The Black Tower discussion

What do you read?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments I know this technically doesn't have anything to do with the Wheel of Time universe, but I'm just wondering what else people read thats in the fantasy genre and is well worth reading?
Personally off the top of my head I think George R.R. Martin's A song of Ice and Fire, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (the first four, ignore everything after), stuff by Jacqueline Carey and most recently Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. Any recommendations or thoughts?

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) A few of my favorites, off the top of my head:

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series
Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series
Robin Hobb's Farseer/Liveship/Tawny Man series
Anything by Raymond Feist
Greg Keyes Kingdom of Bone and Thorne series

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1 comments Roshio, first how can you say only the first four books in the Sword of Truth? Second, what did you think about The Name of the Wind? Good or bad? Third, Drizzt, Drizzt, and Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore, the fourth book, the Crystal Shard should be read by I think everyone who loves fantasy!

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben | 39 comments i think someone should as liz to make them a moderator or ask her to make a "Theories" topic

message 5: by Carrie (Care) (last edited Jan 02, 2011 06:55AM) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments You can make a new thread (or topic). Or do you mean a whole new section?

I have read a lot of epic fantasy, but I don't read as much of it anymore. I have been reading Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations, book one is The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan . It is great. A lot of fantasy I read years ago doesn't keep my attention anymore (except WoT).

I read a lot of urban fantasy and young adult fantasy these days. 90% of my book purchases are within these genres. My favourites are Night Huntress, Kate Daniels, The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and The Mortal Instruments series.

message 6: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments Kevin wrote: "Roshio, first how can you say only the first four books in the Sword of Truth? Second, what did you think about The Name of the Wind? Good or bad? Third, Drizzt, Drizzt, and Drizzt by R.A. Salvator..."

Oh Kevin genuinely, the first four books are the only ones I would ever recommend to anyone. Book 5 was atrocious but to be honest, things picked up in Book 6 but then it all fell apart after that. I just do not think 'Emperor Jagang' was enough of a villain to warrant eleven books.
As for the Name of the Wind, I honestly think it is one of the best fantasy books I have read in a while. Give it a go if you haven't already. Its a bit slow going at the start but once you really get into it, you can't stop. Compelling stuff.
I shall put Salvatore on my to read list then! (I've never heard of him, deadly!)

@Carrie, I've had my eye on the crown conspiracy for a while now, just haven't taken the plunge. Thats next then!
I used to be addicted to urban fantasy (the first few Anita blake books especially), but ever since Twilight came out, I've found it very difficult to sift through all the rubbish and get to the good stuff. So I've just given up. (I loved the Hunger Games as well!)

Tbirdplanstoread | 1 comments Some of my fav series:

Sword of Truth (T. Goodkind)
Mistborn (B. Sanderson)
Shannara (T. Brooks)
Landover (T. Brooks)
Pretty much anything by David Eddings
Eragon (C. Paolini)
Sookie Stackhouse (C. Harris)
Dune (older stuff by J. Herbert and newer stuff by B. Herbert and K. J. Anderson)
Saga of Seven Suns (K.J. Anderson)
and the Dark Hunter series (S. Kenyon)

Right now, though, I'm finishing up Towers of Midnight and I'm about 40% through Storm Front, the first of the Dresden Files novels by Jim Butcher. I've watched the show and liked it a lot so I thought I'd give the books a try. I'm really looking forward to tackling B. Sanderson's new Stormlight Archive series' first novel: The Way of Kings. It looks intimidating and it's a whole lot heavier than RJ's books, so I want to make sure I'm done with everything else before I try to delve into it. I want to be able to give it my full attention and all...

message 8: by Faust0230 (new)

Faust0230 | 3 comments These days, i'm all over the place w/ my reading. I have read many fantasy novels (yet to add to my list - trying to recall still).
Right now i'm reading 127 hours and, i have to admit, it has captured my attention in a new way...movie is awesome as well.
There are some titles in this thread that i am going to take as good suggestions for the future. Ty.

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I also can't remember a lot of fantasy that I have read. I sold boxes of books (mostly fantasy) and I can remember little things about some books or series, but I forget so much it's not even worth asking about. There are also some series that I feel like I have read because the name and cover looks very familiar and I feel I have read it, but I don't remember a thing about it.

Kevin, I liked The Name of the Wind, but I didn't love it like most people. I plan on reading the second book that just came out. I loved Drizzt as well, but it is one of those series that I am not re-reading because a lot of books I loved then I find fall flat now years later (Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms). I want to remember it as it was.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (apsalar) All kinds of fantasy and science books.
Favourites like:
Steven Erikson
Brandon Sanderson
Terry Pratchett
Elizabeth Moon
Neil Gaiman
Maggie Furey
Jacqueline Carey
Anne Bishop
Robin Hobb
Terry Brooks
Tadd Williams (Otherland, Shadowmarch)
And many many more.

message 11: by John (new)

John | 3 comments Just finished my reread of the first 10 WOT books, so now I can continue the rest of the series for the first time. I'm about halfway through KoD.

I haven't yet read anything by Sanderson, but I just checked out the first Mistborn novel from my local library and I'll give that a try.

I too am planning to read The Name of The Wind and (probably) its follow up.

Magician, by Raymond Feist was on the of first SF books I read and I enjoy all of his books. I am looking forward to his new book in April!

Terry Brook's Magic Kingdom of Landover books are fun reads. I read his new Landover novel last year.

