The Macabre & Creepy Edgar Allan Poe group discussion

Yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!! 100 members!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who's joined. We are up to 100 members. Edgar would be so proud! I know I am! Welcome all members, old,and new!

Yippeeeee!!!! Discussions anyone???

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I noticed there's no introduction thread. Jason invited me. I didn't need to join another forum, but I couldn't resist Edgar.

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
WELCOME ALOHA! Join in the discussion. We have one going with THE BLACK CAT right now.

message 4: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) I was invited by Jason too. Who doesn't love some Poe? MS. Found in a Bottle is propably my favorite by him.

message 5: by Aloha (last edited Dec 31, 2010 03:28AM) (new)

Aloha Thanks, Gary.

Hey Maciek! Watch out for this Maciek. He's a trouble maker. I'm a troll today, Maciek, because my secret PNR forum decided to become trolls.

I have the complete Poe collection all read by the time I was in my teens. I guess that makes me qualified to be here. Now, I don't know how much I remember, but I'm sure this would be a good refresher.

message 6: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) Guess we all like to troll from time to time, eh? LOL I had a troll like that when I was a kid. There was a big boom for these trolls in the 90's and everybody had a bunch of them.

I hadn't read Poe in ages but I have two collections of his work. I don't think they're complete but I enjoyed what I found there.

message 7: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I guess Poe is one of a horror lover's intro to the genre, next to Stephen King.

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Speaking of horror, Project Guttenberg has a beautiful Mobi version of the complete illustrated The Divine Comedy by Dante. I'm looking at it. The illustration is terrific. I'm not sure about the translation. It does sound rhythmic, but I've read other translations that were more comprehensible.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8800

message 9: by Aloha (new)

Aloha How did I get to The Divine Comedy from Poe? I was searching for free works of Poe's, and this also popped up.

message 10: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) I've read The Divine Comedy some years back. I don't think I've made it through. Same with Milton's Paradise Lost.

message 11: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I prefer the modern english translation that they give to the students at the school. If I had to read this translation when I was in school, I wouldn't have finished it. It's a lot more fun to read Poe.

message 12: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Here are the works of Edgar Allan Poe on Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/autho...

message 13: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) Yeah, Poe knew his craft. Some of his stories are just too funny, like The Murders in the Rue Morgue. You got to hand it to the guy - he practically started the genre of detective fiction.

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha What I like about Poe is his usage of foreshadowing to create a tense expectation. He doesn't need slash and gore to make things intense. I prefer that a horror writer also uses the old fashioned devices such as foreshadowing with the new genres of horror. Splatterpunk and Bizarro is not effective if all they rely on is gore or weirdness, without the classic techniques of writing. I can see behind the forced gore or plot and realize it's mediocre writing.

message 15: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) What I like about Poe is that he embraced the short story genre and chose to write almost exclusively in it. That way he escaped the threat of long-winded boring prose with clumsy foreshadowing and could write concise tales without resorting to tedium as most of his fellow writers from the period.

message 16: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I think Poe used tons of foreshadowing, even in his short stories. By the time the climax happen, I'm ready to jump.

message 17: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) Which are your favorites by him?

I agree about the foreshadowing, my point was that the use in it is not clumsy, mostly because of the lenght of the tale. He had to restrict himself because he was publishing them in a newspaper, so the readers had to be shocked by the end.
He was not like, let's say, Hawthorne, who liked to stretch his narrative....kill the main adversary...then stretch it some more. Herman Melville is another author who loved to harp a good metaphor. I heard people died while trying to read Moby Dick and having read the thing myself I can fully understand that.

message 18: by Aloha (new)

Aloha LOL. They were eaten by a whale while they were busy reading Moby Dick. It's cliche, but my favorite is The Raven. Up until now, "Quoth the raven..." would periodically ring in my head.

I have to go. Have a great day, Maciek! Happy New Years, everyone!

message 19: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) You too. Have a great 2011.

message 20: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I hope it'll be better than 2010. I want to bury that year. One of the worst in my life.

message 21: by Aloha (new)

Aloha But then, I found Goodreads in 2010, so it's not all bad.

message 22: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) See! In 2011 we'll all end on the moon anyway, so It'll be awesome.

message 23: by Aloha (new)

Aloha 2011 is critical for me, because it ends my cycle. 2012 is the year of the Dragon, my zodiac year. The Chinese zodiac calendar is on a 12 year cycle. That's why all these extreme changes are occurring in my life, to pave the way for a new cycle of life for me in 2012.

message 24: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I'm a Leo-Dragon, Maciek. Wish me a happy birthday in August.

message 25: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) You being a Leo-Dragon might be an explanation for your cannibalistic tendencies. Well, I guess we learn every day.

message 26: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I do like Polish cuisine.

message 27: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) Damn, girl.

message 28: by Werner (new)

Werner Aloha, you and I share a birthday month (I'm a Leo as well, though I don't believe in astrology :-) ). Hope you do have a happy birthday in August, and that 2011 proves to be a lot nicer year for you than 2010 was!

message 29: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Thank you, Werner. Us Leos are sexy people, yes?

message 30: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Werner and everybody here, have a great 2011!

message 31: by Werner (new)

Werner Thanks, Aloha!

message 32: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
Happy 2011 for everyone! I can't believe it's already been 11 years since we celebrated the new millenium!

message 33: by Jason (last edited Dec 31, 2010 06:39PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 8 comments Gary wrote: "Happy 2011 for everyone! I can't believe it's already been 11 years since we celebrated the new millenium!"

That is insane, isn't it? Time moves too quickly!

Happy New Year, everyone!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Gary wrote: "Happy 2011 for everyone! I can't believe it's already been 11 years since we celebrated the new millenium!"

That is insane, isn't it? Time moves too quickly!

Happy New Year, eve..."

Happy New Year to you too! I agree..how can it be 2011 already?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Aloha wrote: "I'm a Leo-Dragon, Maciek. Wish me a happy birthday in August."

What a lucky combination. I am a Scorpio Water Rat or maybe I am an earth Rat! I forget. Soon we will be in the year of the Rabbit.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Maciek wrote: "What I like about Poe is that he embraced the short story genre and chose to write almost exclusively in it. That way he escaped the threat of long-winded boring prose with clumsy foreshadowing and..."

I like this about him too. He was definitely a genius IMO.

message 37: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Scorpio Water Rat! Sounds like a combination for the horror book. LOL

Lady Alice wrote: "Aloha wrote: "I'm a Leo-Dragon, Maciek. Wish me a happy birthday in August."

What a lucky combination. I am a Scorpio Water Rat or maybe I am an earth Rat! I forget. Soon we will be in the yea..."

message 38: by Gary (new)

Gary | 305 comments Mod
over 100,108,and counting...... so cool!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Aloha wrote: "Scorpio Water Rat! Sounds like a combination for the horror book. LOL

Lady Alice wrote: "Aloha wrote: "I'm a Leo-Dragon, Maciek. Wish me a happy birthday in August."

What a lucky combination. ..."

Yes, it does. Wish I could write.