The Inklings discussion

The Great Divorce

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandysconnected | 4 comments Have you read The Great Divorce by CS Lewis? What did you think about his unique take on heaven and hell, and why people would choose hell?

message 2: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I loved the book. I thought it was a very good take on "heaven and hell," as could be written creatively in a book. It really made me see the ugliness of selfishness. People chose Hell, when they chose to become self absorbed or self focused.

message 3: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 6 comments This is one of Lewis's best apologetic works. Then again, I am a fully biased Lewis fan. I highly recommend it.
I also agree with Karen that it is in our nature to choose wrong over right. It is only by the grace of God that we can choose others above ourselves (love your neighbor as yourself).

message 4: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Stegall (georgieelle) | 3 comments The Great Divorce for me ranks right up there with Screwtape letters. My two favorites of Lewis's non-fiction. Don't even get me started on his fiction. *sigh of happiness*

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 17 comments I find it interesting that you classify The Great Divorce (and The Screwtape Letters, for that matter) as nonfiction.

message 6: by Madeleine (last edited Oct 18, 2014 02:51PM) (new)

Madeleine Stegall (georgieelle) | 3 comments Margaret wrote: "I find it interesting that you classify The Great Divorce (and The Screwtape Letters, for that matter) as nonfiction."
oops, I said non-fiction didn't I?
I do not wholly consider them complete fiction, though I know that technically they are.
For me, they connect so directly connected to the actual reality of the human person, that I find it hard to call them fiction. I mean. The Space Trilogy and the Chronicles of Narnia are allegorical to be sure, and very meaningful in real life, but they are decidedly 'fantastic' and very fictional. But The Great Divorce and Screwtape letters are almost like documentaries they are so accurate.
I suppose I should say that those two books come right after the Space Trilogy in CS Lewis' Fiction.
But I never really think of them that way, so it always comes out non-fiction if I am not careful. And I wasn't careful.

message 7: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Stegall (georgieelle) | 3 comments Sandysconnected wrote: "Have you read The Great Divorce by CS Lewis? What did you think about his unique take on heaven and hell, and why people would choose hell?"
MY THOUGHTS ON WHY SOME PEOPLE CHOOSE HELL:
Being small and flat is much easier in a small and flat world. To be somewhere beautiful and three dimensional; and be happy, you have to become beautiful and three dimensional inside. This is hard, it means admitting you were wrong, changing your completely moral-less and rule-less life into something with form. Submitting to God's will. Allowing him to form you, is not always easy. And many people do not want to conform, so they choose to live flat lives for their flat selves.

message 8: by Jaffrey (new)

Jaffrey Clark (jaffreyclark) | 1 comments I've read it, and would absolutely recommend it. When it comes to thinking, writing and envisioning the Christian life, or any of life in metaphor, this book is a standard in my opinion. Then again, I a huge Lewis fan (obviously).

It is also a great thought piece on Heaven and Hell, both of them being so important, and yet so abstract for our human minds.