I've read the first six books of The Sword of Truth series. I enjoyed them a lot, but it has been several years since I read them. I started the seventh book, but it just didn't hold my attention. Maybe I'll go back to the series again in the future.

I've also read some books by Robin Hobb, Angus Wells, and Terry Pratchett. The Legend of Drizzt books are on my radar as well.

message 12: by John (new)

John Nelson | 1 comments My novel Against Nature was just released on April 5th by Wild Child Publishing. It should be available on Amazon and other retailers in a week or so. I'm a Utah writer. Check it out at www.wildchildpublishing.com
It's an action adventure thriller about a pandemic caused by an extraterrestial dustmite

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick (anti-objectivist) | 1 comments Apart from the canon of modern fantasy that everyone has listed above, I'd suggest Jennifer Fallon's Second Sons trilogy. It's definitely a less cliche-driven fantasy setting.

Someone else mentioned Greg Keyes. The first 2 books in his series were pretty amazing. His series gets metaphysical and a bit weird towards the end though.

message 14: by David (new)

David Menzies (crushedlikefruit9) I'm on the 4th Wheel of Time book, The Shadow Rising, but I'm also reading Brandon Sanderson's new epic, The Way of Kings. The Wheel of Time is my first crack at ultra-epic fantasy, and I must say that I really love it! I love the idea that I can really get lost in another world for such a long time. Although I suppose that coming to the end can be a sad thing.

message 15: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I am glad you are enjoying it! I will cry like a baby when WoT ends. It has been a part of my life for so long now, it will be weird not to have a next book coming to look forward to and speculate on.

message 16: by B.evil (last edited Jun 04, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

B.evil | 3 comments In this exact order: Robert jordan #1 Wheel of Time Series ----these book are forever on hand in any bathroom, bedroom,or reading area in my house, we pick them up and open to any given page and start reading at anytime and we read it like its the first time, so so so good, rand al'thor is by far my favorite fantasy hero of all time, over frodo, harry potter, garion it doesnt matter Rand is the BEST. some people say jordan is overly detailed, but for me, that detail is the reason why i can tell you characteristics of an arafellin or a tairen before i could tell you about some of the cultures in the real world. hands down my favorite books ever!!!

#2 David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean- I love belgarath, polgara, ce'needra, silk, garion every character in it, and the world he created, it is more young adult that the others but still one of the best for me.

#3 George RR Martin Song of Fire and Ice ---I am newer to this series only been reading it about a year now, but very good, strong characters and storyline, major plus with the show actually being well made, great actors, and they are sticking to the books very closesly

#4 Raymond E Feist Magician/Dark War/Serpent War Series-----I loved these books and have re read them many times well, Pug, Tomas, Arutha, Jimmy the Hand wonderful characters, it gets sketchy at the end of the midkemia stories, but they are still so good compared to alot of other stuff out there.

other than jordan the other three really tie out for my next favorite, but then after that for me the fantasy category gets sketchy.

I really liked the magic of recluse and then again the i believe 6th of the recluse series was the sequel to first book. after getting into it i have it ranked in my top 10 for sure.

I have tried Terry goodkind, it was decent, eragon not so much, terry brooks not so much, the first was great I loved allanon, but it felt like the same story over and over after that.

Micheal Moorcocks elric series i quit 100 pages or so into it, i just didnt like it at all. Tolkein was boring but good story.

I think I just need some new fantasy suggestions on another great series along the lines of the top four authors above.

message 17: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments On the spot B.evil, I'll have to recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss if you haven't read it. Its actually special, only way to describe it.
I really must read Magician, it seems to be on every one's must read fantasy books.

Rand's my favourite character as well, I just want to give the guy a hug.

message 18: by B.evil (new)

B.evil | 3 comments I am going to have to check that out, I am always ready to try a new fantasy, it is by far my favorite genre (if im being honest the vampire stuff is about neck and neck but i try to keep that a secret ;) dont tell).

Rands evolution especially in the last one, when it opened with the orchard just gave me chills, I cried for him and his peace of mind he achieved, when he brought Tam out and introduced him to Min. Because it was like he needed a hug for 10 books, now he is a hugger. I love it.

message 19: by David (new)

David Menzies (crushedlikefruit9) Carrie (Care) wrote: "I am glad you are enjoying it! I will cry like a baby when WoT ends. It has been a part of my life for so long now, it will be weird not to have a next book coming to look forward to and speculate on."
Yea, sometimes I don't want to read it too quickly so that I don't end the series... but I only delay the inevitable!

message 20: by Allissa (new)

Allissa | 3 comments B.evil,
I have read a few authors lately that just knocked my socks off. And since you listed books I enjoy, I thought I'd share them with you.

-Stormlord Series by Glenda Clark (I haven't read the 3rd book yet)

-Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (super slow for the first 80 pages, then awesome)

-Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series (all of these so far (on book 11) are killer good/fun to read)

-George RR Martin's Fireand Ice (wow. I just fell in love... another Jordan in my ranking)

-The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (dark, strange, sexual overtones, but a good read)

-and as Roshio already said The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss WAS SOOO GOOD! His writting is flawless, I always get caught up and never have stray thoughts about word choices the author made! :D

Trying to recall books I've read and loved, I know that I really loved Anne Rice's Vampire series.

That's all I can think of right now!
Good reading!!

message 21: by Ben (new)

Ben | 113 comments i have really high hopes for brandon sandersons stormlight archive. the way of kings really sucked me in. very strong characters can always pull me into a series