this book, I did not end up loving it like everyone said that I would. I barely liked it, actually. The story just felt sort of flat to me.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg 280 pages, finished June 25
I identified greatly with both female characters in this novel. I really enjoy Berg's writing style, everything seems so simple, so real.

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 48. The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok 305 pages, finished June 30.

The main character seemed to be constantly searching for something in the novel. She wanted to be so far away from her mother, to stay away from the issues and the craziness, and yet at the same time it seemed like she was constantly reaching out to try and help her, all the same.

49. Spirit of the Wolf (Charmed) by Diana G. Gallagher 207 pages, finished July 2

I read this in fits and starts, overall a good story, nice easy read.

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 50. The Time of My Life by Patrick Swayze 247 pages, finished July 9
Absolutely loved this. The writing style is easygoing and laid back, it's also a good balance of Swayze's personal and professional lives. I wish I had been able to read it sooner and am really glad I have. This is a nice book to hit my halfway mark with as well!

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 51. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua 247 pages, finished July 10

This book felt somewhat negative to me, and I think some of the controversy surrounding it shaped my interpretation of it unfortunately.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 52. The Time It Snowed in Puerto Rico 215 pages, finished July 11

This reminded me a lot of House on Mango Street, just in a more cohesive story format, with, less obvious metaphors and similes.

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T (melissasmidnightmusings) 53. Fragile by Lisa Unger 327 pages, finished July 17 I thought I had this all figured out at the very beginning of the novel but I was very nicely surprised to be wrong. It's a well written story with lots of twists and turns, but there are some parts that left me wondering if they were really necessary to the story at all.

« previous 1